Why the fuck did Ramsey not start?

12 hours ago, BigDak said:

This is a fair point. I hadn’t thought about it in that context re: not trusting to come on but trusting to take a pen

Can't trust him to play for the shirt imo.

The penalty aside, they guy is out for himself. He is here to get himself fit and find a new club who will pay him a fortune in wages.

Any clubs out there wanting an unfit, selfish arrogant player who is made of glass interested yet? 

51 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

Said it in feb, saying it now. Ego signing.

I feel for wee sakala more than anything, brought on about 70 mins and took off last 5 mins of extra time to appease the ego signing.

Wee sakala was embarassed. If your main striker cannot be trusted to take a penalty before chocolate legs ramsay then i give up.

Outwith that, the heat beat us more than anything. The handbrakes were not released because of the heat.

Felt sorry for Sakala but he is an utterly dreadful footballer. I don’t think he got taken off just to let Ramsey take a penalty.

5 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

Felt sorry for Sakala but he is an utterly dreadful footballer. I don’t think he got taken off just to let Ramsey take a penalty.

I have to think he wasn't trusted or didn't want to take a penalty, still feel sorry for him for the effort he brings every time.

He is also an utterly dreadful footballer.

I think post penalty miss it’s easy to slate him.  IMO he should have started yesterday or worst case scenario been on at 1-1.  Him and Roofe made an immediate impact in under 5 mins.  Roofe nearly setup a winner and Ramsey won us that late free kick.  I felt the Sands substitute was a horrible horrible decision at the time and I stand by that.  Gio has earned the right to make a few mistakes but that was a huge one IMO.

If Ramsey had started yesterday then he could have made the difference.  Even the best players in the world can miss a pen but I don’t see the logic in Arfield playing up top alone and bringing sands on for Aribo.  Sakala should have went through the middle with Ramsey playing off him. 

2 hours ago, Helicopter Sundae said:

What fucks me is that Ramsey would have sat there the entire 117 minutes, like us, just simmering, and as the tension ratcheted up, must have felt it. The fault comes in Gio leaving him  there to stew, when he could have allowed him 10-12 minutes of the final ET to get himself into the game.

What must absolutely kill the team is that the player with the biggest reputation did nearly fuck all to get them to that hallowed final, yet with 3 minutes on his clock card managed to destroy the monumental effort of the entire rest of the squad who did  get us there.

Gutting.

Did we not have our 5 takers sorted before the match?

Was Ramsey one and this was the plan to take Sakala off ?

or could GVB not plan that we might be going to penalties and cobbled something together last minute ffs

1 hour ago, G.E.C. said:

So explain why with two minutes on the clock the game at 1-1 Sakala is subbed for Ramsey who goes on to then take a penalty?

what other reason is there?

2 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

If Ramsey was fully fit, playing regularly and playing to a level he has shown in the past we would not have had a chance of signing him. He only became an option due to his situation at Juventus. We've took a calculated risk thinking if we get him up to speed, his quality would enhance the squad. Most of us were pleased at the time. It was always a risk and sadly it's just not worked out. When he's actually played though he has shown moments of quality and generally been okay although we were all hoping and expecting so much more.

In relation to the game, Kamara starts mainly due to his excellent performance in the Leipzig game. Wright has also been bright recently and I thought he played pretty well last night. Ramsey obviously had to come off in the semi final at Hampden so I just don't think Gio was ever going to take a risk on him unless we were desperate or unless there wasn't long to go. Ultimately that's what seemed to happen. I think Gio and most of us would trust Ramsey to score a penalty but we would be less confident his body holds up and that's possibly where Gio was at.

On the subs, it's all about opinions. However, I don't actually think the subs were that bad. I would question a few but nothing major. I thought Davis was good when he came on. Someone with an actual brain who doesn't just punt the ball every time or panic under pressure. Sakala was a reasonable sub to make. Incredibly frustrating player, tears your hair out. Doesn't always make the correct runs, decisions or hold the ball up but his pace and directness is always a threat. He also carries a goal threat. I'd maybe have rolled the dice with Ramsey, Diallo or Lowry but Gio went with Arfield who was fine when he came on, and no doubt the semi final goal at Hampden would have been in Gio's mind too. Sands has come on to allow Lundstram to push forward and the change in shape worked. We looked fitter, stronger and the most likely to win it in extra time. Roofe and Ramsey then came on mainly with penalties in mind. In those few minutes they caused problems which naturally makes us think of all the ifs buts and maybes.

The result and outcome is just utterly shite. 'Working' from home today and done absolutely fuck all. Cannot be arsed.

This post us far too sensible for RM today, but I think you have covered all the important points. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, MorelosRangers said:

Because he isnt fully fit, cant run and would have been worse in 40 degree heat.

Lowry would have been ahead in the queue

Ramsey got on to take a pen because of his previous reputation. He is bang average now.

That’s an interesting point. Lowry, who takes pens for youth team, overlooked for Ramsey.

2 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

If Ramsey was fully fit, playing regularly and playing to a level he has shown in the past we would not have had a chance of signing him. He only became an option due to his situation at Juventus. We've took a calculated risk thinking if we get him up to speed, his quality would enhance the squad. Most of us were pleased at the time. It was always a risk and sadly it's just not worked out. When he's actually played though he has shown moments of quality and generally been okay although we were all hoping and expecting so much more.

In relation to the game, Kamara starts mainly due to his excellent performance in the Leipzig game. Wright has also been bright recently and I thought he played pretty well last night. Ramsey obviously had to come off in the semi final at Hampden so I just don't think Gio was ever going to take a risk on him unless we were desperate or unless there wasn't long to go. Ultimately that's what seemed to happen. I think Gio and most of us would trust Ramsey to score a penalty but we would be less confident his body holds up and that's possibly where Gio was at.

On the subs, it's all about opinions. However, I don't actually think the subs were that bad. I would question a few but nothing major. I thought Davis was good when he came on. Someone with an actual brain who doesn't just punt the ball every time or panic under pressure. Sakala was a reasonable sub to make. Incredibly frustrating player, tears your hair out. Doesn't always make the correct runs, decisions or hold the ball up but his pace and directness is always a threat. He also carries a goal threat. I'd maybe have rolled the dice with Ramsey, Diallo or Lowry but Gio went with Arfield who was fine when he came on, and no doubt the semi final goal at Hampden would have been in Gio's mind too. Sands has come on to allow Lundstram to push forward and the change in shape worked. We looked fitter, stronger and the most likely to win it in extra time. Roofe and Ramsey then came on mainly with penalties in mind. In those few minutes they caused problems which naturally makes us think of all the ifs buts and maybes.

The result and outcome is just utterly shite. 'Working' from home today and done absolutely fuck all. Cannot be arsed.

Wright was diabolical and was the same against Leipzig in both games if we’re honest.

He’s looked like a wee boy in a mans game.

I said it a few weeks ago but Barrie Mckay, Martin Boyle etc are better than him.

30 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Did we not have our 5 takers sorted before the match?

Was Ramsey one and this was the plan to take Sakala off ?

or could GVB not plan that we might be going to penalties and cobbled something together last minute ffs

I’d think with the 5 sub rule, it makes it pretty hard to settle on the lineup for penalties.

I’m sure there must be some idea, but those 5 names could be changing all the time.

14 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

No idea why you would spend £2m for a 4 month loan on an injury prone player.

A £125k per week gamble. Mental.

It’s such a huge amount of money, I assumed he can’t be that injured, just needs to get match fit. Which incidentally brings us to the medical team. They obviously signed off on the deal. 

Someone/some folk needs their baws toed.

Meanwhile, around the same time, Brentford sign a player who 6 months before hand was dead for two minutes and he’s in top form.

4 minutes ago, HG5 said:

I’d think with the 5 sub rule, it makes it pretty hard to settle on the lineup for penalties.

I’m sure there must be some idea, but those 5 names could be changing all the time.

I’ve not seen many posts on here questioning why first team mainstays who remained on the pitch such as  Kent, Goldson and Lundstram didn’t take a penalty.

Each one of them should be more than capable of putting a way a penallty.

3 minutes ago, beararse said:

I’ve not seen many posts on here questioning why first team mainstays who remained on the pitch such as  Kent, Goldson and Lundstram didn’t take a penalty.

It's always difficult to know who was asked and who refused ... perhaps it will come out in the days to come? I always always think if someone really doesn't fancy it it takes a brave manager to tell him he's taking one 

7 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

It's always difficult to know who was asked and who refused ... perhaps it will come out in the days to come? I always always think if someone really doesn't fancy it it takes a brave manager to tell him he's taking one 

If you are a first pick for Rangers in pretty much every game you  should want to take a penalty.

I know there are a lot of subs these days but 4 of our 5 penalties were taken by substitutes! That’s quite a statistic.

15 minutes ago, beararse said:

You’d have thought so.👍

11 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Refuse to blame him for the penalty. Penalties are a lottery and our number wasn't up. Someone had to be the bad guy. 

I’ve never understood why players that miss in shootouts get so much abuse.

What the England players suffered after the Euros was shameful.

5 minutes ago, beararse said:

If you are a first pick for Rangers in pretty much every game you  should want to take a penalty.

I know there are a lot of subs these days but 4 of our 5 penalties were taken by substitutes! That’s quite a statistic.

Do you not feel if it just doesn't feel right you aren't doing anyone any favours to be pushed into it?