We want Dembele money for Morelos - Robertson

Rangers have revealed they value their 28-goal striker Alfredo Morelos at £20million.

The club's star man has been in fine form this season and managing director Stewart Robertson reckons the Colombian should command a similar fee to the one celtic scooped for Moussa Dembele.

The Frenchman joined Lyon for £19.8m last summer and Robertson reckons Morelos is in the same bracket.

The 22-year-old, who is under contract with Rangers until 2022 after signing an improved deal last year, has taken his game to a new level under boss Steven Gerrard

And the Gers chief revealed the lofty valuation while speaking during a Q&A session at the ORSA convention in New Zealand.

Robertson told supporters at the event: “We rate (Alfredo) Morelos at least the same as (Moussa) Dembele in terms of value.”

Morelos has spoken openly in recent weeks about the prospect of leaving Scottish football after this season.

The former HJK Helsinki man, who was bought for just £1m in the summer of 2017, admits a host of team are keen on him.

He said: "There are many teams interested in me. Most likely my transfer will be this summer.

“I know my goalscoring record has been noticed by European clubs. Of course, I’d like to play in the Premier League.”

The MD also admitted during the session with supporters that Ryan Kent remains a permanent signing target and Steven Gerrard is involved in improvements being made at the club's Hummell Training Centre.

Just now, .Williamson. said:

I hadn't realised Morelos had said himself that he expects to leave this summer.

I already knew myself that he most likely would be but I hadn't read the interview they've mentioned there before 

There's media reports from a reported interview abroad. I've not seen when the interview was meant to have been conducted, nor a full transcript interpreted or otherwise, in fact I couldn't find any hits for his name when I searched the website of the radio station that apparently did the interview.

Not saying he hasn't said it, I just couldn't find proof of what he said, when, and to whom. One msm has probably went with something and all others have jumped on it as fact. Which it may be.

8 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

There's media reports from a reported interview abroad. I've not seen when the interview was meant to have been conducted, nor a full transcript interpreted or otherwise, in fact I couldn't find any hits for his name when I searched the website of the radio station that apparently did the interview.

Not saying he hasn't said it, I just couldn't find proof of what he said, when, and to whom. One msm has probably went with something and all others have jumped on it as fact. Which it may be.

Did @denya not call it out at the time? He said he wants to play in the EPL but he's happy playing and learning just now...maybe it was an older interview but I remember the papers saying he wants to leave and then denya rubbished it.

Just now, VentyFour said:

Did @denya not call it out at the time? He said he wants to play in the EPL but he's happy playing and learning just now...maybe it was an older interview but I remember the papers saying he wants to leave and then denya rubbished it.

There were reports ages ago, but the recent articles are giving the impression it's something he's just done. Who knows.

6 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

If you were morelos agent then you would be straight on the phone this morning looking for wages too match that valuation 

He would be .but with an eye on a move in 4months hardly worth the hassle .

Plus he will be too busy talking wages with other clubs as we speak 

1 minute ago, VentyFour said:

I think there may have been a follow up radio interview since the one Denya spoke about?

Morelos is worth that and more ++

I can't remember a player like him before, watched him during the HJK friendly he is so deceiving when covering/closing down on a keeper very quick and reads the game so well giving him a yard or two head start.

His strength is there for all to see and the reaction/treatment that gets dished out to him is testament to how much a handful he is to any backline and has an uncanny knack of turning opponents in or out of the box creating space and chances, he knows where the goal is and has proven he is a finisher.

Morelos is a far better player than Dembele is or will be, so of course he is worth more and will go on to shine even brighter when he moves on (lets just make sure we have a sell on clause added when he is sold).

9 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I don’t think we will get quite as much as that tbh. Dembele already had a reputation in England and goals against us and in the Champions League probably added a few million to his value. I think we will get between 12-15 for him.

Or if nobody meets our valuation he stays? We can’t keep selling our players on the cheap he’s worth every bit as much if not more than chocolate hamstrings 

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I don’t think we will get quite as much as that tbh. Dembele already had a reputation in England and goals against us and in the Champions League probably added a few million to his value. I think we will get between 12-15 for him.

Agreed, minimum 12m & max 15m.  

Hopefully we get lucky & end up with more but that’s my valuation (for what it’s worth!)

2 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Or if nobody meets our valuation he stays? We can’t keep selling our players on the cheap he’s every bit as much of not more than chocolate hamstrings 

He’s made it clear he wants away in the Summer. If we don’t grant him his wish and he downs tools then what? Unfortuately it’s players who hold the power now, even more so when we are saying we want £20 million for him but we aren’t paying him the wages that a £20 million player expects or typically gets.

5 minutes ago, Carling1873 said:

Morelos is worth that and more ++

I can't remember a player like him before, watched him during the HJK friendly he is so deceiving when covering/closing down on a keeper very quick and reads the game so well giving him a yard or two head start.

His strength is there for all to see and the reaction/treatment that gets dished out to him is testament to how much a handful he is to any backline and has an uncanny knack of turning opponents in or out of the box creating space and chances, he knows where the goal is and has proven he is a finisher.

Morelos is a far better player than Dembele is or will be, so of course he is worth more and will go on to shine even brighter when he moves on (lets just make sure we have a sell on clause added when he is sold).

If he can improve his one on one finishing what a player he will become .

For me he is the apitomy of the modern lone striker .He actually seems to play better when out a just him up top .

Just now seems a world away from early in the season where he was getting pelters from everywhere for missing a few sitters .For me sitters can happen but at least he was there for the chance 

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

To an extent.

No point keeping a player if he wants a move. 

Just need to sit down with his agent and make it clear. This is our valuation and once it's met he'll get his move. 

I get he wants to move but he's also under contract until 2022. We shouldn't be compromising on this. 

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

He’s made it clear he wants away in the Summer. If we don’t grant him his wish and he downs tools then what? Unfortuately it’s players who hold the power now, even more so when we are saying we want £20 million for him but we aren’t paying him the wages that a £20 million player expects or typically gets.

I don’t think he would down tools under Gerrard tbh, I’m hoping he can be persuaded to stay one more season he’ll be hard to replace 

4 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

Hopefully he can get a call up to the Colombian copa America squad and that will put his value up massively 

In two minds about this.

Obviously getting called up and playing in a major tournament will do his value the world of good. On the other hand we’ll miss him badly for the European qualifiers.