*** The Official Rangers vs Dundee Match Thread ***

RFCRobertson

2 minutes ago, willygers4life said:

the difference from last season till now is unreal, perforamance was great but can be better, but can actually see the players wanting to play for us the fans and the club . long may it continue 

The subs bench will also make a difference this season.

7 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I know but I just don't value that as a skill. Anyone could sit in that pocket of space and pass the ball, the easy ball, to the nearest player to them at a slow pace. It obviously has merit that I can't see, that's obvious. 

Good point, but there is a little more to it. The player also has to win the ball and shield the ball to make the pass.

Just now, writingranger said:

Good point, but there is a little more to it. The player also has to win the ball and shield the ball to make the pass.

Yeah I know I was just simplifying it a wee bit to make my point, I just don't think it takes an immense talent to play that role IMO.

Just now, K.A.I said:

I know but I just don't value that as a skill. Anyone could sit in that pocket of space and pass the ball, the easy ball, to the nearest player to them at a slow pace. It obviously has merit that I can't see, that's obvious. 

I can't really understand why anyone would value anticipation. reading of the game and control under pressure any less in a midfielder than in a central defender. It's a vulnerable position on the park and if you have a weak link there you're fucked. The fact that plenty of top class midfielders are shite as a holding midfielder seems like proof to me that not just anyone could do it.

1 minute ago, JamieD said:

I can't really understand why anyone would value anticipation. reading of the game and control under pressure any less in a midfielder than in a central defender. It's a vulnerable position on the park and if you have a weak link there you're fucked. The fact that plenty of top class midfielders are shite as a holding midfielder seems like proof to me that not just anyone could do it.

It just comes down to what you like in a player/team I suppose. I just think that there's ways that role can be done well but with a player that offers a lot more on the ball and actions.