Europe 23/24

1 minute ago, Loyal72 said:

Ideally you'd think:

UCL group: 1 & 2 goes through, 3rd goes into UEL and 4th drops into UECL.

Nothing is ideal with UEFA though. Something making sense is mental.

Nah I kinda like it to be honest.

I think finishing 4th should see you dropping out.

I'm also not a huge fan of the conference just getting dominated by CL teams that got a hard group for instance.

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Not anything meaningful.

Basically a win in the Uefa conference against some team from Lithuania is worth as much as scudding Man City in the CL in terms of qualifying for the CWC.

Do hope we can qualify for it, trying not to get too excited 

Hopefully we get off to a good start in UCL qualifying to get some points on the board early 

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I'm also not a huge fan of the conference just getting dominated by CL teams that got a hard group for instance.

To be fair when you think of it in that sense, it works. 

Think I was looking at it selfishly from our woeful performance last season.

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

100% if you’re finishing 4th you don’t deserve a second chance at scudding some lesser teams 

Last season for example there’s no way we deserved to be playing any European football after our showing in the groups 

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Not sure you get any points from qualifying rounds. Think it's just points in the groups onwards.

All games matter including qualifiers for coefficient rankings as far as I’m aware 

Sure our 4 qualifier seasons against teams like St Joseph’s was a big reason for the amount of coefficient points we were racking up 

Same reason teams that never make Europe have some coefficient points 

1 minute ago, GA1972 said:

All games matter including qualifiers for coefficient rankings as far as I’m aware 

Sure our 4 qualifier seasons against teams like St Joseph’s was a big reason for the amount of coefficient points we were racking up 

Fuck knows, you might be right.

Thought qualifier went to the nations coefficient or something, but club coefficients only came from actual group games and beyond. Might have just totally made that up though.

5 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Fuck knows, you might be right.

Thought qualifier went to the nations coefficient or something, but club coefficients only came from actual group games and beyond. Might have just totally made that up though.

I’m sure they all count, mainly so that they can create seedings for the early rounds that contain teams that never qualify. And like you said before they somehow count for the same amount of points as a win against a good team in the competition proper 

If there was no points for the qualifiers they wouldn’t be able to create seedings for teams like Linfield or champions from your places like Andorra, Gibraltar etc 

Editing this as it was boggling my brain so I checked. Your qualifiers only count if you’re dumped out in the qualifier. The playoff might count because they seem to class that as the competition proper even though it’s not really….

You get a 4 point bonus for qualification for the UCL which is additional to any points you gain from results. 3 points are provided for qualifying for the UEL group stage but that’s given as a minimum points tally if you score less than 3 points from your results and it isn’t added on as a bonus if you score more than 3 points from results in the group 

15 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

It's all about how many points we pick up in the group stages.

Brugge (our competition for the CWC) are in the conference league and will probably win allot of games.

If we go into the CL, we will probably suffer a good few losses even if we finish 3rd, meaning Brugge overtake us in the race to the CWC.

If we go into the Europa groups, we will probably get a good few wins, which will keep us ahead of Brugge in the race to the CWC.

Sorry mate - didnt realise you were on about coeffitients and CWC being Club World Cup - actually thought you were saying "cup winners cup" :lol: I get you now.. Well, yes, the chances are we get beat a few times in the CL, but COnference can be quite a tricky competition as well. Some very good teams in there :) 

20 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

This will be the last season of the current setup.

New format next season across the competitions. I'm sure there is no dropping down anymore. 

CL Group stages gone. It's now single league phase. 

36 teams. The top eight sides in the league will qualify automatically for the knockout stage, while teams finishing 9th to 24th will compete in a two-legged play-off to secure place in the last 16.

Quoting these two posts from the FIFA CWC thread. Actually it should probably be spoken about in there as there's already a lot of good information. Not quoting the all but @Brubear has several good posts on page 7 of that thread further explaining how it works and expanding on what we can potentially hope for. 

1 hour ago, GA1972 said:

Qualifiers count toward the country coefficient 

There's no points for teams unless you're eliminated and then you get 2 points or something 

Team points start from group stages

3 minutes ago, Shetland Bear said:

@johanhentze Looking at the Conference League draw, Club Brugge have been drawn against AGF Aarhus in the 2nd qualifying round. As our Danish football expert do you reckon AGF have a chance of doing us a favour?

Be a tough draw in reality, probably one of the hardest they could’ve got but they should have enough to see them off 

Zagreb getting to CL is key. If they do and we do, no big deal since we will both be in Pot 3. If they do and we don’t, we will be in EL Pot 1. If they don’t and we don’t, we will almost certainly be in EL Pot 2 and could draw Liverpool, Ajax, West Ham, Villareal, Roma or Leverkusen.

Of course I want CL football.

13 minutes ago, BuffaloUSAGers said:

Zagreb getting to CL is key. If they do and we do, no big deal since we will both be in Pot 3. If they do and we don’t, we will be in EL Pot 1. If they don’t and we don’t, we will almost certainly be in EL Pot 2 and could draw Liverpool, Ajax, West Ham, Villareal, Roma or Leverkusen.

Of course I want CL football.

I think we'd both be Pot 1 at the expense of Sporting Lisbon (52.5) and Rennes (44)?