Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

2 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Don't want him to go, but there's a bit of excitement in who we could go and get now.

This job isn't the shit show that Gerrard inherited 3 and a bit years ago 

I wish I could have this optimism. I'm terrified about the prospect of who we appoint next. 

Just now, RFC55 said:

Don't want him to go, but there's a bit of excitement in who we could go and get now.

This job isn't the shit show that Gerrard inherited 3 and a bit years ago 

I've been thinking exactly that as well. Don't want to never see another presser or reaction from him when we score, will be sad but our squad must be an intriguing prospect for someone to come in and take over, and I'd be excited to see who it is.

5 minutes ago, tm91 said:

He's obviously had his media training, but I think he does this far more than just in press conferences. He knew Rangers fans would love him spinning narratives about how he's come to love the club and was happy to say the 'right' stuff about winning trophies, building legacies etc. He's very adept at telling people what they want to hear.

They all come out with that shite. And thats what it is . Shite. Every manager alive is in this game for self advancement, as soon as they see what they think is a better option then theyre off, every single one of them. Its a bit naive for anyone not to see this. Alex Ferguson and Walter smith were the last of a breed. They actually put their clubs first, they truly did "get it", If he ever gets to liverpool gerrard might be like that but with us it was always just going to be a sound bite.

5 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Said it yesterday, we should hopefully have had some sort of contingency plan in place for him leaving in the summer, it seemed like it was coming to a natural conclusion anyway

Whether that can be brought forward to now if the person happens to be available is another story.

Although I really wouldn't be surprised if we do go for an interim manager till the summer & deal with it then when we know whether it's Champions League money or it's selling players.

This board and contingency plans don't go together. At all.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

If he goes then you are hoping guys like McGregor, Davis, Arfield and Jack firstly stay fit and then secondly are the ones to step up and basically self manage the playing squad through the transition of Managers. 

Need real leaders in the dressing room as it is going to be a turbulent month ahead.

2 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

I think he could make a shortlist but don't think there's any chance of us going for him If that makes sense 

I see where you're coming from. I actually quite like Jack tbh and he's a pretty decent coach and manager - think the pressure here would buckle him though.

1 minute ago, ShanksRFC said:

He sets his team up very similar to Gerrards so it would make a lot of sense.

It could prove a disaster getting someone in who sets the team up differently.

Already a good few of us aboard the GvB hype train for the past 12 hours. Chooo chooooooo

It’s going to have to be a top calibre manager to replace him if we expect someone to come into the job mid season and bomb through the next run of games.

Hibs semi, all the more difficult away games, and a potential Cup Final against that lot. Then a season defining Old Firm away to them with no Rangers fans.

How enticing…