Club 1872 Statement

If anyone else was bidding to be majority shareholder, while struggling to raise the cash to make it happen (never mind put cash into the club to buy players), we would be opposed. I can see why some like the idea, but successful clubs need wealthy owners. This will not end well. 

1 hour ago, GWR1979 said:

This is good news the fans aren't just stakeholders but majority shareholders. The fans will be responsible for Rangers for future generations and from the lows of the last 8 years this is really good news. 

I think it is terrible news and a danger to the future of the club. We will need a lot of investment in the short term which current shareholders have promised to provide. However, we will certainly need investment in the future which may need outside investors and no wealthy businessmen would consider putting money into a club with a large fans shareholding never mind one with a majority shareholding by supporters. Monthly subscriptions will be a drop in the ocean compared to what will be needed to drive the club forward.

58 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

Club 1872 are asking for 20,000 fans to sign up to this.   I don't know if that includes their existing membership.  To get £13 million each of the 20k fans would need to put in £650 over the 3 years.    That's a very optimistic request.

Which wont happen, sure the initial thing may have an uplift but I dont see it going forward. What happens then?

I've mellowed a lot on Club 1872 since it's initial first few years where the divisive characters and handwringers were everywhere, in your face, pontificating to your average fan etc when most of us had never seen them about anywhere in their lives before 2012.

I've actually taken to them the last couple of years. Their statements have been excellent, ego's put to the side and they are the first to defend the club. 

Which is all I really wanted in the first place.

My issue with it, as always, is that if I've got money for shares then I'll buy them for myself. I don't like folk acting on my behalf or speaking me for or in this case using my money to make a purchase and decide how my club is run (even if it's for a collective cause). 

I'd much rather the likes of Park was given the chance to buy the shares, since he actually has the capital and has a proven track record of putting in more cash when needed without question. 

What happens if we still have a big funding shortfall in a couple of years time and we need the major shareholders to rally round again? it gets to Club1872 and they do a press release and open up a go fund me for their share of it? 

8 hours ago, eskbankloyal said:

Not really. The model has to be selling one or two players every season, replacing them with two or three cheaper, younger players and repeat. 

celtic have received £100m in transfer fees since 2014, we have £6m. 

Thats not really a good example given how brutal their accounts are and their reliance on massive incomes outwith what they can generate normally

All it takes is a couple of purchases that dont work out and your in the hole, 

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Thats not really a good example given how brutal their accounts are and their reliance on massive incomes outwith what they can generate normally

All it takes is a couple of purchases that dont work out and your in the hole, 

Their accounts are anything but brutal.

7 hours ago, docspiderman said:

I think it is terrible news and a danger to the future of the club. We will need a lot of investment in the short term which current shareholders have promised to provide. However, we will certainly need investment in the future which may need outside investors and no wealthy businessmen would consider putting money into a club with a large fans shareholding never mind one with a majority shareholding by supporters. Monthly subscriptions will be a drop in the ocean compared to what will be needed to drive the club forward.

Would the fan group not be in a position to allow the correct outside investor to have whatever he/she may require to make such an investment in the future?

Football is facing it’s biggest challenges in years, with no guarantees about what the landscape will look like in 6, 12, 18 months, never mind 3 years. In both professional sport and everyday life.

Is this really the best time to be separating what is, essentially, a group of enthusiastic, but amateur investors from their cash?

4 hours ago, British_Empire said:

PM him Doonald and tell him your gonna rip his jaw off

You’re a fucking weirdo cunt.  And honestly you’re doing my tits in with your trolling patter. 

and yes I’m biting 

Fuck up and block me then you won’t dribble into your fish nets every time I post something.  

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

You’re a fucking weirdo cunt.  And honestly you’re doing my tits in with your trolling patter. 

and yes I’m biting 

Fuck up and block me then you won’t dribble into your fish nets every time I post something.  

@doonald  you taking that? 

Regardless of who should or shouldn’t be buying them...we’ll done to big Dave.

Not many expected him to willingly take a loss on the money he’s pumped into the club.

Just because Club1872 would be the majority shareholder presently doesn’t mean that couldn’t change if a zillionaire sugar daddy did indeed materialise.

9 hours ago, docspiderman said:

I share a lot of your concerns. 

This makes me a bit anxious - what governance is there to stop fuckwits taking the board positions of Club 1872 without needing put their hand in their pockets? 

The more power it has, the more attractive it will be to the type of people that would like to cosplay at football club owners without needing the money.  Feels like a corruptible environment, with the club being run by whoever has the ear of the right person.

And their 25% shareholding threshold is surely a liability when it comes to new share issues, as they may not want to dilute under 25%?  (given their pitch that having more than 25% will secure the club's future).

It feels like actual equity owners getting organised (as in, or a forum or whatever) could vote as a block and achieve much the same thing if they were offered the shares direct.