Breakaway European Super League

KeyserSoze

2 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Right or wrong, they're saying Arsenal/Spurs deserve a place because of the club sizes/fanbase/revenue etc, tbh I can't really argue against that. 

Fifa/Uefa are going nuts about it because they're losing the power, they know their big European competitions are diminished without those clubs & the leagues themselves would be a shitshow if you took those clubs out. 

If your an owner of 1 of the clubs you'd be silly not to get involved in this, aye its all about money but they're argument is we bring in most of the money so splitting it evenly across the league makes no sense. As for the whole argument from pundits about the heart of football being ripped out...

The heart of football got ripped out years ago when you started paying bang average players 250k a week

The solution to that isn’t to make things a million times worse 

9 minutes ago, maverick1200 said:

If the plan was to force UEFA in increasing the Champs League. It has succeeded! UEFA have voted to increased the number of teams in the champs from 2024.

Also Chelsea have also left the European Club Association this morning. 

I think the "elite' club's wanted the opposite. They wanted it more exclusive and a better share of the pot.

5 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Right or wrong, they're saying Arsenal/Spurs deserve a place because of the club sizes/fanbase/revenue etc, tbh I can't really argue against that. 

Fifa/Uefa are going nuts about it because they're losing the power, they know their big European competitions are diminished without those clubs & the leagues themselves would be a shitshow if you took those clubs out. 

If your an owner of 1 of the clubs you'd be silly not to get involved in this, aye its all about money but they're argument is we bring in most of the money so splitting it evenly across the league makes no sense. As for the whole argument from pundits about the heart of football being ripped out...

The heart of football got ripped out years ago when you started paying bang average players 250k a week 

Why can't you argue against that though? What does fanbase and revenue actually have to do with sporting competition? It's not like Arsenal and especially Spurs have built their large fanbase and revenue due to success on the pitch. They are, very clearly, not in the top 12 most successful European clubs at football, either now or in the full view of their history, even if they are at marketing. They deserve a place, no doubt, in a Super League of club executives, competitively waving their balance sheets at each other, but they haven't demonstrated any qualification to be in a Super League of sporting competition.

Just now, simplythebest said:

The solution to that isn’t to make things a million times worse 

How does this make anything better or worse though?

This is to replace European football so I'll put their domestic stuff to the side at the moment

Right now you have elite European football controlled by a proven corrupt organisation who are stuck in the stone ages on various topics & who do anything for the sake of money

Now it'll be controlled by billionaire owners who again are only interested in money but who can advertise more appealing matches regularly. 

Football has had the arse ripped out of it already, there is no going back on that now so you either double down & go for the American approach or you stick with what you have. 

2 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

How does this make anything better or worse though?

This is to replace European football so I'll put their domestic stuff to the side at the moment

Right now you have elite European football controlled by a proven corrupt organisation who are stuck in the stone ages on various topics & who do anything for the sake of money

Now it'll be controlled by billionaire owners who again are only interested in money but who can advertise more appealing matches regularly. 

Football has had the arse ripped out of it already, there is no going back on that now so you either double down & go for the American approach or you stick with what you have. 

Sounds like a bit of a scorched earth approach you have there. While football has become very heavily money based it’s not a totally closed shop and anyone can at least dream in theory even if the odds are stacked against 

With this route the ladder is getting pulled up completely and it’s heading towards American franchise territory where there’s no sporting merit involved at all 

If we were offered £350m to join this league it’s something that the board would have to seriously consider.

Its a glorified Champions League with money it’s not as bad as first made out.

The only thing is teams like Spurs and AC Milan who’ve won fuck all in 15 years getting in automatically 

2 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Why can't you argue against that though? What does fanbase and revenue actually have to do with sporting competition? It's not like Arsenal and especially Spurs have built their large fanbase and revenue due to success on the pitch. They are, very clearly, not in the top 12 most successful European clubs at football, either now or in the full view of their history, even if they are at marketing. They deserve a place, no doubt, in a Super League of club executives, competitively waving their balance sheets at each other, but they haven't demonstrated any qualification to be in a Super League of sporting competition.

Same reason why the 'Champions League' has been a lie for years, it's full of clubs who regularly finish 4th/5th in their leagues each season. 

I'm glad they're actually touting it as a the 'Super League', it's more truthful that what we currently have. It's a league of the worlds most money rich clubs who want to play each other during the week to earn more money, it's a damn sight more honest than what we have currently!

Football's been going down the route of Basketball's ridiculous contracts for years now, this is just the next step unfortunately for them to wrestle control out of UEFA's hands and earn themselves more cash.

I’m glad we won’t be offered a spot tbh, I’m enjoying watching all the fans of United and Liverpool complain about this when they rarely went to games anyway.

Don’t realise that them having all their tv packages to watch at home is part of the reason this happened :lol:

2 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

Sounds like a bit of a scorched earth approach you have there. While football has become very heavily money based it’s not a totally closed shop and anyone can at least dream in theory even if the odds are stacked against 

With this route the ladder is getting pulled up completely and it’s heading towards American franchise territory where there’s no sporting merit involved at all 

My first point on all of this was that the clubs NEED to be removed from their respective leagues, let them go ahead and do what they want to do with this Super League (If it fails though they're on their own)

That, in theory, would allow these other clubs who dream to go ahead and compete on an even keel (as much as possible) with the rest of the teams left in their league. If the average fan (seems to be a lot of them hating on this) wants to watch a more competitive league then you'll have it right there. 

What they want though is for these clubs to stay in their leagues, be controlled by Fifa/Uefa & continue to bring in revenue for everybody else because they are the main draw...there's no other business where an owner would stand by and allow that. 

3 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

My first point on all of this was that the clubs NEED to be removed from their respective leagues, let them go ahead and do what they want to do with this Super League (If it fails though they're on their own)

This is an important point and why the contempt shown for fans is despicable. One of the main reasons we are still here is because of our support. If anything the bond between the club and us has become even stronger after the last 10 years. Do we honestly believe that virtual fans from China would have bailed us out? Do they even know where Govan is? Would they care about the naming rights of Ibrox? Cared about tie-ins with Sports Direct? We are Rangers and the Club is us, our history and our area and traditions. These pirate clubs when they inevitably chase more cash and over exert themselves will need someone to care. Most of the fans of these clubs are tourists and glory hunters. They will just move on to the next mug that satisfies them. Why would fans or leagues take any of these clubs back if there are problems. They are alienating their own fans and selling the game down the river. 

Mad how angry all the English fans were when realistically, they let sky prostitute their game for years and in a way cause this by becoming the capitalist league and baiting in the Glaziers etc.

Welcome to the bottom of the food chain. Make yourself comfortable.

2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Although the EPL is a money making device, it’s still a sporting competition. You can in theory work your way up and become champions. 

This Super League is like a glorified preseason tournament. Can’t be relegated. Can’t build your way up. Invite only. With fuck all to play for.

No I agree mate. And the prem League was still aimed at the working class and fans. However for too.long they have looked down on other leagues as farmers leagues based on the league they play in simply because it was a well oiled, capitalist machine. 

35 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Mad how angry all the English fans were when realistically, they let sky prostitute their game for years and in a way cause this by becoming the capitalist league and baiting in the Glaziers etc.

Welcome to the bottom of the food chain. Make yourself comfortable.

Man United fans literally fucked off and made their own club due to the Glazers, been wanting sold for years. Green and Gold etc.

Arsenal, and Spurs fans have been wanting rid of their owners for years as well. Hardly the fault of the fans 

22 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Also, might just be me but I think it’ll be a struggle to maintain local interest in this thing. 

22 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Also, might just be me but I think it’ll be a struggle to maintain local interest in this thing. 

Going to watch Barcelona at one of these things would be like going to see the Harlem Globetrotters on an exhibition tour. The novelty would wear off very fast even for the plastic football fans that would watch it.