Europe 23/24

Would rather play in europa league and be competitive, our confidence took an enormous battering and that carried over into our league form. We get through a few rounds in the europa we end up with the same kind of money anyway.

As said above, fuck the champions league and the elitism.

Good to know we’ll be seeded actually, we’ve got some amount of redeeming to do in the CL. To go from EL finalists to complete whipping boys in 6 months is shocking.

Beale should be demanding exactly what he needs at least 2-3 weeks before the first games of the season. If it’s the same old story signing players with a day to go, as usual that’ll set us on the back foot. 

The Europa League is our level and I think winning games regularly in that competition helps us maintain our form in the League, getting spanked in the Champions League does nothing for us as a club, it demoralises the players and the fans.

The money is a factor though, we can't be letting the tims get double the European money than us just by being in a different competition, it's not just the prize money, the TV share and the 10yr coefficient is also huge and that would all go to them if we don't make it.

31 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Can't believe there are so many not wanting us to make the CL groups.

Financially I do. 

But we're so far from that level of football. This seasons performance was embarrassing. Fuck going through that again. 

28 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Can't believe there are so many not wanting us to make the CL groups.

The CL feels like a bit of a vicious cycle, in that we need the money from it to compete for the league, while at the same time playing in it seems to fuck up our league season.

At this point I wouldn’t be overly gutted if we didn’t make the groups, it’d be annoying from a financial perspective but I can see it wreaking havoc with us domestically like it did this year.

Making the playoffs would probably soften the blow as we get a decent chunk from that.

1 minute ago, The FF Snitch said:

The CL feels like a bit of a vicious cycle, in that we need the money from it to compete for the league, while at the same time playing in it seems to fuck up our league season.

At this point I wouldn’t be overly gutted if we didn’t make the groups, it’d be annoying from a financial perspective but I can see it wreaking havoc with us domestically like it did this year.

Making the playoffs would probably soften the blow as we get a decent chunk from that.

Who the fucks your avatar?!

2 hours ago, left winger said:

Another six tankings in the CL won’t do us any favours. A narrow defeat to a top team in the play offs, then qualifying from our EL group and hopefully making the last 16 would be okay for next season.

Last year was an anomaly for me. With additions, a squad not bereft of injuries and a full preseason under our belt, I predict we'll perform much better if we qualify.

14 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Good thread, op. We need the Champions league money, especially while the scum are getting it.

I take it Braga or USG are the stick ons who we're guaranteed to get if we get into the play off? 

If the league positions stay as they currently are, yes. Though I believe we could get Genk, Antwerp, Porto, Ajax or Partizan if positions change.

Getting to the playoff appears relatively hassle-free, which is a plus as just reaching that round gets us £5 million or thereabouts.

18 minutes ago, The FF Snitch said:

I get that we've been burnt this season with it, but the financial perspective is hugely significant.

So is being able to attract and keep players who want to play in it.

Finishing third in the CL group and making the EL would be my preferred outcome.

1 minute ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I get that we've been burnt this season with it, but the financial perspective is hugely significant.

So is being able to attract and keep players who want to play in it.

Finishing third in the CL group and making the EL would be my preferred outcome.

Robertson told us it was only worth an extra £3m