Davies, Yilmaz, Matondo, Cifuentes, Dessers and Lammers

2 minutes ago, Darth Bear said:

I think that this has been the problem the last couple of years. You mentioned six players costing £15M which basically averages at £2.5M per player. Obviously it doesn't work out exactly that for each player but for me we have been going after numbers instead of quality hoping that they turn good. The splattergun approach as we used to call it and laugh about when Celtic were doing it.

You have to be very lucky with at least half of your signings if that is going to have any chance of working.

Would much rather we only got 2-3 quality signings instead of trying to change the whole team every year. 

The money we've spent on those players is more than enough to be bringing in quality players for our level

We have a bigger wage bill than the filth

Must be one of the few if not only clubs in world football (within their budget and league) that spunk millions on dross/ injury prone players on a consistent basis since returning to top flight, tbf we actually spunked loads in lower leagues as well now I think about it. Depressing

Matondo was just coming onto a decent game when he got injured. I'd stick by him.

He was pushed out the team previously by Sakala. The two are very similar styles of player and Matondo was usually the tribute act.

BUT..... he's as fast as fuck and few defences can deal with his speed.

6 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

The money we've spent on those players is more than enough to be bringing in quality players for our level

We have a bigger wage bill than the filth

A couple of million on a player is OK for squad players but the lack of quality is readily apparent. The filth are buying players costing a lot more than what we are getting. Our wage bill is higher than there's due to having loads of players that we can't get rid of. Adding another half dozen players to that will not help us financially. 

5 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

We do need the bulk of a new team

Agreed but thinking that we are going to be able to make those changes in a single season is a pipe dream. 

Just now, Darth Bear said:

A couple of million on a player is OK for squad players but the lack of quality is readily apparent. The filth are buying players costing a lot more than what we are getting. Our wage bill is higher than there's due to having loads of players that we can't get rid of. Adding another half dozen players to that will not help us financially. 

Agreed but thinking that we are going to be able to make those changes in a single season is a pipe dream. 

Kyogo, Abada, O'Riley, Palma, Johnston, Hatate and Maeda all cost similar sort of fees to the ones in the OP but contribute far more

They have plenty of shite sitting there doing fuck all as well; McCarthy, Iwata, Kobayashi, Bernabei etc

13 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Kyogo, Abada, O'Riley, Palma, Johnston, Hatate and Maeda all cost similar sort of fees to the ones in the OP but contribute far more

They have plenty of shite sitting there doing fuck all as well; McCarthy, Iwata, Kobayashi, Bernabei etc

A couple of bargains from the other side of the world that they only got because their manager knew the market there well. They have consistently paid over £5M for players for years which has gave them the solid base to work from which is what I think we should be doing. 

We were paying more for players before we were fucked over than what we are now despite the massive rise in transfer fees. It is hardly surprising that we are getting players of a lesser quality than we used to go for.

1 minute ago, Darth Bear said:

A couple of bargains from the other side of the world that they only got because their manager knew the market there well. They have consistently paid over £5M for players for years which has gave them the solid base to work from which is what I think we should be doing. 

We were paying more for players before we were fucked over than what we are now despite the massive rise in transfer fees. It is hardly surprising that we are getting players of a lesser quality than we used to go for.

No they haven't. Jota and Carter-Vickers. We've done it with Kent and Danilo.

We weren't really.

14 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

We weren't really.

Kent ended up getting us fuck all and so will Danilo. Another headless chicken. Would rather have sakala. 

14 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

We weren't really.

Lafferty, Edu, Jelavic, Davis were all about that price of the top of my head and that was when we were cutting back on spending. 

We are better off getting a couple of decent players in than getting another 8-9 players that are not good enough and we are stuck with again. We were supposed to be cutting back on the squad size when we had so many players leaving but we have just replaced dross with dross.

We spent the guts of 12-15 million quid on 'upgrading' our forward line in the summer with Danilo, Sima, Dessers and Lammers and once again our right back is going to be our top scorer this season with about 15 goals. Wouldn't happen at any other club, we're a shambles.

5 hours ago, FlippinEck said:

Kent ended up getting us fuck all and so will Danilo. Another headless chicken. Would rather have sakala. 

Dread to think what Danilo’s goals to attempts ratio is.

Seems to miss loads of guilt added chances in the games he’s played, more so than Sakala did who cost us fuck all.

Still can’t get me head round us offloading Colak.

8 hours ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

We weren't really.

The thing they did well was loan to buy. They identified 2 guys that were going to be their big money signings and got to test drive them first.

Same for us with Kent (and we really should have sold him for a profit).

If whoever drafted our agreement for Tillman wasn’t so shit we might have signed him.

Makes for horrible reading. All that money spent and not one of them has been able to make themselves a nailed on starter. 

There was a moment last night the ball dropped to Lammers and he completely mis-kicks a shot, it goes to Cifuentes who can’t control it quick enough then decide what he wants to do and gets the ball taken off him. Makes you wana to claw your eyes out watching them. 

8 hours ago, Darth Bear said:

Lafferty, Edu, Jelavic, Davis were all about that price of the top of my head and that was when we were cutting back on spending. 

We are better off getting a couple of decent players in than getting another 8-9 players that are not good enough and we are stuck with again. We were supposed to be cutting back on the squad size when we had so many players leaving but we have just replaced dross with dross.

They were similar amounts, in some cases smaller amounts, than we are spending now.

What sort off fees would you be spending on these 2 or 3 players?

8 hours ago, Darth Bear said:

Yeh tbf this is an ideal approach. But the 8-9 guys in the last few windows became a necessary gamble on the back of previously poor recruitment and squad management.

Ideally you build a young squad (a good few years younger than ours) that’s constantly improving.

You sell off the top 2 in demand assets and you go out and spend on 2-3 young quality players. And repeat.

We went for the approach of not selling anybody. (Which might have been justified for 55). And then after 55 spending no money and signing lots of players for a bloated squad. And then half arsing the self-imposed rebuild by not selling Morelos, Kent and Kamara to fund it.

The result is we’re basically fucked now. No sellable assets. No money in the tin. Not a young squad that’s going to improve.

And about 6-7 positions that need upgrades yet again if we’re to win the league next year 

6 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

They were similar amounts, in some cases smaller amounts, than we are spending now.

What sort off fees would you be spending on these 2 or 3 players?

Which is what I originally said, that we are paying the same amount for players as we were over a decade and seem to think that we will be able to get the same kind of quality. The results say otherwise. 

I've said for the last couple of seasons that I think we should be concentrating more on adding a bit of quality rather than numbers and I would rather spend the budget on just a couple of players and trim the size of the squad to help with the wage bill. I still think that is the correct transfer policy going forward than wholesale swoping and changing every year.