Breakaway European Super League

KeyserSoze

5 minutes ago, Shuggy said:

How does this affect Rangers? If big money leaves UEFA to follow this new league, I can see us getting less than half what we earned from valuable European runs.

If this happens: there's going to be an enormous, root-and-branch reshaping of football in Europe. The upside for us is that over the last decade we've proven that we've got an extremely strong foundation - composed of a significant number of dedicated supporters and a handful of committed, wealthy fans too - which makes us extremely resilient. Some clubs might really struggle to survive the restructure but I'm confident we'll come out of it and, hopefully, emerge as one of the clubs who consistently do well in new-look UEFA tournaments (alongside the likes of Ajax, Benfica, etc.). 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just really found out about this , heavy day on the swally yesterday . :confused:

Was wondering if the players get a say , as i take it if they join up , they would be banned from playing in the World Cups and European Championships Finals and qualifiers , Scotland wouldnt lose to many players , but the likes of France , Spain  and England would be decimated .

4 minutes ago, Stillgoingstrong72 said:

Surprised everyone is going on about killing competition and closed shop when us and the manky mob have shared every title in this league since the mid 80’s.

This is the way of the world now rich clubs will dominate including us in Scotland.

Just taking the Scottish example, the point is that every team in Scotland has the opportunity (however realistic it may be) to win the league every year. The proposed ESL is now a closed shop with entry based on financial might rather sporting merit. 

4 minutes ago, stuart1994 said:

Mourinho sacked by Spurs few journalists saying it’s because he refused to take training as a protest to this shambles, don’t know how true it is, but sacking your manager the same week of a cup final is very strange. 

100% has to be something to do with the ESL

To keep this balanced though, why shouldn't clubs take their future in their own hands by breaking from a governing body that treats the majority like shit? 

UEFA and FIFA have no right to run football as a monopoly for their own wants and to get decent income, if nothing else this will force them to realise they don't own football.

2 minutes ago, rossco87 said:

Just taking the Scottish example, the point is that every team in Scotland has the opportunity (however realistic it may be) to win the league every year. The proposed ESL is now a closed shop with entry based on financial might rather sporting merit. 

The financial advantages us and them have make it a virtual impossibility.

It also gives us an advantage on how the game is governed.

The richest clubs will always dominate the landscape these days.

Feel we’re part of the problem as we’re happy to play in a two horse race year after year whilst the standard gets worse.

21 minutes ago, Stillgoingstrong72 said:

Surprised everyone is going on about killing competition and closed shop when us and the manky mob have shared every title in this league since the mid 80’s.

This is the way of the world now rich clubs will dominate including us in Scotland.

I understand the point you make but it misses the wider picture. 

We are dominant clubs due to the size of our country and the location of the population centre Glasgow with the associated fanbase that gives us - realistically it is the same in most other 'smaller' European countries ie Holland or Denmark in terms of the dominance of some sides. The historical element cannot be overlooked too - it is part of the beauty of us as a Club. That has created the wonderful historical Old Firm rivalry we share. Not a rivalry based on the size of anyones bank balance at a particular time. There have been occasional blips in the dominance - for all I hate us losing I firmly believe that Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs etc SHOULD and MUST have the chance to compete. If their finances, structure and fan base don't allow it then fine. But it should be decided by sport. Not by a committee or some overseas bunch of businesses and executives. Their fans must have the hope that they can giant kill, win a cup, get a big result. It is what makes the history and excitement of our game. Look at St Mirren doing us in the cup earlier in the season......think of the joy they had when they won the Scottish cup in the 80s. Their fans still love and talk of those moments....and it allowed a platform for guys like Ian Ferguson to shine and come to us. 

Don't overlook the importance of the other clubs in the pyramid - it is not only about our dominance. It is about the promotion and relegation. All the teams that get a chance to play us and get some of the blue pound when our fans come to town. Think about our journey in the last few years and some of the small clubs and communities, pubs, businesses that has helped sustain.... 

The “Champions League” where four teams from one country could enter :confused: was the thin end of the wedge.

I still have my doubts this SuperLeague will happen because of the ban on representing your country at major tournaments.

Barca, Madrid players etc can only drive one Ferrari at a time, they are already loaded. But winning the Euros, World Cup etc is about pride and glory and joining the greats.

Proud of the Germans telling them to fuck off. SuperLeague with no Bayern, Dortmund, PSG etc is like a car with no engine : can only go downhill.

29 minutes ago, stuart1994 said:

Aye it looks like it’ll shaft the UEFA competitions. 

We don’t know how it’ll affect things as yet, if it does indeed happen. A lot of unhappy fans. I have no I interest in watching a closed competition.

9 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

To keep this balanced though, why shouldn't clubs take their future in their own hands by breaking from a governing body that treats the majority like shit? 

UEFA and FIFA have no right to run football as a monopoly for their own wants and to get decent income, if nothing else this will force them to realise they don't own football.

There is still a chance that this will result in changes to the UCL, making it even more big club friendly.

Sickening though that either way it will result in the throttling of a fair competition.

3 minutes ago, TheFamousPigeon said:

American driven; Glazers at Manchester United apparently. 

Fuckin inbred ginger hillbillies already indebted the club to fund themselves. Should be run out of town . That is of course if they ever bother to come to town in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

The “Champions League” where four teams from one country could enter :confused: was the thin end of the wedge.

I still have my doubts this SuperLeague will happen because of the ban on representing your country at major tournaments.

Barca, Madrid players etc can only drive one Ferrari at a time, they are already loaded. But winning the Euros, World Cup etc is about pride and glory and joining the greats.

Proud of the Germans telling them to fuck off. SuperLeague with no Bayern, Dortmund, PSG etc is like a car with no engine : can only go downhill.

I wish they really would be chucked out of their associations.

3 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

It’s not just the ban on representing your country. What happens when a players contract runs out and the super mob don’t want him any more. If FIFA impose proper bans they players are fucked and career is over.

25 minutes ago, Stillgoingstrong72 said:

Also didn’t we and the manky mob have a deal where we veto every others clubs votes in the SPL era?

The richest clubs will always dominate the landscape.

But did we ever choose 12 clubs and say that is our new league forever so nobody else need bother to try for promotion

1 minute ago, folkestoneger said:

It’s not just the ban on representing your country. What happens when a players contract runs out and the super mob don’t want him any more. If FIFA impose proper bans they players are fucked and career is over.

Spot on.

Greed over common sense and respect for the history of the beautiful game.

1 minute ago, folkestoneger said:

Excellent point. No more money moves to China and the US, so are these superstars going to take massive pay cuts to stay in the Super League as bit part players when their legs have gone?

See if it was mid table clubs from the major leagues doing this nobody would bat an eyelid, they'd get banned from the leagues and told to go for it

The fact its the 'big clubs' means people are worrying & that is just playing right into their hands, they know they have the power to do it & now have the financial backing

Uefa/Fifa aren't fit for purpose & haven't been for years, let them do it, see what happens, be an interesting change. Just make sure they have no way back into their respective leagues if it goes tits up

Archived