Where do we go from here?

1 minute ago, crazy bob swollenbaws said:

I am sure I heard we have used sports psychologists but I may be mistaken.  Not sure they are being listened to however. 

Given that we have been using that Zone7 software to supposedly make decisions around player injury risk and also fitness, it feels like we are a technocratic club expecting to have success through theory rather than hard graft,teamwork, cameraderie, fight  etc.  Would not surprise me if any sports psychologist was ignored, especially if they criticised on pitch leadership.

We're not seriously still using that are we? 

2 minutes ago, blaudrup said:

We're not seriously still using that are we? 

That got dropped did it not? I seem to remember us, Liverpool and Wolves all using it at the same time and each club had some of their worst injury performances in recent history

42 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

The gap between the 10 and midfield two is far far too big.

There’s just no connection in there at all.

Clement actually chewed the face off some fan media person who brought up the importance of midfield battle in the pre match press conference.

Bet Clement feels like a dick now because the fan media person who brought it up was spot on.

I remember when that mob had di canio , Thom, cadete and van hoojdonk . They were better technically and quicker than us but we had winners and fighters. Gough, mccall, ferguson Robertson then the flair of Gazza and Laudrup. What we have is good players that need managed better . Someone who strikes fear but they can respect . Fuck knows who that is but maybe Moyes, muscat , Gerard again . I don't know but alot of these guys have come from successful careers elsewhere so they don't become shite the minute they play for us. 

Just my opinion.

We are in one hell of a position just now. Maybe the worst since we got back to the top league. Im one who is sick of constantly changing managers, sooner or later we have to give somebody time to implement a long term plan. Short term pain for long term gain maybe.

The problem is that currently there are no signs whatsoever that clement is the right man to implement that plan. For any plan to work when we are downsizing the wage bill we have to have a manager who can improve fairly average players and make the sum of the whole greater than its parts. This aint happening and unless there are some signs fairly soon that it is then clement will be a gonner, contract extension or not. 

17 minutes ago, crazy bob swollenbaws said:

So do you think our fitness is already at the optimum level? If not how do you remedy?

I'm not a sport therapist or some sort of fitness fanatic, but I imagine the fact that no top sport in the world has their athletes running up and down sand dunes works to improve fitness in any meaningful way.

The only way that would help is if it builds some sort of team building/ team ethic, yeah then fair enough, but that's not going to build fitness to win football games.

So my point was for instilling in the players minds some reason for them to expect their team performance to be better. There confidence and expectation to improve because they are fitter and known weak areas of the team have been remedied for example. A way of avoiding doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Re fitness, though, you have not said whether you believe our fitness is optimal at present. Do you?

I suggested the sand dunes because they are low impact surface that will build stamina. Also may be ore common than you think:

image.thumb.png.c1ce160d0080f4d4728fc97a62f6c7d3.png

It looks unlikely Clement has the ability to implement a solid structure to the team first and foremost then moving towards his preferred setup.

We are so open it’s crazy. Simple balls have half the team caught the wrong side off the ball numerous times. Any team with a manager with moderate ability will pick us apart, it’s so frustrating to watch.

He needs to be more pragmatic in his approach or he’ll not last the year.
For all Gerard’s failings I like the way the team knew its roles and structure where the team would move in unison to squeeze space and hunt down teams. Defensively the team would shuffle across as a unit to stop teams transitioning quickly. We are a shambles setup wise. 🙈🙈

3 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

That should be the case but it isn’t.

We haven’t won an away game in league since the end of April.

We drew with a dugshite Hearts team first game of season.

Ano what you're saying but that doesn't mean we won't go on a run of winning games, we more than likely will, we always do, and when we do folk will just kid themselves on that we've turned a corner.

3 hours ago, teddybear1975 said:

It looks unlikely Clement has the ability to implement a solid structure to the team first and foremost then moving towards his preferred setup.

We are so open it’s crazy. Simple balls have half the team caught the wrong side off the ball numerous times. Any team with a manager with moderate ability will pick us apart, it’s so frustrating to watch.

He needs to be more pragmatic in his approach or he’ll not last the year.
For all Gerard’s failings I like the way the team knew its roles and structure where the team would move in unison to squeeze space and hunt down teams. Defensively the team would shuffle across as a unit to stop teams transitioning quickly. We are a shambles setup wise. 🙈🙈

3 passes they played yesterday and they were in behind for the disallowed goal, so weak all over the park its laughable.

3 hours ago, MurrayWilson said:

We are in one hell of a position just now. Maybe the worst since we got back to the top league. Im one who is sick of constantly changing managers, sooner or later we have to give somebody time to implement a long term plan. Short term pain for long term gain maybe.

The problem is that currently there are no signs whatsoever that clement is the right man to implement that plan. For any plan to work when we are downsizing the wage bill we have to have a manager who can improve fairly average players and make the sum of the whole greater than its parts. This aint happening and unless there are some signs fairly soon that it is then clement will be a gonner, contract extension or not. 

spot on...no would like, but would accept , a few years as runners up etc so long as its a true rebuild with a proven manager producing a true blue club....... and it aint clement 

3 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Bet Clement feels like a dick now because the fan media person who brought it up was spot on.

I'll put a bet on that he doesn't.

Get the feeling with him that he thinks he is right with everything that he does and if it goes wrong then it's other circumstances.

He doesn't get the importance of these matches as there's no other match in world football that compares. You either get it after your first one or you never will.

4 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Did you watch it when it came out? Clement cut right through him.

In part by rightly pointing out that you have to be good enough all over the pitch and not just in midfield, but he absolutely downplayed the importance of midfield.

Which ties in a bit with his general approach to football.

We are going round and round in ever-decreasing circles. Like a hellish Escher conundrum, there is no escape route with the numpties currently in charge - and no prospect of a knight in shining armour waiting in the wings with bucket loads of cash.

That is bad enough but the real sickener is that there is also no current prospect of the Bheggars doing anything other than powering on from strength to strength with a brilliantly functioning player-trading model, settled side, good squad, capable manager and clear playing style.

The regression since "55" is staggering and I can't think of one thing to be positive about.

4 hours ago, Essandoh said:

That got dropped did it not? I seem to remember us, Liverpool and Wolves all using it at the same time and each club had some of their worst injury performances in recent history

We never got told who was changed in our sport science department, if anyone did at all. 

Zone7 still have our logo on their site whilst other teams have been removed. 

21 hours ago, esquire8 said:

We never got told who was changed in our sport science department, if anyone did at all. 

Zone7 still have our logo on their site whilst other teams have been removed. 

Conal murtagh on the website commending them for constantly updating their algorithm. Working in software that means there is no confidence that that algorithm is trustworthy. It really is a load of shit.

It's really worrying.  For all that Clement just doesn't seem to be learning and adapting from each failure, do we really trust the board to replace him with anyone capable of doing any better.  It really shouldn't be as hard as all the managers we've had recently have made it out to be.  Bring in some solidity in defence, get the midfield to operate as a collective and have the creative players move the ball at pace.  We just need someone to come in and make us very hard to beat, then have pace in attack with quick transitions.  Instead we seem to keep finding managers who stubbornly adhere to a rigid system which they won't change even when we're behind.

18 hours ago, crazy bob swollenbaws said:

So my point was for instilling in the players minds some reason for them to expect their team performance to be better. There confidence and expectation to improve because they are fitter and known weak areas of the team have been remedied for example. A way of avoiding doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Re fitness, though, you have not said whether you believe our fitness is optimal at present. Do you?

I suggested the sand dunes because they are low impact surface that will build stamina. Also may be ore common than you think:

image.thumb.png.c1ce160d0080f4d4728fc97a62f6c7d3.png

You're quoting me Swansea and Blackpool as evidence that running up sand dunes is how to get our fitness to the next level. Think you're proving my point.

Need to remember when Gerrard took over they were ‘decades ahead of Rangers’ and scores would be ‘whatever they wanted them to be’.

He’d got us an OF win within 6 months, with the likes of Worral, Halliday, McCrorie and Candeias in the team. Wasn’t smooth sailing, but it was a rookie manager who won the title within 3 seasons and built the core of a team that went to a European final. 

Similarly, we were going to go on and dominate for years to come once their ‘house of cards collapsed’. Gravy veins came in and after a rocky start won the league, and then went onto a treble.

Football turns quickly. A good manager and half a dozen astute signings and it can flip from one to another. Need to get the back of house in order first though, give us a platform to build from.

We are absolutely all over the place at the moment. 

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

Need to remember when Gerrard took over they were ‘decades ahead of Rangers’ and scores would be ‘whatever they wanted them to be’.

He’d got us an OF win within 6 months, with the likes of Worral, Halliday, McCrorie and Candeias in the team. Wasn’t smooth sailing, but it was a rookie manager who won the title within 3 seasons and built the core of a team that went to a European final. 

Similarly, we were going to go on and dominate for years to come once their ‘house of cards collapsed’. Gravy veins came in and after a rocky start won the league, and then went onto a treble.

Football turns quickly. A good manager and half a dozen astute signings and it can flip from one to another. Need to get the back of house in order first though, give us a platform to build from.

We are absolutely all over the place at the moment. 

I think someone said we have a first XI of supporting actors just now and that’s exactly what it is. We really do require 3 or 4 players with actual quality.