*** The Official St Johnstone vs Rangers Match Thread ***

RFCRobertson

7 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

We are 2/3 players away from being a solid fuckin team. Last season under Warburton we loose 2 minimum in that game.

Things are improving slowly but surely

I said that tonight. They had about 17 corners (I know about 10 of them was in one go) but last season they score at least 2, maybe 3, goals from that.

21 minutes ago, Junior Soprano said:

Alves and Doran’s were excellent. Still think our left hand side is far far too weak. Windass is utter pish. Need to rectify this in January 

I agree we need to get the left side sorted and if Wallace is not too far away then WWTC below has an option I think could work, but probably need a new player in Jan to really sort it out. 

10 minutes ago, WWTC said:

I'm not Wallace's biggest fan, but I think him and John could be a decent partnership down the left, similar to Tav and Candieas on the right. 

I think John in front of a good full back would be a much better option then Windass, if Wallace could come back and get his form back then that would be good.  

6 minutes ago, jintybear said:

I said that tonight. They had about 17 corners (I know about 10 of them was in one go) but last season they score at least 2, maybe 3, goals from that.

Gave me a sense of pride they threw every at us during that period and we still didn't buckle. Small steps but its a start

12 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

He links up pretty well with Morelos. He did have very good touches which people tend to ignore..yes he had some poor touches, but so did most of our players. Players sometimes dont see him in great positions during the game and pick the easy pass in stead... His touch and general play has been improving for every game. He will keep improving and if he can keep scoring goals in the process then great. I just feel that he gets singled out more than any player in the team bar Windass.

To be honest my last post was a bit tongue in cheek but I do agree he's improving. I just don't think he is that tricky creative number 10 that people want him to be. 

If he improves the basic stuff then he'll be a real asset as he has that knack of being in the right place which is natural. I don't think he has the ability to play deep facing forward but I also don't think he suits having his back to goal. 

In the box he comes alive. If we improve the left side and get better crosses into the box he'd be even more effective. I think in most games he's going to be a key player but my feeling is he may feel like a man down in games where we don't have a lot of the ball and aren't getting crosses into the box as he doesn't have the pace or control to be making quick passes etc to get into the game. For example games like recent one against the scum.

I think he's naturally gifted and instinctive around and in the box and if we play to those strengths he'll be a success.

1 minute ago, A.T.G said:

Pena was excellent and shite at the same time. Probably his best game overall. 

We have a real chance to apply pressure now. I just wish I had the confidence in the team to carry it on.

He is improving all the time. He still hasnt had a lot of game time but as he is getting more he is improving. We will see more of excellent rather than shite in the near future in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

I agree we need to get the left side sorted and if Wallace is not too far away then WWTC below has an option I think could work, but probably need a new player in Jan to really sort it out. 

I think John in front of a good full back would be a much better option then Windass, if Wallace could come back and get his form back then that would be good.  

I think Tav is much improved this season and as someone pointed out previously, he benefits from someone who works his arse off infront of him. Theyve formed a decent partnership, and i think Wallace/John could be similar. We're actually not far off having a decent team. 

4 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

He is improving all the time. He still hasnt had a lot of game time but as he is getting more he is improving. We will see more of excellent rather than shite in the near future in my opinion.

I certainly hope so. I don’t think he got enough credit for his 2nd goal. That’s a great header.

Just now, WWTC said:

Butchers assessment of that incident was fuckin ridiculous. 

Im glad I have Rangers TV. By the sounds of things Butcher was being a right dick. He must have been desperate for the job as it is obviously a job requirement to be a dick on all things Rangers.

Just now, johanhentze said:

I thought so too... smashed it. You see those go over the bar all the time.

He looked like he didn’t put much effort in either, just knew exactly where it was going. Fucking hope he comes good, the players and manager are obviously seeing something we don’t in training because they all compliment him. Mon the fucking Pena

1 minute ago, WWTC said:

I think Tav is much improved this season and as someone pointed out previously, he benefits from someone who works his arse off infront of him. Theyve formed a decent partnership, and i think Wallace/John could be similar. We're actually not far off having a decent team. 

Yes I like Tav going forward, just a little worried about his defending, but two great crosses tonight.

I think John has the ability to play in front of a full back and as I said above if Wallace can get fit and get back his form it could certainly work IMO.  :thumbup:

Just now, A.T.G said:

He looked like he didn’t put much effort in either, just knew exactly where it was going. Fucking hope he comes good, the players and manager are obviously seeing something we don’t in training because they all compliment him. Mon the fucking Pena

Confidence has obviously been a factor. There might be other things behind the scenes... we have to remember that he has come all the way from Mexico and has to adjust to a number of things. It aint easy... I speak from personal experience and it certainly isnt easy when you have the weight of expectation to perform at a high level as well. All these things come in to play and we have to remember that. Hopefully these goals will really make him kick on.

2 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Aye shite touch for that goal  FFS:confused:

I can't make my mind up about him.

he might be one of these players who just look shite on the ball. But stats don't lie and fair play to him. He got two important goals for the team.

7 minutes ago, gersandy said:

I can't make my mind up about him.

he might be one of these players who just look shite on the ball. But stats don't lie and fair play to him. He got two important goals for the team.

If you play for a team like Rangers in a forward position with our possession you score.  The question is...do you score enough considering the service you are given?  Pena looks like someone that will mess up most chances he gets.

6 minutes ago, jamess said:

If you play for a team like Rangers in a forward position with our possession you score.  The question is...do you score enough considering the service you are given?  Pena looks like someone that will mess up most chances he gets.

He's scored 4 in 5 appearances none of which have been a full 90 :lol: