Club 1872 Statement

Not sure this is a good idea. Our fans are pretty much divided, that’s just going by reading stuff on here and FF. I’m not going to pretend to know anything about anything or know who people are that are involved. Didn’t one guy recently resign from C1872 because of the direction they were heading in or because of certain people on the C1872 board? 

2 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

The external funding from investors was supposed to stop this summer but they’ve committed for an additional year. This will be the last year of funding from them. The club will be self sustaining moving from the summer onwards 

Forgive my ignorance but what does that mean? How exactly will be self sustainable? As in an extra £500-1000 a year on top of buying season tickets and merchandise? 

5 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Forgive my ignorance but what does that mean? How exactly will be self sustainable? As in an extra £500-1000 a year on top of buying season tickets and merchandise? 

Without getting too technical we’ll likely run as close to break even as possible & any shortfall will be supplemented by player sales. 

Likewise, player sales will then fund new players. 

this years shortfall was supposed to be funded by the sale of Alfie but the investors decided to keep him and fund one more year

Champions League football is the game changer. 

8 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Without getting too technical we’ll likely run as close to break even as possible & any shortfall will be supplemented by player sales. 

Likewise, player sales will then fund new players. 

this years shortfall was supposed to be funded by the sale of Alfie but the investors decided to keep him and fund one more year

Better hope we get it then, or it'll be a bit of a firesale, no? 

I understand the investors are continuing to do so into next season but if no CL then I'd imagine there would be a few sales and a period of downgrading? 

Not that I'm complaining if that is the process. Needs must and all that but sounds like CL is a must. 

46 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

I agree with the point of governance etc and it’s over to them to step up to the plate if they want people to stump up that level of cash. 

But wrong end of the stick with Dingwall here. The statement went to all the press earlier this afternoon with a 6pm embargo. He wasn’t given it directly, can only speculate who did, and he broke the embargo throwing some plans into disarray. 

For a guy who has spent the best part of his live promoting fan ownership he seems firmly against this & his actions tonight leave a lot to be desired. 

I can only speculate as to why.

Deliberately breaking an embargo is really poor form. He’ll be on the naughty step.

7 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Without getting too technical we’ll likely run as close to break even as possible & any shortfall will be supplemented by player sales. Likewise, player sales will then fund new players. 

Which is even more kudos to them TBH.

Mr King (Dave to me) deserves much credit for this gesture. Not fucking many would do this.

In principle I am against fan ownership for all the obvious reasons, but this gesture does not equate to that. It does give fans an inside track and a say in the decision making to make for improved governance and to be welcomed. 

However, one would like to think that worthy business savvy candidates would represent C1872 on the board and that's where the worry would be. Someone of the standing and integrity of @D'Artagnan would be ideal.

18 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Giving fans a say in the running of the business side of the club could be a fucking nightmare, fans think with their heart, we crave success, trophies, glamour games, being the best at every trophy we compete for

Some, and i mean a small minority, may well have a business head through whatever means, but most of us dont think that way, and a clubs biggest shareholder thinking with their heart instead of their head could lead to, lets just say, interesting debates at boardroom level when it comes to making the best decision for the club

The structure of this would need a lot of thought - DK is an entrepreneur of note, so he'll have his work cut out to make it work.

No idea what happens when sometime in the future the club needs money, what happens then.

Normally the benefactor stumps up. 

8 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

No idea what happens when sometime in the future the club needs money, what happens then.

This is what worries me. Take the Torbett's as an example. They got £25 million for that Paddy Robert's boyfriend and, probably, at that same time could have offloaded at least 2 or 3 more for somewhere between £10 - 15 million each on top of that for the 2 or 3, 18 months later and the valuations of their main assets have plummeted with merchandise soon to take a hit with fans boycotts and season tickets at least halfed if they don't get the tainted 10. Now obviously fan loyalty isn't a problem with us but if our main assets outwith the fans value plummets, then what? 

Is it a case of always striking while the iron is hot and always selling when we can regardless of the impact of the team? 

4 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

When all is going well everyone is happy. When it starts going pear shaped that's when the problems appear. 

Businessmen should be running the club to the max potential and supporter's should be behind that.

I don't know the least bit about what all this means but that statement sums up exactly what I think.

I may be naive and not so financially knowledgeable (and I have recently just completed a financial degree 🤣) but I wonder how would a fan lead ownership have coped in our current financial situation where, in my opinion, heroic board members have really stepped up to the plate. 

Very good of Dave to sell the shares so cheap and over a manageable period. I never doubted his loyalty to the club, although some of his practices whilst chairman were hard to swallow. In the end he has good for us. Don't think many would say otherwise.

A far cry from a few years ago where the lunatic fringe in the boardroom section spouted the theory that he was out to get the 20 million he invested in us previously back and a huge profit then do a runner. Safe to say they were deluded.

I'm not totally certain how Club 1872 will be able to attract the future investment we will need but at least we should be safe from some of the charlatans who have pillaged our club in he past. 

32 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Better hope we get it then, or it'll be a bit of a firesale, no? 

I understand the investors are continuing to do so into next season but if no CL then I'd imagine there would be a few sales and a period of downgrading? 

Not that I'm complaining if that is the process. Needs must and all that but sounds like CL is a must. 

Not really. The model has to be selling one or two players every season, replacing them with two or three cheaper, younger players and repeat. 

celtic have received £100m in transfer fees since 2014, we have £6m. 

1 minute ago, eskbankloyal said:

Not really. The model has to be selling one or two players every season, replacing them with two or three cheaper, younger players and repeat. 

celtic have received £100m in transfer fees since 2014, we have £6m. 

It's a nice thought. One I'm behind if the lanscape is properly explained.

The scum had 6 free hits at Champions league while we were stuck in the dregs of Scottish football and then limping over the line for even a chance at European football. They were able to sell the likes of Hooper, Wanyama, Foster etc for big money mainly because they had CL experience behind them. How many were they able to sell for big money without that? 

It doesn't seem like too big a worry for the short term, the next 12-18 months, but could get pretty damaging in the long run if, say, they make the CL next year and we don't, for example.