Flanagan

jbm26896

1 minute ago, TMB said:

Flanagan offers nothing in the final third at all and against Hibs we'll dominate possession and look to stretch them at the back.  We don't need Flanagan for that game.  I expect Barisic will play against Hibs, and Flanagan brought back in for the return leg against FC Midtjylland.  

Yes I agree with you in this regards to Sunday but tonight was an away European tie that suited  Flanagan. I expect Borna to play on Sunday. Gerrard always said he wanted two adequate players for every position and slowly but surely he is getting his wish. Flanagan was my unsung hero tonight.

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

If Barisic offered nothing why the fuck would Steven Gerrard be playing him?  It's nonsense.  

Tonights game was more open so there was space for Jones to run in to.  Against SPFL opposition (like Kilmarnock) who sit back and form 'a block' that wont be the case and more offensive wingbacks are needed to stretch the opposition. Barisic creates goal scoring opportunities from his crossing and set-piece deliveries although I know many on here will never accept that.  I fully expect Barisic to start against Hibs at the weekend.

It’s a question I’ve asked since the end of last September to be honest , Gerrard was starting to lose the rag , the well documented interview having a dig at him faking injury , then the meeting telling him he needs to be mentally stronger , he’s had the pre season all the bears craved to “watch him go” still brutal , I honestly believe he’s the kind of lad that breathes a sigh of relief when he’s not picked , Just doesn’t have the heart for it , passed the buck with a 2 yard inside ball must been over 30 times on Sunday , no majors defensively but no way could we play him against them the end of August etc , hope to fuck Gerrard doesn’t even consider it 

3 hours ago, TMB said:

This was on Sunday against Kilmarnock:

gif.thumb.gif.0dde63ebe9418241460bcb8e6d30e851.gif

Then there's the cross he put in for Jack's goal against St.Joseph's.

These were good, but Barisic is still poorer than your average defender to be honest, which is a shame as he initially looked promising when he first came to us. 

Gerrard will play Flanagan in the qualifiers and certain games and BB in some but I see halliday starting against them. Call me out on this at the end of the month by all means for what it's worth. At the end of the day it's a message board and we all have opinions 😋

5 hours ago, Fergie_6 said:

Was a good call to play him tonight, done good, loves a tackle and that attitude was needed esp 2nd half when things were getting heated, roataing the 3 for left back depending on opposition is a good option for Gerrard.

Its not a good option for the left mid and the left centre half though, they need to build an understanding with the left back and constantly changing between 3 of them doesnt help, 

Definitely more so with the left centre half, the defence should be a settled back 4 every week until injury or suspension, get them knowing each others game inside out, who covers, who'll win headers, tackles etc

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Its not a good option for the left mid and the left centre half though, they need to build an understanding with the left back and constantly changing between 3 of them doesnt help, 

Definitely more so with the left centre half, the defence should be a settled back 4 every week until injury or suspension, get them knowing each others game inside out, who covers, who'll win headers, tackles etc

Aye but horses for courses as Gerrard see's it, I would love to see a first choice back four no matter who we face but that is not happening. FFS I remember going nuts looking at the team sheets in big euro games or of under Walter and wondering why he was picking the now Aberdeen manager.....

6 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

It wont be the same 11 through the season, the left mid and centre half will change, its no saturday morning football we are playing , am sure they discuss this in training, we have roughly two players per position, and others who can play more positions when needed like fla and halliday, of course you need to play your players depending on the other teams strength/weakness, fla was the right call last night and borna will be the right call on sunday, the other 3 defenders will stay the same, can see davis coming in for kamara they 2 will be only changes imo.

He done a job tbh, but as i said in another thread, to some, his actual ability get's overlooked because he likes a tackle imo.

His positional sense is brutal, he's got no pace and he looks awkward on the ball, partly because he's right footed and playing on the left but mostly down to the fact he isn't a good footballer.

None of our left backs are good enough and it's an area that teams will exploit this season.

8 hours ago, TMB said:

We were up against a more physical team tonight and so Flanagan got the nod.  Against Hibs, and most SPFL teams that sit in, Barisic will be used as he contributes more going forward.  The manager is using his squad effectively.  

Horses for courses. 

I think the reason he played tonight was not because he doesn't trust Barisic but because of the opposition. Look at their team and tell me how many of their players fit the description "fucking unit"! We needed someone who could help at corners and who could crunch into tackles...IMO that's why he played. Borna will probably be back for the weekend.

10 hours ago, jbm26896 said:

I thought he was excellent tonight , deserves great praise for his first competitive game of the season. 

Given the praise he received post game from SG, he may well have staked his claim for the shirt. I believe having a regular back 4 woul go some way to eradicating those defensive lapses.

17 minutes ago, MarzM said:

I think the reason he played tonight was not because he doesn't trust Barisic but because of the opposition. Look at their team and tell me how many of their players fit the description "fucking unit"! We needed someone who could help at corners and who could crunch into tackles...IMO that's why he played. Borna will probably be back for the weekend.

Barasic would have been a nightmare last night..........

1 hour ago, MarzM said:

A left back that can’t cope with all of the above should be sold 

I noticed an interesting and smart wee move Flanagan was doing under high balls last night.

Not being the tallest of guys, when the aerial stuff was coming in he was checking Katic was there and then putting wee blocks or nudges in on FCM players coming in as second or third challengers to Katic, so that Katic was always 1 on 1. It was really, really effective but never enough to get himself done for fouls.