The Red Card

20 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Yeah but this is becoming too much of a regular occurrence, where we dominate games and lose points due to red cards which were wrongly awarded.  It has to be either a) incompetence or b) corrupt officials, either case it needs to be highlighted and investigated.   Ref sees the incident or we have VAR then there is no red.  

The only thing VAR might have changed was booking McKenna. 

2 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Linesman would have still drawn the refs attention to the Morelos incident, if he sees it on var then IMO he does not give a red card

You know something, some assts would have ignored it, or deemed it yellow. Today it was red, it was soft but more than anything Morelos needs to keep a lid on it. He started so well today and was looking dangerous and sharp but he has sailed close to the wind on several occasions now. And he's banned for the next 2 league games! 

1 hour ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

Unlike our former illustrious former players, our guys, throughout this week have been drilled into keeping 11 players on the park.

Today would have been a huge marker, easily stuffing them there. 

In the perfect world, he would have stayed on the park.  However, the boy was fighting his corner and intent on not being pushed around, as he does every week, and made a mistake which the linesman decided to make an issue of.  Ninety nine times out of one hundred what he did would not have resulted in a sending off, if it did there would be sendings off in every match.  Case in point, Windass did the exact same a bit later on in the match and nothing was said.

Morelos is young and will hopefully learn from it.  He did let us down today with his indiscipline but it is not as if guys like Souness, Hateley, McCann, Davie Cooper, etc didn’t do the same in arguably more important matches, so there is no need to completely go over the top about it happening with a young player.

He kicked out and gave the ref a decision to make.

It was harsh, but Morelos brought that on himself, regardless of what McKenna did.

Morelos needs to cut petulance out of his game. He gets involved too easily and it was only a matter of time before his petty little spats earned him a red card, harsh or otherwise.

I think we are wasting our time appealling. 

Sorry but Morelos gave the linesman/referee the opportunity to give him a red by kicking out. Completely brain dead considering we were on the attack and he should be focusing on getting himself in the box.

He's a petulant wee mumpy faced child who is nowhere near good enough. 

This stuff about a kick out being a red card is nonsense,if it's deemed to be violent conduct then it's a red and that's why he might get it rescinded because the SPFL know that setting this kind of harsh precedent on day one of the season will be impossible to maintain.

6 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

You know something, some assts would have ignored it, or deemed it yellow. Today it was red, it was soft but more than anything Morelos needs to keep a lid on it. He started so well today and was looking dangerous and sharp but he has sailed close to the wind on several occasions now. And he's banned for the next 2 league games! 

I think we will win the appeal, but yes he needs to learn not to do that OR be like Willie Johnston, 'retaliate FIRST'.   ?

4 minutes ago, Amac9 said:

Sorry but Morelos gave the linesman/referee the opportunity to give him a red by kicking out. Completely brain dead considering we were on the attack and he should be focusing on getting himself in the box.

Hard to be focused on getting into the box when you're being barged off the ball.

1 minute ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

This stuff about a kick out being a red card is nonsense,if it's deemed to be violent conduct then it's a red and that's why he might get it rescinded because the SPFL know that setting this kind of harsh precedent on day one of the season will be impossible to maintain.

Here are the only circumstances where a red card can be given:

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:

• serious foul play

violent conduct  BLOODY HARSH IN THE EXTREME and none of the other categories fit. 

• spitting at an opponent or any other person

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

• denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

• receiving a second caution in the same match A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area

Never a red card in a million years! Seriously how can Clancy send him off when he's no even seen it? And the linesman surely has a good view to see the barge on morelos before he has a minimal flick out. It's nothing at all. A word for both parties would have be suffice and the game would not have been ruined imo. Fucking sick of these cheating scum taking points or a chance of full points off us at every opportunity. Time to call them out at every opportunity and make it as awkward as possible for the refs when they take on one of our games.

for what it's worth...i think we will win an appeal.

regarding Ball's penalty, the only thing in his defence (not to be sent off) was that there were 3 red shirts and the goalie between Windass and the goal. That, in my opinion, is not a clear and obvious goal-scoring opportunity.....so not a red.

But defo a yellow for the foul

1 minute ago, lewisrfc93 said:

Never a red card in a million years! Seriously how can Clancy send him off when he's no even seen it? And the linesman surely has a good view to see the barge on morelos before he has a minimal flick out. It's nothing at all. A word for both parties would have be suffice and the game would not have been ruined imo. Fucking sick of these cheating scum taking points or a chance of full points off us at every opportunity. Time to call them out at every opportunity and make it as awkward as possible for the refs when they take on one of our games.

The ref is not on his own on the park.  The assistants can, and do, make decisions regarding fouls etc....so I dont blame the ref.......

It was NEVER a red card ... but if the lino is saying.....RED CARD...VIOLENT CONDUCT....then the ref should give it. thats football today (and i was a ref)

5 minutes ago, ianb1547 said:

for what it's worth...i think we will win an appeal.

regarding Ball's penalty, the only thing in his defence (not to be sent off) was that there were 3 red shirts and the goalie between Windass and the goal. That, in my opinion, is not a clear and obvious goal-scoring opportunity.....so not a red.

But defo a yellow for the foul

When Windass is fouled the Aberdeen players are nowhere near between him and the goal,I think there's a still picture on one of the threads to prove it.

I think the thing that pisses everyone off is the lack of parity. Someone posted a link to the Record article after that prick from Falkirk punched Bates in the balls right in front of Thomson, who then gave him a yellow. Why is a punch in the nuts less deserving of a red than a petulant lashing out?

Why is Goldson’s verbals at a guy lying on the ground more deserving of a yellow than May going right through the back of Jack? I can’t remember but did we get a free kick for May’s efforts at hurting Jack? If so, then surely a foul like that deserves a yellow?

All that aside we should’ve been able to hold out for the win but these are still points worth mentioning.

3 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Yep, i think McKenna should have been booked for his part. However, Morelos is going to get provoked regularly and he's going to have to keep a cool head. He has to channel that fire in his belly - having that fire can be a good thing if you can control it 

I agree that Morelos has to keep his cool but I think a bigger issue is he doesn't get any protection from officials yet the second he reacts the cards come out against him. Today was another example of this.

Think it's time for the club to come out fighting and appeal his red card as well publicly highlighting the double standards being set by officials. 

1 hour ago, Amac9 said:

hear hear  ok the ref was poor in this instance it was the linesman who got him sent off not the ref  but you cannot give refs the chance by kicking out my biggest complaint is their guy should be off at the pen for stopping a goal scoring opportunity  even andy walker said that

We'll never get a fair crack of the whip and Stevie G has worked that out straight away. We're Rangers and we'll do it our way and all these fuckers hate it. If this was this time last year we would have been gubbed today but now we have a backbone with some fight and aggression . Onward and upwards fuck the haters 

As I said earlier if Kipre can get his kick out last season down from a red to a yellow we can get this one down too. The precedent was set last season for it by them saying Kipre didn't use enough "excessive force" to justify it being a straight red. Neither did Morelos. Kipre wasn't even provoked in his situation.