Norwich fan on Cantwell...

AberfeldyBlue

from the Athletic:

Norwich fan here to try to answer that (is Cantwell a good signing). He was exclusively a 10 coming through the academy, but your correct that the vast majority of his career has been operating from the left. Not really a winger, more an inside playmaker type, often drifting narrow or roaming deep to get on the ball.

As for his skill set, he’s a very decent at progressing the ball from deep, sometimes with a pass, but also with a dribble, dropping a shoulder or getting on the half turn and getting his body in the way of tacklers to win fouls. However the reason he’s so well known to people outside of Norwich isn’t for any of that. His reputation is mainly based on that 19/20 season in the Prem, where he had an unbelievable knack of arriving in the box at the perfect time, coupled with very composed finishing to land him 6 prem goals. Often against top 6 clubs. *

Now the reason it hasn’t worked out is that whole paragraph has a giant asterisk at the end. And that asterisk is *when he’s mentally up for it. The reality is for the last 18 months he has not shown anything close to those levels. Speculation is wether that’s an internal or external thing, but the fact now 4 managers didn’t feel they could unlock that, shows the issues run deeper than just giving him a run of 3 games to shake the cobwebs away.

My main other concern if I was a Rangers fan would be, let’s say that you do finally unlock the best from him. He starts getting goals, assists, running games from deep, back to his best. His profile, (and frankly his agent) will mean it won’t be long before he gets linked with a move to a lower prem team (Leeds, Palace, Forest). Todd has a record of mysteriously picking up knocks, or reasons not to play, if the window is open and he’s linked with a move. Happened August 21, august 22, and when we came back from the World Cup break, he claimed he didn’t want selected, “to work on his fitness”.

I’ll be genuinely curious which way his career goes. Rangers feels like it will the crossroads for him. In 2 years he’ll either be pushing for a prem move, or in Turkey with Delli alli.
:pipe:

"record of mysteriously picking up knocks, or reasons not to play, if the window is open and he’s linked with a move." 

Don't like the sound of that. We have quite a few of that ilk in the squad already imo.

Sounds like his head is easily turned. We need players that are prepared to run through a brick wall for us. 

3 minutes ago, Hamie said:

"record of mysteriously picking up knocks, or reasons not to play, if the window is open and he’s linked with a move." 

Don't like the sound of that. We have quite a few of that ilk in the squad already imo.

Sounds like his head is easily turned. We need players that are prepared to run through a brick wall for us. 

Who?

5 hours ago, AberfeldyBlue said:

from the Athletic:

Norwich fan here to try to answer that (is Cantwell a good signing). He was exclusively a 10 coming through the academy, but your correct that the vast majority of his career has been operating from the left. Not really a winger, more an inside playmaker type, often drifting narrow or roaming deep to get on the ball.

As for his skill set, he’s a very decent at progressing the ball from deep, sometimes with a pass, but also with a dribble, dropping a shoulder or getting on the half turn and getting his body in the way of tacklers to win fouls. However the reason he’s so well known to people outside of Norwich isn’t for any of that. His reputation is mainly based on that 19/20 season in the Prem, where he had an unbelievable knack of arriving in the box at the perfect time, coupled with very composed finishing to land him 6 prem goals. Often against top 6 clubs. *

Now the reason it hasn’t worked out is that whole paragraph has a giant asterisk at the end. And that asterisk is *when he’s mentally up for it. The reality is for the last 18 months he has not shown anything close to those levels. Speculation is wether that’s an internal or external thing, but the fact now 4 managers didn’t feel they could unlock that, shows the issues run deeper than just giving him a run of 3 games to shake the cobwebs away.

My main other concern if I was a Rangers fan would be, let’s say that you do finally unlock the best from him. He starts getting goals, assists, running games from deep, back to his best. His profile, (and frankly his agent) will mean it won’t be long before he gets linked with a move to a lower prem team (Leeds, Palace, Forest). Todd has a record of mysteriously picking up knocks, or reasons not to play, if the window is open and he’s linked with a move. Happened August 21, august 22, and when we came back from the World Cup break, he claimed he didn’t want selected, “to work on his fitness”.

I’ll be genuinely curious which way his career goes. Rangers feels like it will the crossroads for him. In 2 years he’ll either be pushing for a prem move, or in Turkey with Delli alli.
:pipe:

Cover until Lawrence is fit again

I'm in two different minds on Cantwell. We have been crying out for a creative midfielder player for ten years and he certainly has an abundance of flair. But on the other hand, he seems a bit flaky to me. You seldom get away with that in Scottish football. Here's hoping his talents trump.

Not to keen on him if he needs time to be fit etc, you want players who will play when asked or told, pissed off with the ( im not in a good place and I’m not feeling 100 percent mob, should be busting a gut to play football, these bastards think they are special and are paid too much,

“Todd isn't really suited to either an out and out wide forward role (lack of pace) or as one of a midfield three (lack of strength) in a 4-3-3. He is most effective as a between the lines player”

We’re well covered for that role already. Tillman, Hagi, Lowry, Lawrence, Arfield to an extent.

So wages might be better spent elsewhere (sure he’ll be one of the highest earners).

Wouldn’t be against it as it sounds like there’s a decent player in there if Beale can somehow sort him out.

But a bit depressing that everyone we’re being linked with is from the same markets Wilson’s had his fingers over since his arrival.

20 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

“Todd isn't really suited to either an out and out wide forward role (lack of pace) or as one of a midfield three (lack of strength) in a 4-3-3. He is most effective as a between the lines player”

We’re well covered for that role already. Tillman, Hagi, Lowry, Lawrence, Arfield to an extent.

So wages might be better spent elsewhere (sure he’ll be one of the highest earners).

Wouldn’t be against it as it sounds like there’s a decent player in there if Beale can somehow sort him out.

But a bit depressing that everyone we’re being linked with is from the same markets Wilson’s had his fingers over since his arrival.

Arfield and Tillman may be gone by the end of the season, Hagi coming back from a long layoff so we’ve no idea how he’s gna be and Lowry hasn’t yet been able to establish himself in the first team. 

I think for free it’s smart business. 

Edit: I realise it might not be free if we try and get him in Jan, but even then I’d imagine it would hopefully be a relatively low fee or even a loan if we’ve agreed a pre-contract. 

19 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

That was the first thing I thought as well, it’s a type of player that we have quality in already! You could also argue that Kent has been doing that role under Beale as well, coming inside a lot more.

Just think it’s a bit mad to go out and spend there when we are still short of a decent RW & GK. I suppose we don’t know what else is coming in. 

8 hours ago, scottyc06 said:

Mind when some random Feyenoord supporters opinion meant fuck all as well 👀

Well buddy if you’re happy to base yer opinion on the boy from what a random Norwich fan says batter in I’ll wait and see what he offers before judging 

7 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Well buddy if you’re happy to base yer opinion on the boy from what a random Norwich fan says batter in I’ll wait and see what he offers before judging 

that’s the way i am now mate, watch and see how any player we sign plays for us, too many times i’ve been delighted only for people to be shite or vice versa