General Transfer Talk

Broxi

3 hours ago, Finny said:

Any examples? 

3 hours ago, The Godfather said:

Raskin and Cantwell obv

"Todd was an excellent player when he was young and playing against my Liverpool under 23s".

When he rejoined us I listened to 3 or 4 hours worth of podcasts Beale had done, it's clear from these and a lot his comments on the job for us that his comfort zone is working with and recruiting players he knows.

Rather than say scouting unfamilar but untapped talent in Europe or further afield.

14 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

"Todd was an excellent player when he was young and playing against my Liverpool under 23s".

When he rejoined us I listened to 3 or 4 hours worth of podcasts Beale had done, it's clear from these and a lot his comments on the job for us that his comfort zone is working with and recruiting players he knows.

Rather than say scouting unfamilar but untapped talent in Europe or further afield.

Cantwell is a good signing, don't know what the issue is if the players he's been involved with are good enough.

He's had 1 window and you are already making ridiculous assumptions on what he is going to do in the summer.

5 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Cantwell is a good signing, don't know what the issue is if the players he's been involved with are good enough.

He's had 1 window and you are already making ridiculous assumptions on what he is going to do in the summer.

To be fair he actually said the planned summer signings would have clear links to him, or words to that affect.

36 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I highly doubt he has signed him purely off a game against his U23 squad about six seasons ago like you are implying mate. 

He will be more aware of English players, players he has worked with or players that have worked with people he knows well. That is the same with every manager really, Gio is the only manager I can remember not to sign a player or two from his home nation that he was aware of AND knew fitted what he needed. I'd say more often than not those signings are the ones that are successes as well. If he can supplement those kind of signings with a few scouted talents across Europe like Raskin then great.

I'm imagining when he says 4/5 to come in, that is without replacing sales. So instantly, I'd say GK, CB, CM, ST and RW there. Say those replace McGregor, Helander, Arfield, Morelos and Kent (I would keep Jack purely for HG reasons). I would sell Kamara, Hagi, Lundstram and Davies. Instead of direct replacements, I would get a CB, CM, LW and ST if they leave.

New GK | Tavernier Goldson New CB Yilmaz | Raskin New CM | New RW Cantwell New LW/Lawrence | New ST

Bench: McCrorie, New CB, Souttar, King, Barisic, Devine, Jack, New CM, New LW/Lawrence, Sakala, Colak, New ST.

Nine players in one summer isn't too ridiculous. Put it this way, what will leave us in a worse off position, signing too many players that don't gel straight away but have the chance of becoming a solid team after a while or persisting with guys like Lundstram, Kamara and Davies who have let us down multiple times already and will most likely do it again?

49 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

He is and there is none. Still all to prove against celtic mind you.

Highlighting a bit of concern at primarily looking at former EPL academy players now at various levels in the English pyramid is all I'm saying, and I think it's a fair point.

Players coming in need to be at Raskin's level or better.

5 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I agree with others, if clubs are asking about Hagi, then sell. He is a good player and will be an asset to someone. That goal against Germany will be in the minds of potential buyers.

Unfortunately for him, Tillman, Cantwell & Lawrence are all ahead of him.

Not disagreeing with the sentiment but probably a bit of a stretch to say Lawrence is ahead of Hagi?

He has played 5 games for us. He was looking bright but is probably going to have similar issues getting back up to speed after his injury.

That being said I think Hagi will probably be one of the players to leave this summer. He has had a big reputation growing up and his name obviously carries a lot of weight for certain clubs, which will mean he is probably near the top of the list in terms of what we could realistically be expecting in transfer fees.

1 hour ago, Skyson1872 said:

I'm imagining when he says 4/5 to come in, that is without replacing sales. So instantly, I'd say GK, CB, CM, ST and RW there. Say those replace McGregor, Helander, Arfield, Morelos and Kent (I would keep Jack purely for HG reasons). I would sell Kamara, Hagi, Lundstram and Davies. Instead of direct replacements, I would get a CB, CM, LW and ST if they leave.

New GK | Tavernier Goldson New CB Yilmaz | Raskin New CM | New RW Cantwell New LW/Lawrence | New ST

Bench: McCrorie, New CB, Souttar, King, Barisic, Devine, Jack, New CM, New LW/Lawrence, Sakala, Colak, New ST.

Nine players in one summer isn't too ridiculous. Put it this way, what will leave us in a worse off position, signing too many players that don't gel straight away but have the chance of becoming a solid team after a while or persisting with guys like Lundstram, Kamara and Davies who have let us down multiple times already and will most likely do it again?

Probably seven I reckon Lundstram, Roofe and Matondo will still be here.

6 hours ago, bluenoz said:

He is not bang average and is worth more than 3M. 

Hagi is a unique player in that he is not just a skilful player, but a marketing dream based on his last name.

If we want to sell him, we need to play him. He has been fit for donkey years.

So even though he's not that good we should play him so we can sell him?

I'm genuinely struggling to think what Hagi's attributes are

2 hours ago, JackAlex93 said:

So even though he's not that good we should play him so we can sell him?

I'm genuinely struggling to think what Hagi's attributes are

It's not for me to tell about Hagi's attributes. If you don't know what they are  it says more about how you see the game. 

In this window we need to make sure we really do get quality. 

They ( the 4/5) have to be 1st choice players.

I think hes confident at the back just a GK required.

He'll want another in the middle and a whole new front line.

GK 

CM/CAM

LF

RF

ST

Those are the positions, regardless of what we think, Beale and the board will be looking to address.

7 hours ago, bluenoz said:

It's not for me to tell about Hagi's attributes. If you don't know what they are  it says more about how you see the game. 

He has decent technical ability but is slower than a week in the jail. First touch is a tackle at times and has literally no stamina. Can't remember many games that he has lasted 90 minutes. 

11 minutes ago, JackAlex93 said:

He has decent technical ability but is slower than a week in the jail. First touch is a tackle at times and has literally no stamina. Can't remember many games that he has lasted 90 minutes. 

His balance is my main issue. Seems to fall over half the time he gets the ball

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

In this window we need to make sure we really do get quality. 

They ( the 4/5) have to be 1st choice players.

I think hes confident at the back just a GK required.

He'll want another in the middle and a whole new front line.

GK 

CM/CAM

LF

RF

ST

Those are the positions, regardless of what we think, Beale and the board will be looking to address.

Think we will be 100% looking for a new centre back. 

19 hours ago, Smile said:

I love Arfield have a signed picture on my wall but his times sadly up at us.

Not down to ability work ethic or enthusiasm for the game just because he's done now.

We need scottish influence, with davis and mcgregor going/retiring.

His experience and squad demanding standards is crucial.

The only player we have that is natural to the press and his love for the club.

He still has a part to play, at reduced terms. Which he might accept as his next move is likely a Hearts.

Can ses Scotty going into coaching, possibly player/manager at Falkirk etc.

8 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Think we will be 100% looking for a new centre back. 

With the overhaul that's needed, and I'm talking about starters, I very much doubt we are as desperate for a CB as other positions. 

Goldson 100% starter with Davies, Souttar or King. 

That should be plenty for the SPL.

6 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

We need scottish influence, with davis and mcgregor going/retiring.

His experience and squad demanding standards is crucial.

The only player we have that is natural to the press and his love for the club.

He still has a part to play, at reduced terms. Which he might accept as his next move is likely a Hearts.

Can ses Scotty going into coaching, possibly player/manager at Falkirk etc.

Wright, Arfield, Jack and Souttar will likely all stay unless we bring in another Scottish trained player.

We effectively need 4 Club trained players and 4 trained by another club in Scotland. The above 4 are our 'other trained'.

If any of the above leave, we have to replace, possibly with something like Ramsay on loan.

We don't really have any club trained players over 21 apart from McCrorie with McGregor leaving, but guys like King and Lowry will hopefully fill these slots in a few years.

24 minutes ago, Number5 said:

With the overhaul that's needed, and I'm talking about starters, I very much doubt we are as desperate for a CB as other positions. 

Goldson 100% starter with Davies, Souttar or King. 

That should be plenty for the SPL.

That choice of centre backs really doesn't fill me with much confidence at all