Gerrard bottled it

KeyserSoze

I know I'm old fashioned, but we're never a 1 striker team.....especially not at Ibrox. Against ANYONE!

Successive managers have tried every combination in the book to make us that kind of team, it hasn't worked. We need two strikers....whether it's 4-4-2 or as a 4-3-3, we need 2 players capable of hitting the net. 

Just now, King Jela said:

Changed a winning team, played players out of position, starred players short of match practice and unsettled our best player who was probably the most confident man at Ibrox today. 

Ring any bells? January? Killie away? Has he just ignored past failures? Well done Steven, once again you’ve completely fucked our momentum. 

Nailed it and I dont see him learning from any of it..........

That today concerns me. To even think that setup was acceptable and could win the game beggars belief. A midfield with great ball players but zero goals in them. To counter that you need a front 3 who you allow to just run riot at teams. Gerrard plays arfield who isnt a winger or an inside forward no matter how often he plays there. Then today decided aribo on the other side. Its fucking criminal. Can you imagine that lot starting with ntcham as a winger..we'd piss ourself laughing. Fucking disgusted.

9 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Nailed it and I dont see him learning from any of it..........

Na, I don’t either tbh. He’s clearly got something about him in Europe but the league is the bread and butter and if he doesn’t win it this season because of fuck-ups like this then he can go for all I care. 

19 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

People really sticking the boots into Ojo, Aribo & Arfield today. Who should have played instead - Docherty? Stewart? The team were simply exhausted from an emotional win against Legia. 

And Jones has gone from the whipping boy to Ronaldo in a matter of weeks. He is a 6 out of 10 player.

Tbf Ojo isn’t really cutting it for me. He’s getting worse everytime I see him. I don’t get the hype. 

Jones’s run down the wing running it out at the byline was actually comical 

Just now, Parlaneloyal said:

It looked to me that Gerrards plan was to contain them and then bring Alfie on to score the winner late on.

Rangers should never have that mentality at Ibrox

The way the team have been playing we should fear no one at Ibrox , ridiculous tactics from the manager. Thursday was no better , for 80 plus minutes we played negative defensive crap against piss poor opposition.......

Don't think he bottled it, but trying to be too smart for his own good.

Yellow fang isn't smart, so no need to try and outsmart him. He has one way. The direct approach, take no prisoners and cheat like fuck. No hard to fuck him.

The weakness with the scum has been their defence for many seasons now, as we and others have proven, so we set up defensively with no width.

He has now managed to make yellow fang look intelligent. That is a difficult thing to do.

Lesson learned hopefully. 

35 minutes ago, GazzasOrangeFlute said:

i agree with everything you Posted but the better team won on the day.

We where shocking. they won the battle we will win the war

We really won't, well not this season anyway. No way are they dropping more points than us over the course of the season 

18 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Changed a winning team, played players out of position, starting players short of match practice and unsettled our best player who was probably the most confident man at Ibrox today. 

Ring any bells? January? Killie away? Has he just ignored past failures? Well done Steven, once again you’ve completely fucked our momentum

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Why must be the obvious question. 

He mentioned using fresher players but a few of those played 90 mins in Thursday night so why no Morelos??? 

Jones only played a 25-30 mins on Thursday, a lot less than Aribo 

3 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Yellow fang isn't smart, so no need to try and outsmart him. He has one way. The direct approach, take no prisoners and cheat like fuck. No hard to fuck him.

The weakness with the scum has been their defence for many seasons now, as we and others have proven, so we set up defensively with no width.

He has now managed to make yellow fang look intelligent. That is a difficult thing to do.

Bottled it may be the wrong word but he was definitely scared of them for whatever reason today and I think that explains the team selection 

5 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

So fucking angry 

why change our team from a winning formula ffs

Not set up to attack the fullbacks 

played a defensive formation 

at home, Ibrox ffs

that lot are shite and were there for the taking. That’s on Gerrard btw. 

The usual ‘I hold my hands up but the players and officials were shite’ approach to  post defeat has worn thin.

The gaffer must understand he was absolutely at fault. CRIMINAL not to start Alfie.

He has been backed. The scum aren’t all they think they are. If we don’t win the league he’s got to go. If he can’t understand that he’s well out his fucking depth.

1 minute ago, Blue Avenger said:

To set up defensively against any Lennon team is a mistake.  Lennon plays all out attack with very direct, literally shoot on sight, instructions.  This has always been the case.  You need to go at them, sit high up the pitch, and pressure the defense which is their weak point.  Sitting back and letting them run over the top of you is just playing to their strengths.  I’m pretty shocked Gerrard put out a 4-5-1 at Ibrox.  celtic showed some balls and took the game to us and it paid off.

35 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Changed a winning team, played players out of position, starting players short of match practice and unsettled our best player who was probably the most confident man at Ibrox today. 

Ring any bells? January? Killie away? Has he just ignored past failures? Well done Steven, once again you’ve completely fucked our momentum. 

This is what rookie mangers do. Partly because they don't know any better, but mainly because they want to be hailed as a genuise if it works. Today it didn't

5 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

So fucking angry 

why change our team from a winning formula ffs

Not set up to attack the fullbacks 

played a defensive formation 

at home, Ibrox ffs

that lot are shite and were there for the taking. That’s on Gerrard btw. 

no Width  - 5 midfielders falling over each other -- neither Defoe nor Morelos can score when you cannot get the ball to them off the flanks 

played into their hands and paid the price 

He was happy to take a draw with that team selection. Shouldn’t need to wait until HT to see it wasn’t working.

Davis and Flanagan played well, rest were not up for it. Too many individual errors and predictable moves. Hardly laid a glove on their goal especially since Foster looked very rusty.

5 hours ago, tm91 said:
  • We changed a winning formation in the biggest game of our season so far to play an unfamiliar formation the players were clearly uncomfortable with. 
  • Not having a genuine winger meant we didn't have width or an outball when they chose to pressure us high up the pitch. This is probably the big one. We couldn't stretch them or get the ball up the pitch in any other way than booting it up.
  • We set up with five midfielders seemingly to try and nullify Christie and Forrest, with Kamara and Flanagan doubling up on the latter and the former chased down by the other three. Instead of being confident, we chose to be fearful of them. You could literally see them suss this out at about the 20-25 minute mark and begin to grow more confident themselves. Wrong mentality.
  • Booting the ball up to a 5'7 Defoe and hoping for second-balls off him when their defender is 6'5. Alternatively, dropping Morelos for Defoe and then playing in a way that Defoe is completely ill-suited for.
  • Putting Ojo on when he was clearly fucked from Thursday and apparently has bruising instead of Jones.
  • Shoehorning Aribo in when he is clearly exhausted and has been off it the past few games.

Any more? 

Good assessment.

And if that’s how we’re going to look after every moderately testing Thursday night, it’s going to be a long slog until Christmas.

5 hours ago, tm91 said:
  • We changed a winning formation in the biggest game of our season so far to play an unfamiliar formation the players were clearly uncomfortable with. 
  • Not having a genuine winger meant we didn't have width or an outball when they chose to pressure us high up the pitch. This is probably the big one. We couldn't stretch them or get the ball up the pitch in any other way than booting it up.
  • We set up with five midfielders seemingly to try and nullify Christie and Forrest, with Kamara and Flanagan doubling up on the latter and the former chased down by the other three. Instead of being confident, we chose to be fearful of them. You could literally see them suss this out at about the 20-25 minute mark and begin to grow more confident themselves. Wrong mentality.
  • Booting the ball up to a 5'7 Defoe and hoping for second-balls off him when their defender is 6'5. Alternatively, dropping Morelos for Defoe and then playing in a way that Defoe is completely ill-suited for.
  • Putting Ojo on when he was clearly fucked from Thursday and apparently has bruising instead of Jones.
  • Shoehorning Aribo in when he is clearly exhausted and has been off it the past few games.

Any more? 

Couldn't agree more but also seemed to me that Tav had been told to forget his normal game plan and stay back at all costs. We beat them last year by playing on the front foot, pressing and harrassing at every opportunity. today, we waited for them to get comfortable and let them control the tempo.

26 minutes ago, RoboBear said:

This is what rookie mangers do. Partly because they don't know any better, but mainly because they want to be hailed as a genuise if it works. Today it didn't

It’s literally the first time he’s set us up like this.  It’s not a rookie mistake it’s just him having some sort of fucking brain freeze. 

I can’t for the life of me figure out why he picked today of all days to change a winning formula 

2 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

It’s literally the first time he’s set us up like this.  It’s not a rookie mistake it’s just him having some sort of fucking brain freeze. 

I can’t for the life of me figure out why he picked today of all days to change a winning formula 

Two shite full backs who have never played in an OF game and we played with no wingers. Made no sense.

1 hour ago, King Jela said:

Spot on.