The Gardener wants back into football

1 minute ago, Misteral said:

Because he professes he loves the club and it may have gone some way to getting the fans on his side again. Guess that's my naivety coming out. 

Nothing wrong with thinking the best of people.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AMc is a RFC legend, yes he failed at certain aspects on our journey, but/however he is one of us and I welcome to Ibrox as A PAYING FAN  one day when the dust has settled. He wore the 9 and gave me many a memory and good day out. 

But the question that will never be answered is...

WTF Did Walter see in him to risk his legacy?  What did Walter see in him that made him believe that he was Rangers Manager material?

These questions are more important than the fact that....  Why was Ally was just basically a shite manager.

We will never know why.

1 minute ago, delamonty said:

WTF Did Walter see in him to risk his legacy?  What did Walter see in him that made him believe that he was Rangers Manager material?

These questions are more important than the fact that....  Why was Ally was just basically a shite manager.

We will never know why.

Ally's ability to get on with anyone makes him a good people person which is ideal you would think for man management, he clearly knows a thing or two about how to play the game etc. Walter would have seen players looking up to Ally and seeing the bonds forming not only with us but with Scotland too.

Some people are great at something but just have no idea how to pass it on or install confidence while doing it, you contrast that to Warburton who wasn't known as a great football player but seems to have the knack of passing knowledge on and installing belief etc.

That IMO is why Walter though he would be ok, although Ally's brief stint in our cup run while Walter was still here must have raised some doubts.

Obviously every Rangers fan has their own opinion of Ally McCoist and I'm no different, so as far as I'm concerned,if he wants back into football management then best of luck to him because he's going to need it. If we go back to late October 2011 when we were leading the Premier league by something like 10-12 points over the mhanks I was asked my opinion of McCoist as a manager by a few RM members after we had defeated Hearts 2-0 at Tynecastle; my opinion was that Ally was not the man to be Rangers manager for the simple reason he was tactically inept and that his training methods were to say the least amateurish ( I had seen him take two Rangers training sessions the year previously) Although I was proven correct, it gives me no pleasure whatsoever because if ever any person deserved to be Rangers manager and take our great club to further glory, it was Alistair Murdoch McCoist.

Unfortunately, as has been the case in many excellent footballers careers, being a great player doesn't guarantee a success in management, even without the turmoil Ally experienced.  Every manager makes mistakes (I should know) and perhaps McCoist will have learned something from his reign at Ibrox and become a half decent manager in time, but I certainly have reservations about him becoming successful.

He deserves respect for his outstanding career as a legendary player for Rangers but he also deserves the scathing criticism as a Rangers manager. :pipe:

Clearly going against the grain here, but I still can't forgive him. I'm too young to fully appreciate him as a player, what I've experienced first hand of him is a self confessed Rangers man who wasn't up to the job, tried to lower the standards expected of a Rangers player, then continued to take a wage once the club had steadied itself - regardless if this was £800k or £5.

He can't just pick and choose when he wants to support the club. Hes made his bed in my opinion. 

22 minutes ago, cp9 said:

Clearly going against the grain here, but I still can't forgive him. I'm too young to fully appreciate him as a player, what I've experienced first hand of him is a self confessed Rangers man who wasn't up to the job, tried to lower the standards expected of a Rangers player, then continued to take a wage once the club had steadied itself - regardless if this was £800k or £5.

He can't just pick and choose when he wants to support the club. Hes made his bed in my opinion. 

Right. Ally was a poacher,  but he was a very good poacher. He should never have been given the managers job, senior players at the club were against it,  but he had influential friends.

Honestly breaks my heart, I wanted nothing more in this world than for Ally to be our greatest manager ever. He was my hero since I was a wee boy pretending to be him on the school pitch.

I wish he'd never took the job. I'm fully prepared to forgive McCoist, he is a Rangers legend and always will be, but it's harder to forget, I'll never look at him the same way as I did 5 years ago and it honestly saddens me more than it angers me or anything else.

I also don't believe that Super Ally for one second had any malicious intent towards our Club, he is nieve and misguided, but he isn't as bad as some make him out to be. We should let it go and see how it plays out in the future but at the end of the day its done for now at least and we should move on

1 hour ago, Willis said:

Honestly breaks my heart, I wanted nothing more in this world than for Ally to be our greatest manager ever. He was my hero since I was a wee boy pretending to be him on the school pitch.

I wish he'd never took the job. I'm fully prepared to forgive McCoist, he is a Rangers legend and always will be, but it's harder to forget, I'll never look at him the same way as I did 5 years ago and it honestly saddens me more than it angers me or anything else.

I also don't believe that Super Ally for one second had any malicious intent towards our Club, he is nieve and misguided, but he isn't as bad as some make him out to be. We should let it go and see how it plays out in the future but at the end of the day its done for now at least and we should move on

Ally naïve?no chance, the man is sharp as a tack and 100% aware of his every move, he is a lot of things but naïve certainly aint one of them.

That's all fine and dandy Ally, but you took us too the cleaners via shares and an inflated wage.

You claim you never knew a thing?  Your pal Bain has a lot to answer for negotiating that type of contract for a rookie manager knowing full well who was buying the club.  So once Whyte did what you all expected and whoever picked up the pieces would have to honour your contract, Bain has stated he knew as did Alaister Johnston and Walter so to still play dumb and I never looked at the contract I just signed it pish.

Was my hero like alot of bears who went through 9 years without a title a Ally was their 3 or 4  of those seasons, we went through the bad togeather then to something unreal and 9 titles out the next 10 seasons togeather, I adored the guy as he was one of the orginals after Cooper and Munroe left.

Leeds Utd both ties, Celtic hatrick league cup final, 10 men Scottish cup semi final on a horrendous night against Celtic to help the team to their first Scottish cup in 9 years the guy was a legend full stop, Hibs League cup final after his leg break when he came on as a sub, Celtic on numerous occasions as he was a constant thorn in their side even before Souness arrived but would do fuck all for 6 games, we stood by him when he struggled as a player and made him who he was 

But Ally you let me and thousands of Rangers fans down by taking so many share of Charles Green in order to tell the fans to buy season books when the company running Rangers had no money ( so we could have stopped it all years ago) but you did and we bought 10's of thousands of books and a record share issue to end up skint.

As other posters have said do not want him anywhere near Ibrox now unless he pays like the rest of us.

Ally you let us down and if you can't see that then there is no hope, Pesonally I would like to see you donate all your shares to Rangers1872  first which I am not a member and we can forget the few quid extra you got then maybe you could take a bow in front of the the Rangers fans again.

7 hours ago, delamonty said:

We will never know why.

Tin Hat on here but I never rated Walter Smith as high as most, he played the Walter way only diff was Walter did it with better players, in a higher league, better back-room staff and with more money.