Our new style of play

Redwhiteandblue

1 minute ago, LaaRFC said:

Some Dutch journo was on H&H when Gio was announced and he basically said not to expect an overly exciting style of play. 

Said Gio was very pragmatic and 1-0 wins were the norm as he lead Feyenoord to the title. 

Games like tonight and Dundee Utd at home might be something we need to get used to enduring

Short term - if it brings us the league this season I'll happily take it.

Beyond that I'd prefer us to have a modern attacking passing style of football. Think most players these days prefer playing like that too.

9 minutes ago, philiprfc said:

In terms of our system and shape, we aren't as good as under Gerrard (before this season) imo. Results have improved because he is getting more out of our better players, but what happens when they aren't available? Even then, I don't think there's been a lot of good performances. If you play shite, you'll inevitably drop points.

Add to that concerning defensive mentality going into tough away games which I'm not a fan of.

I just hope this is down to the fact that he probably doesn't have the players he needs/wants, we really need to get a few players in before the end of the window.

Attack wins you games, defence wins you titles. Since Gio has came in we've been solid defensively. Why would we not play to our strengths?

Agree with your last bit and it probably explains why we sometimes sit back.

We were expecting Dutch total football but instead right now we have a more Italian style going 1 up then sitting back on the counter. Worked for the Italians for years so not against it.

5 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

When Gio first came in it was evident and pleasantly Surprising how we had changed. It was badly needed also.  Tonight though that was a Gerrardesque performance in every way for me. The last few games we have struggled against the high press (Aberdeen, Hearts) and now the teams lying deep tonight.

Gerrards sides were front foot pressing trying to dominate, coming up short often in bottle/individual errors.

I personally liked the style now we are passive, compact defensively but lacking in urgency and drive. We weren't perfect under gerrard and not good this season but the project you could gey behind. If results are not good it would be hard to believe in and support our new style.

4 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Thank fuck you're not the manager Jimbo.

One player in the centre of the park protecting the defence doesn't mean we can't play attacking football. Sands wasn't the issue and reminds me a bit of Hemdani so far who was also underappreciated.

Tav staying back is mental. He has by far our most creative outlet for several seasons. Similar Barisic.

But we dont have one player sitting protecting, we have two, thats why he's pointless, kamara is more than good enough to do that role

And my point about tav and barisic is that they can create all they want, when theres barely anyone in the box to target then its brutal, playing one out and out striker at home without a proper number 10 (like arfield) means our striker is a lonely bastard in the box, before arfield scored that goal who in the team makes that run he does, barisic still would hit the line and cross into the box but to who? 

Id much prefer against jobber like tonight to see a 4132, granted we dont have proper wingers tonight as wright was honking and sakala is more of a striker, but other times we do, 

Wouldn't read too much into tonight, that was nothing like our starting 11 and our 3 of our most valuable and attack minded players were all missing (Kent, Aribo, Morelos).  Not surprising we looked blunt when you replace them with Wright, Sands and Itten.  On the subject of Sands, he looks a replacement for Davis/Kamara rather than a player to play alongside them.

If we go with.

Jack/Arfield   Kamara

Aribo

Kent     Roofe/Morelos   Sakala

Am sure we will be fine going forward and create score plenty of chances, Ross County on Saturday will get us all back abroad the Gio train

2 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Attack wins you games, defence wins you titles. Since Gio has came in we've been solid defensively. Why would we not play to our strengths?

Agree with your last bit and it probably explains why we sometimes sit back.

We were expecting Dutch total football but instead right now we have a more Italian style going 1 up then sitting back on the counter. Worked for the Italians for years so not against it.

Its funny you say about the defence, totally agree and ironically it comes when tav and barisic are kinda curbed in their attacking sense, instead focusing on our front foot players to do the bulk of the attacking 

I actually think we had a bit more energy and intensity about us at times tonight (but could, and should, have more).

For me, the bigger issue isn’t the style, but how little quality certain players had at key times and how poor some of their decision making was.

1 minute ago, Nk89 said:

If we go with.

Jack/Arfield   Kamara

Aribo

Kent     Roofe/Morelos   Sakala

Am sure we will be fine going forward and create score plenty of chances, Ross County on Saturday will get us all back abroad the Gio train

Against jobber lot id just keep kamara as that sitting role and play both roofe and morelos up front in the box causing it

7 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

10 wins 2 draws 3 goals conceded

Loving it

Worth throwing in that one of those draws and one of those goals conceded was away to Lyon.

Even the other draw and one of the other two goals conceded was at Pittodrie and isn't that out of the ordinary for a title winning side.

10 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Its funny you say about the defence, totally agree and ironically it comes when tav and barisic are kinda curbed in their attacking sense, instead focusing on our front foot players to do the bulk of the attacking 

and this is one of my main problems with the set up, these two have been our main creators, especially Tav. We are telling Tav to sit deep so Wright on his side in front can take the baw and do what, exactly? That isn't playing to your strengths.

As for defence wins you titles, I don't disagree with the statement, but the sitting off and invitation of pressure in these games is really concerning. Hearts and Hibs away were not defensive masterclasses, we were lucky to take 6 pts. Aberdeen we were lucky to draw.

15 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

But we dont have one player sitting protecting, we have two, thats why he's pointless, kamara is more than good enough to do that role

And my point about tav and barisic is that they can create all they want, when theres barely anyone in the box to target then its brutal, playing one out and out striker at home without a proper number 10 (like arfield) means our striker is a lonely bastard in the box, before arfield scored that goal who in the team makes that run he does, barisic still would hit the line and cross into the box but to who? 

Id much prefer against jobber like tonight to see a 4132, granted we dont have proper wingers tonight as wright was honking and sakala is more of a striker, but other times we do, 

Tonight we had one sitting midfielder mate. Kamara was further forward (uncomfortably so when he got within 20 yards of the goal) until Arfield came on in the second half. Until then Sands in that quiet unappreciated role didn't really put a foot wrong.

We've tightened up which was needed. The negative side of that is that we've lost some of the threat the full backs offered, especially Tav.

Hard to fully assess until the fuller squad is available and the window closes hopefully with new signings.. But in honesty, right now, we're pretty turgid and I can't say I'm convinced by it.

Tbf we had 8 players out and I’d wager 4 of them start in that team tonight. 

I’ve kinda took a step back now and realised again that it’s all about wins in a title race and performances despite at the time being horrible take a backseat when all is said and done. For the majority of the last decade and I include last season in that we’ve almost forgot what it’s like to be in a race for the league because it never really felt like we were after 4-5 months of the season. 

We’ve tightened up sharply and with Aribo, Morelos, Kent and Helander all walk into that starting 11 tonight at least. If we can get through until all of those are back we’ll be absolutely fine

54 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Said last week on here it looked as though our great start under Gio was down to improved performances by Aribo and Scotty. I still think thats the case , that tonight was as bad as any of the rats games.

We need at least 2-3 good first team players signed now if we are going to win this , no more signings like Sands etc......

As positive as ever...