Champions***** V Real Madrid

bluenoz

2 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

First leg in '63 was at home. I remember watching it on TV. Had to have been black and white in those days. Second leg was not on TV so I had to wait until the paper arrived to see we lost 6-0. Then off to school. Childhood memories.

Can you confirm mate that they moved their home leg to a training pitch next to their stadium?

Absolutely positive I read this in an old Rangers book from the 70s handed down to me

1 minute ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Can you confirm mate that they moved their home leg to a training pitch next to their stadium?

Absolutely positive I read this in an old Rangers book from the 70s handed down to me

No idea. I just remember seeing the result the following morning.

5 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Afraid not.

However, have some video of the second leg.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVA2O8EJFIYCJL62FOWHD6556YQO-SPAIN-REAL-MADRID-BEAT-GLASGOW-RANGERS-IN-EUROPEAN-CUP-TIE/query/glasgow

6 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

This says otherwise

https://www.footballdatabase.eu/en/match/summary/1054089-real_madrid-glasgow_rangers

2 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

I know mate I saw that but I’m sure I read that the game wasn’t actually played in the main stadium but a pitch beside the main stadium 

31 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Wasn't the home leg first?

Regardless, they are an excellent team and it will be a great workout for our squad.

At least we know they won't sit back and hold on for a draw. Friendlies are usually boring but I think this game will have an edge to it. 

Posted an apology a couple of posts after that one mate.
Puskas scored late in the 1st match at Ibrox,then they went to town on us away with Puskas scoring a hat trick in a 6-0 defeat.
Tiger Shaw pointed out it might have been at their training ground.
Remember reading a story about them playing teams from lower leagues to help them rack up big scores at the start of the season.
Seemed to work against us :mutley:
Quite sure their reserves will give us a game :thumbsup:   

Just now, TamCoopz said:

Is this today’s match thread or a discussion thread for old cunts? 

Match thread will only get going after the team is announced in about 8 hours time. Meanwhile I see no harm in reminiscing about the only time we played Real Madrid. 

Just now, esquire8 said:

Piss poor squad they've sent. Surely with the full 1st team we should be beating this mob.

They will have a lot of quality in their second string but I agree that if we play anything close to our 1st team then we will win the match.

Hope we play it like a competitive game rather than a pre season game in terms of team selection and subs. Granted, this isn’t a star studded squad they’ve sent but will be good to see how our first 11 looks before next Sunday.

9 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Is it true we haven't played them since '63? Surely no?

Despite the team they put out, it is an occasion to behold

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic

Lundstram Davis Kamara

Hagi  Sakala Kent

I never make match threads. Off to bed pished...

Where’s roofe? No sign of him yesterday.