Ex-manager talks about Sadiq

From The Daily Retard:-

Why Rangers fans watching Umar Sadiq had better strap themselves in for a roller-coaster ride

Sadiq is in line for his Rangers debut and Stijn Vreven says the "crazy" giant is set to leave fans excited and exasperated.

22:30, 23 JUL 2018

Updated22:35, 23 JUL 2018

Rangers fans have been told to strap themselves in and prepare for a roller-coaster ride when Steven Gerrardunleashes “crazy” Umar Sadiq.

The message from the Nigerian striker’s former boss Stijn Vreven is to expect the unexpected with the on-loan Roma frontman in line for a debut against NK Osijek on Thursday night.

Rangers boss Gerrard warned his attackers to sharpen up after the stalemate against Macedonians FK Shkupi in the second leg of their 2-0 aggregate win in their last Europa League qualifier.

Now the Light Blues are facing a step up in opposition when they fly out to Croatia tomorrow but Gerrard’s options up front are still limited.

Lassana Coulibaly and Umar Sadiq are in line for debuts (Image: SNS)

The Ibrox gaffer admitted 21-year-old Sadiq, included in the revised squad submitted to UEFA along with fellow loanee Lassana Coulibaly, is short of fitness.

But with Alfredo Morelos misfiring and seemingly low in confidence he could be forced to throw Sadiq in, at the very least from the substitutes bench.

Belgian boss Vreven insists Sadiq is the perfect player to bring on after he made an immediate impact when he scored for his NAC Breda side after coming on for his Eredivisie debut against Heracles last season.

Vreven is now in charge of Belgian second tier outfit Beerschot Wilrijk after former Motherwell defender Mitchell van der Gaag replaced him at NAC Breda.

The former international full back admitted it was a lively four months working with Sadiq in Holland and is excited to see how he performs at the Light Blues.

Vreven described him as an individual on and off the park who needs to train harder but admitted the frustration was that he could produce moments of magic that belied his work rate.

He said: “There were times with Umar that I would watch him and think ‘This is unbelievably bad’ and then 10 seconds later he would produce a world class moment.

“That for me sums up Umar Sadiq. He would go from magic to nothing and then magic again. Rangers fans can be sure life won’t be dull with him in the team.

“His style is strange but in a good way. He has fantastic, crazy moments but he can score goals and was really important for our team.

“It’s really difficult to play with him but that’s why it’s also difficult to play against him. He is an instinctive player and you don’t know what he’s going to do next.

“Rangers supporters should expect the unexpected. If I had one piece of advice for Steven Gerrard then it would be to close his eyes sometimes when Umar Sadiq and hope that he produces a moment of magic.

I’ve never seen a player like him - he is one of a kind. The problem is that he plays as an individual and doesn’t think so much about the team or tactics. He is a little bit opportunistic.

“Life was never smooth with Umar. For example, when we were eating together as a team he would forget and we’d find him sitting in the dressing room or he’d arrive late.

“It was just little things that he didn’t seem to be used to. Team meetings and things like that. It got better after a while but he was sloppy in the beginning.

“Umar is young and we had our problems and I had to keep saying to him that small things can make a big difference and when he sorts that out he can me a consistently magic player.

“I don’t want to say he lacks discipline. He just had a laid back attitude and is also a young guy but he has to learn to think as a professional footballer on and off the pitch.

Umar can improve his fitness 60 per cent in my opinion and when he trains harder he will become a much better player than he is now.

“I told him his approach to training was too soft and that he had to change that because he thought he would be fresher on matchday if he kept his energy but it doesn’t work like that.”

Vreven, 45, admitted he constantly tried to drill the message home to Sadiq after being impressed by his skills when watching videos of him in action at Roma.

He said: “It wasn’t easy for him because he joined NAC Breda during the season and he was a young guy with the pressure that comes with being a striker.

“But he coped well and scored goals either when he started or came off the bench. He is a really good impact player because he will give the game a boost of energy with his running and he scored a lot of times for us off the bench.

“He is a player who prefers to run without the ball than with it and you don’t see that often. It’s more dangerous when a player runs without the ball.

“He was a striker who ran without the ball and that struck me. I don’t know any strikers who run 80 per cent without the ball and it’s fantastic for the team.

“Umar is only a number nine because you only give him one or two tactical instructions and that’s enough for him. If you give him five or six instructions then his head is full and it’s too much.

“He can play in a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3 but if he is the main striker then he will produce his best. I wish him the best of luck at Rangers and I’m really interested to see how he progresses under Steven Gerrard.”

7 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

So basically a thick cunt who can have flashes of brilliance......

Sounds like the consistent goal scorer we've been after as our no9........

That’s him been called unique or ‘strange’ a few times now. I’m actually quite looking forward to seeing him.

Hopefully Osijek won’t know what hit them. ?

Can sometimes score wonderful goals but his head is not always in the correct place!? Sounds like a striker we already have.

TBH, from the clips I have watched of him, he looks really uncomfortable on the ball for a pro but you don't end up at Roma without having something behind you.  

He's not a loan signing I got excited about but I do wonder how him and Alfredo could possibly work together, unfortunately, that idea seems to be off the table, which I find strange.

1 hour ago, BlueThunder said:

Life was never smooth with Umar. For example, when we were eating together as a team he would forget and we’d find him sitting in the dressing room or he’d arrive late

Having watched his first press conference this doesn’t surprise me one bit and to be honest, I couldn’t give a flying fuck as long as he scores goals.

Some of that sounds quite concerning. Especially the stuff about him forgetting he's supposed to be eating with the team. Sounds like settling down in a country like Scotland might be tough for the guy. Hopefully the squad looks after him and we see his magic on the pitch.

From the clips I have seen of him, he looks like he's about to fall over every time he's running with the ball lol

4 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

From The Daily Retard:-

Why Rangers fans watching Umar Sadiq had better strap themselves in for a roller-coaster ride

Sadiq is in line for his Rangers debut and Stijn Vreven says the "crazy" giant is set to leave fans excited and exasperated.

22:30, 23 JUL 2018

Updated22:35, 23 JUL 2018

Rangers fans have been told to strap themselves in and prepare for a roller-coaster ride when Steven Gerrardunleashes “crazy” Umar Sadiq.

The message from the Nigerian striker’s former boss Stijn Vreven is to expect the unexpected with the on-loan Roma frontman in line for a debut against NK Osijek on Thursday night.

Rangers boss Gerrard warned his attackers to sharpen up after the stalemate against Macedonians FK Shkupi in the second leg of their 2-0 aggregate win in their last Europa League qualifier.

Now the Light Blues are facing a step up in opposition when they fly out to Croatia tomorrow but Gerrard’s options up front are still limited.

Lassana Coulibaly and Umar Sadiq are in line for debuts (Image: SNS)

The Ibrox gaffer admitted 21-year-old Sadiq, included in the revised squad submitted to UEFA along with fellow loanee Lassana Coulibaly, is short of fitness.

But with Alfredo Morelos misfiring and seemingly low in confidence he could be forced to throw Sadiq in, at the very least from the substitutes bench.

Belgian boss Vreven insists Sadiq is the perfect player to bring on after he made an immediate impact when he scored for his NAC Breda side after coming on for his Eredivisie debut against Heracles last season.

Vreven is now in charge of Belgian second tier outfit Beerschot Wilrijk after former Motherwell defender Mitchell van der Gaag replaced him at NAC Breda.

The former international full back admitted it was a lively four months working with Sadiq in Holland and is excited to see how he performs at the Light Blues.

Vreven described him as an individual on and off the park who needs to train harder but admitted the frustration was that he could produce moments of magic that belied his work rate.

He said: “There were times with Umar that I would watch him and think ‘This is unbelievably bad’ and then 10 seconds later he would produce a world class moment.

“That for me sums up Umar Sadiq. He would go from magic to nothing and then magic again. Rangers fans can be sure life won’t be dull with him in the team.

“His style is strange but in a good way. He has fantastic, crazy moments but he can score goals and was really important for our team.

“It’s really difficult to play with him but that’s why it’s also difficult to play against him. He is an instinctive player and you don’t know what he’s going to do next.

“Rangers supporters should expect the unexpected. If I had one piece of advice for Steven Gerrard then it would be to close his eyes sometimes when Umar Sadiq and hope that he produces a moment of magic.

I’ve never seen a player like him - he is one of a kind. The problem is that he plays as an individual and doesn’t think so much about the team or tactics. He is a little bit opportunistic.

“Life was never smooth with Umar. For example, when we were eating together as a team he would forget and we’d find him sitting in the dressing room or he’d arrive late.

“It was just little things that he didn’t seem to be used to. Team meetings and things like that. It got better after a while but he was sloppy in the beginning.

“Umar is young and we had our problems and I had to keep saying to him that small things can make a big difference and when he sorts that out he can me a consistently magic player.

“I don’t want to say he lacks discipline. He just had a laid back attitude and is also a young guy but he has to learn to think as a professional footballer on and off the pitch.

Umar can improve his fitness 60 per cent in my opinion and when he trains harder he will become a much better player than he is now.

“I told him his approach to training was too soft and that he had to change that because he thought he would be fresher on matchday if he kept his energy but it doesn’t work like that.”

Vreven, 45, admitted he constantly tried to drill the message home to Sadiq after being impressed by his skills when watching videos of him in action at Roma.

He said: “It wasn’t easy for him because he joined NAC Breda during the season and he was a young guy with the pressure that comes with being a striker.

“But he coped well and scored goals either when he started or came off the bench. He is a really good impact player because he will give the game a boost of energy with his running and he scored a lot of times for us off the bench.

“He is a player who prefers to run without the ball than with it and you don’t see that often. It’s more dangerous when a player runs without the ball.

“He was a striker who ran without the ball and that struck me. I don’t know any strikers who run 80 per cent without the ball and it’s fantastic for the team.

“Umar is only a number nine because you only give him one or two tactical instructions and that’s enough for him. If you give him five or six instructions then his head is full and it’s too much.

“He can play in a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3 but if he is the main striker then he will produce his best. I wish him the best of luck at Rangers and I’m really interested to see how he progresses under Steven Gerrard.”

Actual quoted text starts at paragraph 14.

I just can’t see him doing well up here he’s a very weird player to watch from what I’ve seen and everyone who’s worked with him seem to make out he’s an idiot who can produce the odd good moment lol.

Still reminds me of Morelos/Lafferty mix.