The constant media pressure on VAR and referees

GOAT

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

There was some kind of clarification about a year before about incidents like that where if you plant your foot across someone that's swinging to kick it like Morelos did you'll be considered to have obstructed the kicking player.

Fair enough but that's a honking rule then.

1 minute ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Not sure tbh. I can see the logic behind it. Essentially all you're doing is initiating contact with the player who isn't going to be able to stop his swing.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

Not sure tbh. I can see the logic behind it. Essentially all you're doing is initiating contact with the player who isn't going to be able to stop his swing.

I'd need to watch it back, but from memory of that particular incident Morelos is allowing the ball to come through his body so he can receive it and their player swipes at it and him from behind.

Would probably need to see a few different instances of the rule in practice to make a judgment but if you're the player who has got there first to protect the ball I think it's harsh to be the one penalised.

5 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I'd need to watch it back, but from memory of that particular incident Morelos is allowing the ball to come through his body so he can receive it and their player swipes at it and him from behind.

Would probably need to see a few different instances of the rule in practice to make a judgment but if you're the player who has got there first to protect the ball I think it's harsh to be the one penalised.

The Dortmund guy had posession, was kicking to pass it back to his goalie, and Morelos darted in and planted his foot between the ball and the swinging leg. Didn't get there first as such, the Dortmund player has possession and Morelos just kind of places his foot in the way mid swing so that literally the only thing that can happen is the Dortmund player kicks the back of his leg.

48 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Tbh I've got no problem with the rule. If you haven't gained possession of the ball you are impeding the player from playing the ball. It's one of the few rule changes I've supported in the last few years.

4 hours ago, GOAT said:

Rangers need to address this shite before it costs us something by VAR or referees shiteing themselves from giving us big decision incase it causes controversy. 

yesterday was a stone wall penalty, hand bigger than the body, it it’s hit it. Penalty.  End of.

yesterday was a stone wall red card, he goes in high studs showing and catches him could have been nasty.  End of.

The Ryan Jack tackle, i honestly wouldn’t have too much complaints if he was sent off for that, but at the same time I know why he wasn’t.  It was low and not high like the the St Johnstone player.

every story since is full off it being a day of controversy.  It wasn’t, it was a day of correct decisions, but no surprises considering our media is full of Rangers haters and tarriers.  

We’ve had plenty of decisions go in our favour since the introduction of VAR 

I don't think you can use yesterdays game as an example for this, I think most would agree VAR was favourable towards us. Whether you believe the fouls were reds or not, I think the majority would agree they were as bad as each other and should have been given the same punishment.

There's media scrutiny in every country on VAR. Just look at the Utd vs City game the other week.

On the whole VAR has benefited us since it came in and we've had very few calls go against us. It was never going to fix everything but on the whole it's been an improvement. I don't think the views of a couple pundits is worth getting worked up about.

10 minutes ago, GOAT said:

You mean correct decisions.  Hence why VAR was brought in.  You sure you’re on the right forum pal?

But doesn't that go against your point that pressure on VAR will mean decisions going against us? There hasn't been any evidence of that, you're complaining about something that hasn't happened.

7 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

But doesn't that go against your point that pressure on VAR will mean decision going against us? There hasn't been any evidence of that, you're complaining about something that hasn't happened.

Because it’s going to happen.  But your right wait until it happens before the uproar.  

the point of this is the pressure already being put on var and referees, not that the decision is going to happen eventually. 

5 hours ago, GOAT said:

I actually read Michael Stewart in his usual rangers hating BBC position telling everyone that it wasn’t a penalty, it wasn’t a red card and Ryan jacks was. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

guys a fucking clown. 

Absolutely! Watched Sportscene highlights last night and felt like a true clairvoyant when that biased clown was asked about the decisions. Loved his explanation that if you put your left foot forward your arm automatically goes to head height.

9 minutes ago, docspiderman said:

Absolutely! Watched Sportscene highlights last night and felt like a true clairvoyant when that biased clown was asked about the decisions. Loved his explanation that if you put your left foot forward your arm automatically goes to head height.

He's a troll and an idiot but sometimes will be right, purely by laws of average - never a penalty and be disgusted if that goes against us.  Red card was borderline and again would not be happy if we got a man sent off for that.  Jack's tackle never a penalty in a million years, debateable if even a bookng - he stretched for the ball looking at it, with full control, not his fault the boy ran on his blindside and got in the way.

28 minutes ago, GOAT said:

It wasn’t a penalty though. 

I’ve not seen it but we know the truth won’t matter as it will mask the two wrong VAR decisions given to them over the last couple of weeks.

It is true, they want all the decisions and not just the right ones.

I’m 100% behind VAR and understand even with VAR humans will still make mistake at the time of the decision. Explanations should be given days later on VAR and other major talking points. If mistakes are being made then the refs need penalised.

On 29/01/2023 at 09:26, GOAT said:

I actually read Michael Stewart in his usual rangers hating BBC position telling everyone that it wasn’t a penalty, it wasn’t a red card and Ryan jacks was. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

guys a fucking clown. 

He is one of the most bitter men in Scottish football. 

19 hours ago, docspiderman said:

He’s a professor of biomechanics mate.