Domestic European Football

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

What does that mean for Messi? Assume him signing a new deal would technically make him a new signing as he's currently a free agent? 

Would be a continuation of his registration so wouldn't count as a new signing.

1 hour ago, wully said:

Our ex catalogue model amongst the goals

Screenshot_20210715-191834_LiveScore.jpg

Pretty sure he became the highest scoring foreign player in Icelandic football history recently. I realise people will scoff at that but I’d say that’s pretty admirable.

He had the choice to hang about in Scotland and linger about the usual lower league sides- maybe even nip down south at a low level for decent money - but he went to a new country,  for a new lifestyle and a completely different football experience. It’s paid off for him. Pretty sure he has a family out there with an Icelandic missus now. That’s a winner in itself.

What do people think of this Europa Conference League?

At first I was pretty skeptical but after looking at the format I think it's a pretty good idea for clubs outside the top 5 leagues.

It will still probably be a top 5 side that wins it but for a team from a smaller country to potentially reach the quarter finals or semin finals if the draw is kind could change a lot for a club in a smaller nation financially. The money is nowhere near CL levels but it's still a good chunk of money. If Aberdeen or Hibs for example were to reach the group stages they'd get somewhere around 4.5 million in prize money. I wont hold my breath though.

12 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Never going to happen.

Even if they got very lucky in the draw for Q3 with one of the limited sides they would be expected to defeat, in Q4 they are not going to beat any of the potential sides.

Aye they were only an example. Like I said, I wouldn't hold my breath:lol:

23 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

What do people think of this Europa Conference League?

At first I was pretty skeptical but after looking at the format I think it's a pretty good idea for clubs outside the top 5 leagues.

It will still probably be a top 5 side that wins it but for a team from a smaller country to potentially reach the quarter finals or semin finals if the draw is kind could change a lot for a club in a smaller nation financially. The money is nowhere near CL levels but it's still a good chunk of money. If Aberdeen or Hibs for example were to reach the group stages they'd get somewhere around 4.5 million in prize money. I wont hold my breath though.

I think we’ll win the Conference League one year. Only if we completely mess up CL and EL qualifying.

21 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Hibernian (SCO) / Santa Coloma (AND) vs Gżira United (MLT) / Rijeka (CRO)

Austria Wien (AUT) / Breidablik (ISL) vs Aberdeen (SCO) / BK Häcken (SWE)

Rijeka will be a good test for Hibs. They're always kicking about these stages in Europe.

Something about Hacken just has Scottish disaster in Europe written all over it nevermind Austria Vienna:lol: