*****The Official Dundee v Rangers Match Thread*****

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

It's pretty much spot on and something @psb07158 and I have been chatting to each other about for months.

Funnily enough I remember going back 7 odd years ago when we played Hamilton away and we won 5-3 or something and Murty after the game criticised our players not respecting opponents enough, basically alluding to getting ourselves in the sorts of scenarios like we see here, and the hard of thinking in our support were going mental over the phrase "respecting opponents". 

Mentioned the exact same thing about not respecting opponents the other day 

Only 4 points from the last twelve. The worst possible time to hit a dip in form, and we now face a difficult game on a nightmare surface, the potential for a perfect storm. It is amazing how quickly things change, just a few short weeks ago we were looking great for the Title and a possible treble, blow this tonight the Title will be gone and looking forward to Sunday through the gaps in our fingers. Just got to get this done tonight, whatever it takes.

19 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It's pretty much spot on and something @psb07158 and I have been chatting to each other about for months.

Funnily enough I remember going back 7 odd years ago when we played Hamilton away and we won 5-3 or something and Murty after the game criticised our players not respecting opponents enough, basically alluding to getting ourselves in the sorts of scenarios like we see here, and the hard of thinking in our support were going mental over the phrase "respecting opponents". 

Ooh, admin friends!

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, Jakes Pal said:

Only 4 points from the last twelve. The worst possible time to hit a dip in form, and we now face a difficult game on a nightmare surface, the potential for a perfect storm. It is amazing how quickly things change, just a few short weeks ago we were looking great for the Title and a possible treble, blow this tonight the Title will be gone and looking forward to Sunday through the gaps in our fingers. Just got to get this done tonight, whatever it takes.

The drop in form has been brutal.

Unfortunately we have some players with previous for bottling title races. It's hard to see them not collapsing again. 

Hope Clement can get something out them last 6 games. If this lot have blown another one then it's long past due for a clear out.

30 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I wasn't able to read the whole article but the graphic they've used in that tweet really hits home the naivety in the team out of possession.  Clement has really pushed this team forward with chance creation and goals imo, our play with the ball under Beale was stale to say the least. But we really do leave some amount of gaps when we lose it and don't deal with those scenarios well enough.  Teams in the english premier league are hyper aggressive in those situations in that they hold a backline on the halfway line (I watched newcastle beat spurs the other day and spurs were so far forward they tried to play a guy offside in his own half).  We never really look like we know how to hold a line at all.  We also fail to get close enough to win it back quickly, or at the very least, break the counter attack with a foul (something celtic did to us for the entire game at ibrox last week).

I think Clement understands the counter-attacking problem tbf, he said it's a failing of system and organisation I believe his quote was, but while we continue to persevere with Barisic and Tav in the wing back roles I think we'll always be exposed to counter attacking football imo.

The lack of awareness shown by the midfield in covering for full backs pushing forward has cost us.

The current 4-2-3-1 might need to switch to a traditional 4-4-2 with the wider midfielders realising the importance of their defensive duties too.

Used to be Jack and Kamara but, these days, a middle four of Lundstram, Sterling, Cantwell and Diomande supporting Sima and Dessers might work?

We’ve moaned about width but we don’t have a single quality wide player these days and, even if we did, we rarely seem to win headers in the box anyway.

Flat four across the middle and two up top has to be worth a try imo.

46 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It’s something which I think people fundamentally misunderstand when they hear the phrase “respecting opponents” - to respect your opponent is to understand their strengths and weaknesses and exploit them accordingly, it does not mean to cower in fear or to sit in because you’re worried about how good they are.

Far too often we disrespect opponents by assuming they’re just rubbish, and leave huge gaps in behind because we assume that they won’t take advantage of them. We quite often fail to do the basics because our players think you don’t need to do the basics to beat these teams, and that lack of respect translates to us not bothering to track back or mark players when they counter attack.

It’s unfounded arrogance considering this squad haven’t won very much.