Ross Wilson should be next to leave.

JCDBigBear

14 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Hopefully gets a lot of heat at the AGM enough to get him to resign. 

If you saw his lying smug greasy dwarf face at the Beale presser then you would know he's not going to resign, and the board aren't going to sack him because of what they will regard as a couple of nutters at the AGM.

You would need either a resolution to remove him or a mass demonstration against him, neither of which are likely to happen.

11 hours ago, esquire8 said:

Ross Wilson has launched a vociferous defence of his Rangers record and insisted he has delivered on the mandate he was given by the Ibrox board.

And the sporting director dismissed criticism of the contract situation that new boss Michael Beale has inherited as 'nonsense' and claimed Rangers are 'comfortable' with their position when it comes to the long-term futures of a handful of influential players.

Wilson has faced significant questions from disgruntled supporters in recent months following a dreadful run at home and abroad that culminated in the sacking of boss Giovanni van Bronckhorst last week.

Former Ibrox coach Beale was appointed as the Dutchman's successor on Monday and Wilson was present on Thursday evening as the former QPR boss conducted his first press conference.

Wilson issued a 'let's see' response when quizzed about the positions of Ryan Kent and Alfredo Morelos as they prepare to enter the final months of their deals and potentially get set to walk away from the club for free next summer.

And he defended his record when asked whether it was unfair for outside observers to say that Rangers' recruitment has not been up to scratch on his watch following his move from Southampton in October 2019.

Wilson said: “Again, people can always make their judgements at any time. Whether it’s the scouting team, the managers, the sporting director, the chief executive, people always have an opinion on something.

“We are very proud of a lot of the work we have done here and with humility you look at some other work you have been part of and you will say ‘I wish I hadn’t done that’ or ‘I wish I had done that a bit better’.

“Certainly from my perspective I know the mandate I was given on the day I walked in the door here and I am absolutely sure I have delivered on my part of the mandate so far.

“But that doesn’t mean that there aren’t things I wouldn’t look back on and say ‘I could have done that bit better, I could have done that bit better’.

"I am certainly proud of a lot of the work and there is still loads of work to do here and a load of work to do in the coming windows for sure.”

As I've said before, the issue is not just Wilson. Robertson and Park Jr are probably the biggest issue we have at the club yet barely get mentioned as an issue.

6AC728C5-5968-4B4A-B31F-54D6432597A9.jpeg

2 hours ago, The Specky Liar said:

Scum

'Ross Wilson has blasted back at claims he’s bungled Rangers ’ contract situation and flopped in the transfer market - telling snipers they’re talking nonsense.

Wilson fired back: “I don’t buy it. I don’t buy into that at all. Nonsense. There are two key assets here who have been talked about for a long time in Kent and Morelos.

“There is another group of older players who I’m sure everybody understands good contract management is to have those lads on one-year contracts and review them year on year. And there are a couple of boys who have been injured quite a lot so again it is sensible to keep reviewing before the end of the season as well.

“So I don’t buy into that. I don’t think the criticism has been unfair because I think everyone is entitled to their opinion on that, of course they are

“But I think we are comfortable with the direction of travel with our contracts. It played out last year with Connor as well so we’ll see where we go with that.”

I thought the first section quoted by Esquire was bad but fuck me this is horrendous, what a double down.

Why is McGregor, Arfield and Davis good contract management when it’s blocking McCrorie, Lowry and McCann getting an opportunity and if people are saying they aren’t good enough then that’s also on Wilson as he’s responsible for that level being good enough.

He thinks re-signing Kent and Morelos is going to be seen as some master stroke when all it will do is tie us to salaries outwith their production because they are better than our shite recruitment!

Get him to fuck ASAP.

“But I think we are comfortable with the direction of travel with our contracts. It played out last year with Connor as well so we’ll see where we go with that.”

What a moron. Fine we got lucky with Goldson. We probably had to pay him more than if we had sorted it sooner.

What kind of template is that going forward? Oh yeh we’ll just let everyone’s contracts run to 0 because this one time a player re-signed. 

Morelos and Kent should have been sold as soon as they didn’t re-sign. If that means taking a few million less than what we could have at peak. So be it. That’s the reality

18 hours ago, GersInCanada said:

No dissension from me either. He has to go.

The board will think that he doing a good job as they just look at the bottom line. The sales of Nathan, Aribo, and Bassey will have gone a long way to convince the board that the player model is working.

Couldn't you argue that the model IS working, taking the 3 players that you mention into consideration? Combined transfer fees of between £30m and £35m (depending on actual transfer fees) in one season alone is miles above anything that we have done in decades. The fact that the Wilson has identified dodgy replacements in the shape of Matondo does highlight his weaknesses though....and Yilmaz being signed and not played is another weird bit of business. However, you can't overlook those 3 transfers you mentioned. 

Or were those simply as good as it gets with him?

22 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

Couldn't you argue that the model IS working, taking the 3 players that you mention into consideration? Combined transfer fees of between £30m and £35m (depending on actual transfer fees) in one season alone is miles above anything that we have done in decades. The fact that the Wilson has identified dodgy replacements in the shape of Matondo does highlight his weaknesses though....and Yilmaz being signed and not played is another weird bit of business. However, you can't overlook those 3 transfers you mentioned. 

“The model” only works when there’s players at each stage of development all through the squad. Selling a Bassey or Aribo should only be seen as a success if there’s a replacement already in the squad, ready to make the step up. 

1 hour ago, LegendofCoop said:

Patterson and Aribo were at Rangers before Wilson.  I saw a post where it was stated that Bassey was also in the pipeline before Wilson arrived.  We have a large number of players out of contract at the end of this season two of them with a market value who can sign pre-contracts for other clubs at the end of this month.  In my opinion we should have sold 2 or 3 players at the end of 20-21.  Kent, Kamara, Hagi then signed 2 mids and a winger with half the cash.  Wilson's signings have mostly been awful and the last 3 transfer windows have been shocking.   We have no really valuable asset players left.  We have a list of players who are simply not good enough but on long contracts on wages no clubs will match.   Wilson is a failure.

5 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Patterson and Aribo were at Rangers before Wilson.  I saw a post where it was stated that Bassey was also in the pipeline before Wilson arrived.  We have a large number of players out of contract at the end of this season two of them with a market value who can sign pre-contracts for other clubs at the end of this month.  In my opinion we should have sold 2 or 3 players at the end of 20-21.  Kent, Kamara, Hagi then signed 2 mids and a winger with half the cash.  Wilson's signings have mostly been awful and the last 3 transfer windows have been shocking.   We have no really valuable asset players left.  We have a list of players who are simply not good enough but on long contracts on wages no clubs will match.   Wilson is a failure.

Technically, they can already sign them. Six months before contract expiry and deals in Scotland typically end on May 31 or after the final competitive game of the season (whichever is latest).