Who should be captain?

NorthernLights

19 minutes ago, heathen fish boy said:

To me a team shouldn't really need a captain,should have eleven guys out there up for the fight,a wee bit of cloth is nothing without spirit in the squad 

Far too soft centred, we have no players that would take the ball n through the man in a challenge, possibly Ryan Jack and that's it.

Simple as, not tough enough nor the desire to win.

17 hours ago, SonicWill said:

The captaincy is symbolic and has no real impact on anything. It's nothing more than an armband.

What matters is the character and professionalism of those in the dressing room. Changing captain won't do anything apart from tank the morale of Tav and Goldson.

Unless he lacks hunger, presence on the field and prone to making costly mistakes.

13 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Glenn Kamara is never a liability but he shouldn’t get the armband either. Jack has been a key player in a side which has failed several times too. Putting a piece of elastic around his arm isn’t going to suddenly make him become this all conquering leader who drives the team on to win games that they wouldn’t have before. The captaincy might change in the summer but there’s nobody at the club worthy of taking it from Tav right now.

So we’ll be signing an ‘all conquering leader’ in the summer then? I cannae wait to see who it is.

What I’d like to see is a captain who fronts the press after games, good AND bad. 

If Tav can’t face the media in the face of a defeat then he’s not captain material. End of.

43 minutes ago, beararse said:

What I’d like to see is a captain who fronts the press after games, good AND bad. 

You mean like Goldson did? He fronted up and called out the exact things that everybody has been saying on here for months now and he’s been absolutely slated across the board for it.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

You mean like Goldson did? He fronted up and called out the exact things that everybody has been saying on here for months now and he’s been absolutely slated across the board for it.

Thats because everything he said could be directed straight at himself.

But deserves credit for the interview. Was just reading Goughs comments and he nailed it.......

19 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

You honestly think what he said was acceptable?

Fair play to him for speaking after the game but admitting he felt were beaten at 3-1 with half the game still to play means fans have every right to slate him. 
it’s one thing folk like you and I saying stuff on here in complete anonymity but a vice captain admitting it in front of the cameras is beyond comprehension. 

4 minutes ago, beararse said:

You honestly think what he said was acceptable?

Fair play to him for speaking after the game but admitting he felt were beaten at 3-1 with half the game still to play means fans have every right to slate him. 
it’s one thing folk like you and I saying stuff on here in complete anonymity but a vice captain admitting it in front of the cameras is beyond comprehension. 

He didn't have to mention what they thought at half time, if he came out and said in his opinion the hunger has gone and the fire has gone from players, everyone would have accepted that, but the fact he said the players thought at HT that the game was done was the damage maker

See if you’re not already acting like a captain. Then you’re not a captain. 

Take guys around Gough (at the time for example), likes of Moore, McCall, Ferguson, Gascoigne, McCoist, Laudrup, Hateley - all leaders in their own right. Led by example, demanded standards and won their battles.

If you’re in the current squad and not already do all that then a bit of elastic round your arm does nothing. 

Jack could take it, maybe Helander. That’s about it though. Probably do more harm than good making a change to be honest. 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Take guys around Gough (at the time for example), likes of Moore, McCall, Ferguson, Gascoigne, McCoist, Laudrup, Hateley - all leaders in their own right. Led by example, demanded standards and won their battles.

If you’re in the current squad and not already do all that then a bit of elastic round your arm does nothing. 

Jack could take it, maybe Helander. That’s about it though. Probably do more harm than good making a change to be honest. 

Gave you a like because of the gist of your point mate. Not because of Jack or Helander just because of the injuries. Fuck knows who to give the captains armband to. That’s an issue in itself. 

2 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

When you look at these players from that era and add Brown, Robertson, etc just about any of them could have been Captain.

On 22/11/2021 at 13:23, Moody Blue Legend said:

He won’t change our captain.

Should be Jack.

A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you whole heartedly. 

I think that a captain should be an ever present as much as possible and given his unfortunate injury problems over the past couple of seasons that would rule him out as captain for the present time IMO.

I think we ‘had’ a captain in waiting, namely Goldson ! Last season was a rock and banged in good few goals but unsettled this year for sure although not sure deserves all stick gets.

Think needs more support from right/left backs and midfield when required. Missed likes of Jack for this.

1 hour ago, Hadron Collider said:

Gave you a like because of the gist of your point mate. Not because of Jack or Helander just because of the injuries. Fuck knows who to give the captains armband to. That’s an issue in itself. 

I honestly wouldn’t rule out Gio going out and getting a player, probably a centre half, that he’s worked with before in January to come in and be his defacto leader on the pitch in the short term.

If you look at some of the centre halves he had at Feyernoord a lot of them wouldn’t or shouldn’t be out of our reach financially even if it was as a stop gap until the summer on a loan or short term deal.

Van Beek - 27 - Heerenveen

St Juste - 25 - Mainz

Van Der Heijden- 33 - Free Agent

Botteghin - 34 - Ascoli

Kongolo- 27 - Fulham

I think this thread is rather pointless at the moment, Gio said yesterday that he had spoken with Tav on Monday morning and I got no indication that a change in captain is imminent.

That does not mean in a few weeks that might not change, but he will want to see himself what Tav can do for him, if it is not what he wants or needs then I have no doubt it will happen.     

23 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

He didn't have to mention what they thought at half time, if he came out and said in his opinion the hunger has gone and the fire has gone from players, everyone would have accepted that, but the fact he said the players thought at HT that the game was done was the damage maker

Agreed. There’s ways of phrasing it that isn’t “well we’re never going to come back from two goals down so might as well not have bothered with the second half”

5 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Agreed. There’s ways of phrasing it that isn’t “well we’re never going to come back from two goals down so might as well not have bothered with the second half”

ye that's pathetic even thinking you can't come back from 3-1 down.  Fck even 3-3 at full time and goes to extra time and pens if need be.

if any of the players thought that they should never play for us again