Breakaway European Super League

KeyserSoze

4 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

It’s not just the ban on representing your country. What happens when a players contract runs out and the super mob don’t want him any more. If FIFA impose proper bans they players are fucked and career is over.

I think FIFA should be banning clubs, not the players. I cant imagine a player being declined the chance to return to the normal leagues, just because he grew up in Man Utd youth system, lets say. The punishment will be much lower income, to go back to EPL or so. But still, here comes the love for the game. We can only hope that some of them nowdays proffesional footballers still know what that is. 

8 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

See if it was mid table clubs from the major leagues doing this nobody would bat an eyelid, they'd get banned from the leagues and told to go for it

The fact its the 'big clubs' means people are worrying & that is just playing right into their hands, they know they have the power to do it & now have the financial backing

Uefa/Fifa aren't fit for purpose & haven't been for years, let them do it, see what happens, be an interesting change. Just make sure they have no way back into their respective leagues if it goes tits up

You’re right FIFA and UEFA are shit. The breaking away to form another body isn’t the problem it’s the fucking nerve to think shite like Spurs and Arsenal deserve a place forever no matter where they finish in the set up.

If they threatened their own competition but had entry on merit and proper routes to the top league through relegation and promotion I doubt there would be so much outrage

Just now, demise said:

I think FIFA should be banning clubs, not the players. I cant imagine a player being declined the chance to return to the normal leagues, just because he grew up in Man Utd youth system, lets say. The punishment will be much lower income, to go back to EPL or so. But still, here comes the love for the game. We can only hope that some of them nowdays proffesional footballers still know what that is. 

They could walk away from those clubs now and not be banned. Would easily qualify as constructive dismissal if they resigned because of a massive change to their employment conditions

2 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

They could walk away from those clubs now and not be banned. Would easily qualify as constructive dismissal if they resigned because of a massive change to their employment conditions

I agree, but we have to remember that most of those big club players refused to drop their salaries with 10-15-20 %, to save other peoples jobs within their clubs. I doubt that there will be many to just walk away now. Once a player do, he would be, an rightly so imo, recognised as a walking legend. 

21 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

The “Champions League” where four teams from one country could enter :confused: was the thin end of the wedge.

I still have my doubts this SuperLeague will happen because of the ban on representing your country at major tournaments.

Barca, Madrid players etc can only drive one Ferrari at a time, they are already loaded. But winning the Euros, World Cup etc is about pride and glory and joining the greats.

Proud of the Germans telling them to fuck off. SuperLeague with no Bayern, Dortmund, PSG etc is like a car with no engine : can only go downhill.

Btw mate this isn’t a dig at you but more raising the point generally. They’re all as bad as each other, the only reason the Germans aren’t involved (yet) is because they are 51% fan owned so it was never getting off the ground with those clubs. As for PSG they’re owned by Qatar and they could kiss goodbye to the World Cup if they’d have gone through with it. 

8 minutes ago, JamieD said:

City fans on Bluemoon seem unimpressed.

Problem is football fans are fickle as fuck, especially the current generation of young adults who have grown up with the Hollywood version of the Premier League. So many will posture and show defiance.. until it actually happens... then all the broadcasters and the majority of fans will fall in line leaving the clubs free to chase Asian, African and American cash.

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

Never understood that patter towards City

Had a core of 15-20k that stuck with them, and now half the stadium is filled with tourists and unless it’s a big game struggle to fill their stadium. Pumped with oil money they haven’t earned and act like a big club.

The epitome of a diddy club who happen to have lots of money and think they’re ‘big’. Just fucking annoys me. Hate most English clubs now to be fair. 

3 minutes ago, maverick1200 said:

If the plan was to force UEFA in increasing the Champs League. It has succeeded! UEFA have voted to increased the number of teams in the champs from 2024.

Also Chelsea have also left the European Club Association this morning. 

I'm sure the clubs involved in the ESL were dead set against increasing numbers. As it meant money being shared more. 

What these clubs want is a competition they control, know they'll play in every season regardless of their league form and can hoover up all the money to themselves. 

8 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

You’re right FIFA and UEFA are shit. The breaking away to form another body isn’t the problem it’s the fucking nerve to think shite like Spurs and Arsenal deserve a place forever no matter where they finish in the set up.

If they threatened their own competition but had entry on merit and proper routes to the top league through relegation and promotion I doubt there would be so much outrage

Right or wrong, they're saying Arsenal/Spurs deserve a place because of the club sizes/fanbase/revenue etc, tbh I can't really argue against that. 

Fifa/Uefa are going nuts about it because they're losing the power, they know their big European competitions are diminished without those clubs & the leagues themselves would be a shitshow if you took those clubs out. 

If your an owner of 1 of the clubs you'd be silly not to get involved in this, aye its all about money but they're argument is we bring in most of the money so splitting it evenly across the league makes no sense. As for the whole argument from pundits about the heart of football being ripped out...

The heart of football got ripped out years ago when you started paying bang average players 250k a week 

Apparently the government are looking at various options including forcing the 51% fan ownership rule that German football has.

The government can intervene if UK based companies go against the general interests of the UK. When the PL was created in the 90s it needed governmental approval.

Just now, BlueKnight87 said:

I'm sure the clubs involved in the ESL were dead set against increasing numbers. As it meant money being shared more. 

What these clubs want is a competition they control, know they'll play in every season regardless of their league form and can hoover up all the money to themselves. 

Possibly. The American owners are definitely looking at a closed NFL model.

8 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

To be fair, if you asked Man City fans where Manchester was most would struggle. 

Obviously the new global fanbase since the Emirati money came in has no claim on any genuine support for the club, but I doubt those people are the people voting no in that forum poll. I have known a fair few lifelong City fans who have always seemed pretty uncomfortable with the Petrodollar Era and its successes, to be honest. Not to say that they don't like winning trophies, but they're not deluded into thinking it has been done in some romantic, Roy Race way, and they feel that something that was there when they were shite has been lost in the journey to becoming good. This would just be the nail in the coffin of the club they started supporting. I mean, look at the state of this: