Best Outcome for Europe IMO

25 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

Europe is gone, next time I want champions league participation and that starts with Dundee away on Sunday, an absolute must win for us so let's park this and get the Dundee match thread up 👌

Couldnt agree more get this thread in the bin

It's not the best outcome for Europe but its the best outcome for the rest of our domestic campaign. Im sure PC will be full steam ahead on getting through Sunday and getting players rested and ready for this run in. Let's fucking do this.

I dont believe anyone hoped we'd get put out of Europe to concentrate on the league.  

However I can understand on looking what it now means , after the disappointment of last night .

We now have the same amount of games as the tarriers . No extra opportunities for injury , no extra travelling and then playing in the Sunday with the extra pressure of playing catch up , and more time to recover . 

The ends in sight with nine league games and , hopefully , two Cup games to go . Complete focus and we should be in for a fantastic season . 

1 hour ago, Stunels said:

Really dont think we got fucked out at all - think the players can be proud of last night despite not progressing 

Fucked out, knocked out. Same difference. Its just a turn of phrase.

Never once said the players shouldn't be proud of their efforts.

We did however hand Benfica 2 goals on a plate. In that regards, we fucked it. Hence my use of  'fucked out of the competition'.

3 hours ago, The Godfather said:

Place is full of complete bell ends man. Digging us for nit getting into the quarters with a threadbare squad against teams who spend 100 million building squads.

They don't deserve to follow us

It certainly is.

Might be a badly worded OP. 

Obviously the best outcome is to win it. But let's be honest we faced a Benfica team who were missing just one player through injury. 

We on the other hand have half a team out with another bunch just coming back. 

Sterling was one of our stand out performers over in Lisbon, but was missing for the return. 

There is no doubt if we had a full team with options on the bench we would very likely win that game. 

The most important thing is to get 3pts at Dundee regroup and get some of these tired legs rested for the final push. 

2 hours ago, Stunels said:

Wrote this thread in like 30 seconds straight after the final whistle after 5 pints and regretted it ever since

But yes that is pretty much exactly what I meant to say 

Fuck it mate. Its an internet forum, who cares.

Everyone was dissapointed, whatever standard of "outcome" 🤪 it was or not so inevitable the reaction you got although I got what you were getting at.

Should have got through and of course a bit gutted as would have been lovely to lift the europa in prime taig land. In reality 56 is what matters right now as a priority focus. Would have been a strain on our bare-thread squad to say get knocked out in semis and tough league games we need to win

We would have beaten Marseille, but not Liverpool in the semis. Some will say it is four fewer games that we don't need (true), but a semi against Liverpool would have been amazing. We lost to Benfica on very fine margins and they will get the limelight against Liverpool. Frustrating.

Tend to agree with the OP although think he might have been better to leave it a day or two before posting.  Clement has generally managed to get the team to over perform since he arrived, not sure if player for player we are any better than we were the last couple of seasons, certainly not now with injuries taking the toll. Realistically, with the players we have at our disposal,  if we manage to win the league this season it’ll be a great season, if we win the treble it will be exceptional.

Europe was always going to be a step too far this season, especially with the standard of the teams left in it.  And quite honestly, if there is one season we want to miss out getting to the final, it’s this year.  I know there was a lot of bravado of going to Dublin and it would have been a great wind up against the celtic fans but it would have been a poisoned chalice with regard to the potential trouble and publicity it would have generated.

The dream is over.

But it certainly wasn't the best outcome.

European football is the pinnacle for me.

Still scunnered, but given our injury crisis it has proven one competition too many.

Concentrate on the domestic treble now. That would be a fantastic achievement in itself.

On 14/03/2024 at 20:18, Stunels said:

Reckon that was the best possible outcome considering our team this season.  We were an utter shambles under Beale and its astounding that PC managed to get us to last 16.  Think it was inevitable we got put out considering the quality in the Europa League this season (Liverpool will win it probably).  

We played a European giant and took them back to Ibrox after a solid away performance.  Played well at home and got outdone after a good showing.  Not disheartened by that personally.

Now its all the league, nothing to distract us.  Obviously I want to win every tournament we are in but just thinking realistically this is not a bad outcome.

Gave you the full set with a 😪

We are Rangers, we go for the full set.

7 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

The dream is over.

Still scunnered, but given our injury crisis it has proven one competition too many.

Concentrate on the domestic treble now. That would be a fantastic achievement in itself.

I think it is when you’re consistently winning domestically. We need to start winning league trophies regularly again first. 

11 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

The dream is over.

I worded this thread very badly - it obviously wasn't the best outcome. 

But to me it is not a bad outcome considering this season could still be an overwhelming success and get us into the CL.   If something had to give due to our injury situation I'd rather it be Europe than the league.

16 hours ago, bluenoz said:

We would have beaten Marseille, but not Liverpool in the semis. Some will say it is four fewer games that we don't need (true), but a semi against Liverpool would have been amazing. We lost to Benfica on very fine margins and they will get the limelight against Liverpool. Frustrating.

Liverpool will blow Benfica away