Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

1 hour ago, DiamondDan said:

2 years ago tonight Rangers went to Lisbon and drew with Benfica, should have beat them.

They've just topped a group with PSG and Juve in it. 

"We can't compete at this level"

FB_IMG_1667686892474.jpg

Screenshot_20221105_222216.jpg

They have spent about 85m on players since then. 

Apart from Balogun and Aribo, out of the 14 players who started the two games against them we still have the same players who are all older, more injured, and in the case of McGregor, Davis, Jack, Arfield and possibly Tav, clearly past it at this level.

2 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

This is bigger than Gio. Two years ago everything was set up to make this club a proper modern club that everyone had wished for. 

Gio will stop the treble just because his cup record here and at Feyenoord as great.

Overall though we are in deep shit. They will, if not next year, the year after, will overtake our claim as the most successful club. Something all of us subscribe to and something we take pride in. All of it has happened once we stepped back into the top league.

Everything we pride ourselves on is about to walk out the door and we'll sleep walk in to it. The CL is the first step, the cups the second and then the league. Gone, all if it.

Mate, I’ll be honest, I don’t think anybody outside of us gives a shit about the “most successful” thing.

You think Madrid fans care that Rangers have won more domestic trophies than them while they’ve racked up 14 (might be more) CL trophies?

Aye, it’s a great moniker to have but I don’t think it’s the be all and end all and it’s really us and our claim to it that gives it power.

If they overtook us it would be shit in an us v them thing but on a global scale nobody cares. A bit like them trying to pile it on about us in the CL this season, there’s not really much to boast about. Scottish football is crap and nobody cares about it outside of Scotland.

7 hours ago, Kylegib said:

I don't think Gio is getting any say in transfers, if you watch his interview after the PSV game he was clearly expecting new signings to come in which obviously didn't materialise. 

There’s a distinction looks like you’ve missed

He’ll have no say in the number of players we sign.

But should have in who we sign

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Apart from Balogun and Aribo, out of the 14 players who started the two games against them we still have the same players who are all older, more injured, and in the case of McGregor, Davis, Jack, Arfield and possibly Tav, clearly past it at this level.

People always conveniently miss the money these teams can spend compared to us.

Still find it outrageous that this clown was allowed to come in and put everything the previous manager done straight in the bin. 

It's gonna take probably another year or two to get ourselves back on the right track that's why I think it's best he goes ASAP. Ross Wilson should follow 

7 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Still find it outrageous that this clown was allowed to come in and put everything the previous manager done straight in the bin. 

It's gonna take probably another year or two to get ourselves back on the right track that's why I think it's best he goes ASAP. Ross Wilson should follow 

:lol: 

7 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

That's a failure to manage the squad though, that's a failing of Rangers.

Benfica have sold 180m worth of players since then. They have a player trading model that works.

Gio needs to go but the dissension shouldn’t stop when he does. The players and the sporting director need to be held accountable too and the board who allowed it to get to this stage need to be questioned too. Full accountability and a root and branch clear out is needed

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

Also we need a HUGE clear out in the summer. Would only keep a handful of them at a push.

We are absolutely fucked GVB and the board have put us back years. We have penny pinched in terms of recruitment, instead of selling assets and then refreshing regularly. Gives me the absolute boak.

Incredible fall from grace. You can just about hack a bad season if you’re building a new squad. Yet we’ve managed to increase the average age of the squad. A bloated squad of old, unfit, injury prone, talentless players. Likely with very little in the pot to turn things around. Depressing. 

Not only is this years league probably gone now. We are starting so far behind the 8 ball for next year as well.

Just now, BigBearButt said:

We are absolutely fucked GVB and the board have put us back years. We have penny pinched in terms of recruitment, instead of selling assets and then refreshing regularly. Gives me the absolute boak.

How much are we going to get for Kent, Morelos and Kamara in January, even in comparison to what we would have got in the Summer? 

Just now, BlueSuedeSambas said:

How much are we going to get for Kent, Morelos and Kamara in January, even in comparison to what we would have got in the Summer? 

exactly. Although Kamara still has a couple of years left as he signed a new deal - but performance wise and the fact he isnt getting played his value is pretty much half of what it was when he was tearing it up. 

Id rather sell kent though than let him run down his deal, Morelos I'd still try and keep under a new manager.