Our new style of play

Redwhiteandblue

Is anyone enjoying this?

I'm missing our high press and the distance of our number 10's from the striker is too far for me. 

It seems that Geo has forgotten that teams sit in against us. We're playing like the way opposition teams play against us. The whole team is sitting too far deep and keep on backing off from players allowing the opposition to get near (and often into) our box then when we win the ball back we only have one player in the opposition half making it difficult for us to get the opposition to be pinned back.

I noticed it when Geo first came in and was hoping that it wouldn't get any worse after the break which it unfortunately has. 

I have no idea what our recent possession has been, but it has to be a lot less than the usual 60/70% we were having before. 

We don't need Sands to be in this team, Kamara is enough. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I fear for how things are going to turn out for us unless we get back to pinning teams back in their own half. 

Said last week on here it looked as though our great start under Gio was down to improved performances by Aribo and Scotty. I still think thats the case , that tonight was as bad as any of the rats games.

We need at least 2-3 good first team players signed now if we are going to win this , no more signings like Sands etc......

Just now, sassaaaa said:

Said last week on here it looked as though our great start under Gio was down to improved performances by Aribo and Scotty. I still think thats the case , that tonight was as bad as any of the rats games.

We need at least 2-3 good first team players signed now if we are going to win this , nomore signings like Sands etc......

In fairness, we have Aribo, Morelos, Arfield, Jack, Davis, Roofe, Helander, Kent all to come back into contention for a starting spot.   I know Arfield and Roofe were on the bench tonight but both coming back from injuries.  Once we have a fully fit squad we will be fine.  Tonights starting line up was far from our strongest.

I prefer Gio's approach but we are completely lacking wide players and a natural number 10 to make his system work.

Kent can do the left side wide role but no-one on the right at all who can do that role effectively.

1 hour ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Is anyone enjoying this?

I'm missing our high press and the distance of our number 10's from the striker is too far for me. 

It seems that Geo has forgotten that teams sit in against us. We're playing like the way opposition teams play against us. The whole team is sitting too far deep and keep on backing off from players allowing the opposition to get near (and often into) our box then when we win the ball back we only have one player in the opposition half making it difficult for us to get the opposition to be pinned back.

I noticed it when Geo first came in and was hoping that it wouldn't get any worse after the break which it unfortunately has. 

I have no idea what our recent possession has been, but it has to be a lot less than the usual 60/70% we were having before. 

We don't need Sands to be in this team, Kamara is enough. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I fear for how things are going to turn out for us unless we get back to pinning teams back in their own half. 

We’ve just watched them play pish with 70% possession 

10 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

We need at least 2-3 good first team players signed now if we are going to win this , no more signings like Sands etc......

Never happening though.

12 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Did you forget about how pish we've been since about March last year?

Exactly...there's been no change in how we play. 

We are horrendous at the simple things. Simple passes are behind, short, too wide, too long. Our ability to make space and angles is zero, the movement in general is poor

Until Arfield came back in we had no midfielder who could run into the box beyond a striker.

Just now, Mondraker said:

Exactly...there's been no change in how we play. 

We are horrendous at the simple things. Simple passes are behind, short, too wide, too long. Our ability to make space and angles is zero, the movement in general is poor

Until Arfield came back in we had no midfielder who could run into the box beyond a striker.

It's got to the point if we don't have Arfield or Aribo we are going to do nothing. Absolutely need another couple in, Skov Olsen and maybe a young loan from EPL for centrally.

When Gio first came in it was evident and pleasantly Surprising how we had changed. It was badly needed also.  Tonight though that was a Gerrardesque performance in every way for me. The last few games we have struggled against the high press (Aberdeen, Hearts) and now the teams lying deep tonight.

12 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Sands is a pointless player, might well be a good player bit completely pointless having someone who'll just clean up 10 yards in front of your centre halves when teams dont press up, 

Only thing I'll say is that he's maybe been brought in as a davis replacement, 

We badly need to play 2 up front at home to these tyoe of teams, if that means our backline stays as a backline and barisic and tav stay back to allow us one more in the box and right up the park, so be it, 

Thank fuck you're not the manager Jimbo.

One player in the centre of the park protecting the defence doesn't mean we can't play attacking football. Sands wasn't the issue and reminds me a bit of Hemdani so far who was also underappreciated.

Tav staying back is mental. He has by far our most creative outlet for several seasons. Similar Barisic.

Some Dutch journo was on H&H when Gio was announced and he basically said not to expect an overly exciting style of play. 

Said Gio was very pragmatic and 1-0 wins were the norm as he lead Feyenoord to the title. 

Games like tonight and Dundee Utd at home might be something we need to get used to enduring

1 minute ago, LaaRFC said:

Some Dutch journo was on H&H when Gio was announced and he basically said not to expect an overly exciting style of play. 

Said Gio was very pragmatic and 1-0 wins were the norm as he lead Feyenoord to the title. 

Games like tonight and Dundee Utd at home might be something we need to get used to enduring

As long as we win the league I'm not overly bothered.