Tam Forsyth

eskbankloyal

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Canabear said:

Just heard this and it's a bitter pill to swallow for those of us who Followed the team in his era.

I'll never forget Tommy Docherty comparing Tam as a Clydesdale to Martin Buchan as a Thoroughbred and having to apologize afterwards.

RIP Jaws.

Never seen him play sadly only 31, But i have read a lot of Rangers books of the old days and knowing the history of our club he was a huge player for us. Fucking shame

5 minutes ago, TheJacketRFC said:

Never seen him play sadly only 31, But i have read a lot of Rangers books of the old days and knowing the history of our club he was a huge player for us. Fucking shame

The word Legend is thrown about all to easily nowadays but in his case it is merited.

7 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

RIP.

Could someone tell me the type of player he was? I obviously know his contributions to the club but it was well before my time.

I'm actually stunned at this news.

Look up his tackle on Mick Channon at Hampden back in 76 i think.

Channon is on a breakaway and the bold Tam catches up with him , makes the tackle without even touching him.

It's in here. Around the 7.44 mark.

25 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Tam Forsyth has passed away. 

really sad news 

So Sad.

When i was a wee boy i remember rhyming off the Ranges first 11, and Forsyth was in there will Colin Jackson,  Sandy Jardine and the others. Team barely seemed to change back then.

5 minutes ago, Canabear said:

Channon is on a breakaway and the bold Tam catches up with him , makes the tackle without even touching him.

It's in here.

7.45 in what a tackle, i never knew Tam was struggling with illness.

News

39 mins ago

Rangers legend Tom Forsyth dies age 71

By Christopher Jack  @Chris_Jack89Group Senior Sports Writer

Tom Forsyth with Davie Cooper and John Greig

4 comments

Rangers legend Tam Forsyth has died at the age of 71.

The defender made his name during a five-year spell with Motherwell before moving to Ibrox in 1972. 

Forsyth famously scored the winner in the Scottish Cup final the following year and would go on to enjoy an illustrious career in Light Blue. 

He would also represent his country on 22 occasions as he earned a place in Scottish football history. 

A statement from Rangers read: “Everyone at Rangers Football Club is sad to learn of the news that our former player, Tom Forsyth, has passed away this evening. 

“We pass on our heartfelt condolences to the entire family circle at this difficult time.”

Forsyth - known affectionately by fans as Jaws - was signed by legendary boss Jock Wallace and would win nine honours at Ibrox. 

Big Tam was part of the Treble sides of 1976 and 1978 and former team-mate Derek Johnstone told Herald and Times Sport: “Heroes come and go but legends live forever and Tam Forsyth is a legend. I am so sorry to learn of his passing and my thoughts and condolences are with his friends and family.
“As a player, you would rather play whim than against him. He played every game as if it was a cup final, whether it was Brechin or Barcelona. 

“Tam was a gentlemen off the park and a colossus on it. He will be sadly missed.”

We could use his abilities right now.

Eternity it is, big man.

Saw the thread title and feared the worst.

Was there in ‘73 for his six inch pile driver over the line and just last week I highlighted  his great tackle on Channon for Scotland v England.

Would run through brick walls for the jersey, loved him to bits.

Sad, sad day.

RIP Jaws

11 minutes ago, Canabear said:

It's in here.

7:44 for anyone else wanting to see

Thanks for sending that sir brilliant watch, some quality of player in that Scotland side

Shattered to hear it - Jaws was a favourite & I’ll never forget his “wonder goal”  (sarcasm, aye) v. them in that memorable 3-2 win against them way back in ‘73.

What a shite year this has been so far. 

Archived