Who do you consider to have been a successful signing?

DiamondDan

What signings have been successful?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Who on this list of signings (all made since Ross Wilson came on board) do you consider to have been a success?

• Cedric Itten
    • Jon McLaughlin
    • Calvin Bassey
    • Amad Diallo
    • Ianis Hagi
    • Leon Balagoun
    • Kemar Roofe
    • Scott Wright
    • Jack Simpson
    • Fashion Sakala
    • Oboforh
    • John Lundstram
    • Tony Weston
    • Junior Bacuna
    • Zukowski
    • Aaron Ramsay
    • James Sands
    • None

Mclaughlin - Does what he needs to when called upon. Arguably should have been called on more this season - started that way at the start of the season, but the inconsistency was also costing us.

Bassey - Improved massively and good cover for an off form Barisic, not a centre back for me though.

Hagi - Inconsistent, but been a game changer coming on in some matches. Braga a couple of years ago.

Balogun - Surprised he's not had more votes, contributed plenty to 55 and helped at RB when Tav injured (had a couple of howlers tho).

Roofe - Feel the system that suits Alfie doesnt suit him so hasnt had many a good run at games (when not injured). Pass marks for contribution to 55, Motherwell at Ibrox being he highlight. That goal in Europe.

Lundstrum - Now settled and up there with best players of this half of the year, although not hard.

Sakala - Very raw but I think there's a player in there somewhere. We certainly look more dangerous down that wing with him.

The answers to this are a joke. Only 20% think Bassey has been successful? I know we’re hurting but fuck sake we have some right doom and gloomers here. 

The guy was signed for a minimal fee, has developed across two positions and shown plenty of scope for future improvement. He’s also now a sellable asset that will fetch us a sizeable return on the initial investment we made should we decide to cash in. 

9 minutes ago, SonicWill said:

The answers to this are a joke. Only 20% think Bassey has been successful? I know we’re hurting but fuck sake we have some right doom and gloomers here. 

The guy was signed for a minimal fee, has developed across two positions and shown plenty of scope for future improvement. He’s also now a sellable asset that will fetch us a sizeable return on the initial investment we made should we decide to cash in. 

Unreal mate,

Some right edjits on here who cannot see a player or a player that has huge potential, signed for development fee.

See next season when he has proper centre backs next to him too.

Hard to judge players like Weston, Zukowski and Sands as they are either signed for the future or just in the door. 

Ramsey is similar for me, I know a lot think it's a huge waste of money. I think if we got him pre season and up to speed he could have been a special signing for the season. Still time to deliver the goods in Europe. 

Sakala is 50/50 for me, as a freebie I think we'll make money on him but he's just so raw. Wouldn't be an issue if he was 16 but at 25 you aren't going to teach him how to close control when running. Can be very clumsy but equally can cause havoc for the opposition. 

Wanted Itten to work but just think we have to accept he's it's not his level. Kamberi mk II. 

Oboforh. Be surprised to even see him play. 

Wright is another one that I think there's something there but no manager seems to be able to fully get it out of him. Good back up for the home grown rule but probably worse than Barrie McKay. 

Bacuna and Simpson - utter shambles for signings. 

Diallo. Just don't think he was ever going to suit the game in Scotland and can't be showing much else as he never gets a chance now. Not squaring it against DU was idiotic. 

Rest I think you could argue have been successful to a degree but none really stand out. Bassey and Hagi are probably the only players that seem to actually be on the right path of buying them young, having an impact in the first team and (hopefully) selling on for a profit. 

13 hours ago, Valance1690 said:

Need to look at it based on how much we spent, it's the reason why Kent is criticised so much

From that list, Hagi & Roofe stand out, best part of 10 million there, we need players like that to step up & dominate up here & they simply don't do it anywhere near enough.

Hagi especially, for how much he seems to be a fan favourite, his numbers are horrific.

Why do you keep exaggerating to a ridiculous degree in order to make a point? Those 2 cost nowhere near that.

2 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

Why do you keep exaggerating to a ridiculous degree in order to make a point? Those 2 cost nowhere near that.

Roofe was an initial 4.5 million with various add-ons, his whole deal with quoted to be upwards of 10 million btw including wages etc

Hagi was initial 3 million with add-ons

It's at least 7.5 million in initial fees, not including add-ons/...would say it's being very realistic to assume they cost us at least that.

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

Roofe was an initial 4.5 million with various add-ons, his whole deal with quoted to be upwards of 10 million btw including wages etc

It's at least 7.5 million in initial fees, not including add-ons/...would say it's being very realistic to assume they cost us at least that.

:lol: 

25 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Both were around the £3m mark. Don't even think we have finished paying off either transfer fees yet. Hagi was £1m a season for 3 seasons with no add ons.

53 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

St Johnstone winning more trophies than us over 4 years is fucking horrific.

No doubt about it, mate.

I’m pretty sure that dissipating our energies across 4 fronts has had a major impact.

Before anybody gets going, I know the money generated from Europe has been essential, but we’re in danger of becoming Arsenal, when the joke was them having an open top bus parade for Champions League qualification!

(And how they’d love to hear folk telling that joke again…)

Just a point regarding some of the more recent signings that have been used by Gio, especially on Sunday.

Lundstram, Ramsey & Sakala. Lundstram clearly fucking cares and does a good job on the park, Ramsey was the most composed player we had on the park and the only one willing to make runs (first goal being the example) & then Sakala who, say what you want regarding his decision making, came on made a bit of a difference and created our best chance of the second half.

I think a lot of this is becoming clearer and clearer that it's a lot of the mainstays who turn it on when they want.

1 hour ago, SIRB_72 said:

Just a point regarding some of the more recent signings that have been used by Gio, especially on Sunday.

Lundstram, Ramsey & Sakala. Lundstram clearly fucking cares and does a good job on the park, Ramsey was the most composed player we had on the park and the only one willing to make runs (first goal being the example) & then Sakala who, say what you want regarding his decision making, came on made a bit of a difference and created our best chance of the second half.

I think a lot of this is becoming clearer and clearer that it's a lot of the mainstays who turn it on when they want.

Sakala is awful, effort is the least we should expect from any player be it first team or youth team. He needs punted ASAP

3 hours ago, The Godfather said:

Sakala is awful, effort is the least we should expect from any player be it first team or youth team. He needs punted ASAP

Yeah I'm struggling to find where he was going to fit in with us when he signed in the summer. He's not a striker, he isn't too great off the right. I suppose his best game was off the left against Motherwell but that was one game.

My overall point was more that the core we've had for a few years turn up when they like and now it's the newer players who are actually showing some hunger - quality is a very different matter in Sakala's case.

14 hours ago, Valance1690 said:

Why do you wake up every day and decide to talk hunners of stinking pish?

17 hours ago, The Godfather said:

He’ll always be here to chip in 10-15 a season but still unconvinced for the long term.

Still think on paper he’s a decent signing to have given his record in a better league last season. Just glad we didn’t pay a fee for him.