Tav slow down play

Ted E Bayer

1 minute ago, Ted E Bayer said:

Does Tav taking every throw-in, free-kick and corner slow down the tempo and effectiveness of the team going forward?

I've often thought we give teams to reset, regain their shape, get players back in position as we await Tav to arrive to take a throw in that the nearest player can take.  They are all professional footballers, after all.

he doesn’t take every shy or corner 

A fair few folk have commented on this now. I think it slows us right down and does break momentum. Last night had another perfect example. Borna was ready to launch a quick throw into the box. Tav was 15 yards away and told him to leave it.....trotted over, took the throw and it went nowhere. 

Just needs to read the game better and see if he's actually holding us up 

Mentioned this before, 

He is 31 now all action wingback/attacking full backs start to decline rather rapid post 30. 

He is still being asked to cover a lot of ground and provide a lot of Attacking threat game after game. 

Capitan and takes near all free kicks and penalties. It's a lot of added pressure 

Be good to see if Devine can push both Borna and Tav for a place. 

There is no getting away from him being a tremendous servant to the club and pivitol in the successes over the past 10 years. 

The slow down with Age comes to us all.

12 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

The worst is McGregor. I know we were 3 up and no need to chase but he messes about at goal kicks and slows us right down.

It’s all about momentum and the way the team play doesn’t matter if it’s the beginning or the end. 

Does my nut in this.

8 minutes ago, GOAT said:

“The worst is mcgregor”

have you seen him every time he gets the ball in his hands?  He’s running to edge of the box faster than everyone to try and start a counter.

I’m talking about when we’re a couple of goals up he slows it down. You want to keep the tempo of play going. He stops it.

1 minute ago, ElBufalo20 said:

I’m talking about when we’re a couple of goals up he slows it down. You want to keep the tempo of play going. He stops it.

Probably quite harsh putting that on him. For the longest time we have taken our foot off the gas after going a couple of goals up. It’s annoying but it isn’t his fault 

4 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Probably quite harsh putting that on him. For the longest time we have taken our foot off the gas after going a couple of goals up. It’s annoying but it isn’t his fault 

It is if he’s kicking goalposts and wandering around his box. Yeah I know it’s not major but very frustrating.

I see the ball boys are now situated pitch side of the advertising boards so obviously Beale wants a quicker style throughout the team so that should include the goalie at all times too

17 minutes ago, GOAT said:

“The worst is mcgregor”

have you seen him every time he gets the ball in his hands?  He’s running to edge of the box faster than everyone to try and start a counter.

How often does he actually distribute the ball when he does that? He’s always absolutely loved ignoring an easy throw out in favour of a hoof even when he was at his peak 

Also spends plenty of time moaning at defenders while the balls in his hands rather than looking for a pass 

Generally speaking the closest player to the ball should take the throw in. Waiting for certain player to take one slows the whole thing down - possible exception for a losing throw in to the box.

We lost one of our goals against them earlier this season when they took a quick throw in.

37 minutes ago, GOAT said:

“The worst is mcgregor”

He’s done that for years it’s his go to move, he runs to the edge of the box then moans at everyone else regardless if there’s a pass available.

He rarely ever actually tries to throw or kick it out fast and probably because he’s never had the best distribution.

1 hour ago, GersInCanada said:

Tav is our captain but as this season progresses it becomes clear that he needs a break. I would give Devine a few weeks in that position and allow Tav to rest.

I didn’t mean this as a criticism of Tav’s current form as that’s another topic altogether, but more a criticism of his or the coach’s tactics. We’ve seen how often teams can score from a quick throw-in, freekick or corner and we rarely benefit from quick thinking.

And we absolutely do not benefit from Tav feeling the need to (or being asked to) take throws where he’s nowhere near the action,  which then allows defenders etc to get back in position. 

It’s quite frustrating to watch and has gone on for years.