Steven Gerrard named SFWA Manager of the Year

Bad Robot

A guy on the DR online saying he shouldn’t get the award for MOTY because it’s his first trophy in 3 years.  Some special logic right there matey.  And he added it’s Rangers first title in 10 years to help his case.  :lol:  

7 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

I know there’s the other thread with the contenders but our man has been crowned so thought he deserved his own thread plus please give the club site some hits:

https://www.Rangers.co.uk/article/steven-gerrard-named-sfwa-manager-of-the-year/eyDGjqmQUlNdYaMv1iUtm

He definitely deserves it over the full season.  Won the league and impressed in Europe, when everyone outside of us had written us off.

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

St Johnstone are 55 points behind us, but it’s pretty much a moot point because nobody ever expected them to be anywhere close to us to begin with.

You judge managers relative to what is expected of their club and what they actually achieve and both Gerrard and Davidson have achieved huge things this season.

Gerrard potentially taking us to an undefeated league campaign is an outstanding achievement and St Johnstone potentially becoming the first non Old Firm club in 35 years to win a domestic double is also an outstanding achievement.

Gerrard won the award, but Davidson would have been an equally deserving winner if he had won it.

That’s ok if you feel that winning cups and winning the league are equal. Not for me. League every time. It’s all about opinions. We haven’t lost at home in the league and are on the verge of being invincibles, but how did St Johnstone’s run in Europe go? 

11 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

That’s ok if you feel that winning cups and winning the league are equal. Not for me. League every time. It’s all about opinions. We haven’t lost at home in the league and are on the verge of being invincibles, but how did St Johnstone’s run in Europe go? 

I think it’s relative in comparison to what the club is expected to achieve before a ball is kicked.

Very few people would have tipped us for an undefeated leagues campaign, even fewer would have tipped St Johnstone to be in contention for a double.

Like I said, both are outstanding achievements.

Just now, DBBTB said:

St Johnstone weren’t in Europe this season, but using your logic that shouldn’t really be a factor either considering that the Europa League is a cup competition and cups aren’t equal to leagues in your mind.

I should’ve phrased it differently. Of course the Europa would’ve been incredible. I meant the FA cup and the league cup. We’ve done this on the back of a damn good Europa league run “again”. What Davidson and St.Johnstone have done this year doesn’t even come close to what we’ve done. No contest. SG is more than deserving of this. Do you think Rangers fans would’ve enjoyed no Europe run and and winning both cups and the award going to SG? Not me. Not a chance. 

6 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

I should’ve phrased it differently. Of course the Europa would’ve been incredible. I meant the FA cup and the league cup. We’ve done this on the back of a damn good Europa league run “again”. What Davidson and St.Johnstone have done this year doesn’t even come close to what we’ve done. No contest. SG is more than deserving of this. Do you think Rangers fans would’ve enjoyed no Europe run and and winning both cups and the award going to SG? Not me. Not a chance. 

I wouldn’t either, but we are Rangers supporters, not St Johnstone supporters.  We expect to win leagues and be in the business end of every competition we are in. They are happy to finish top six and go to Hampden once. 

However I do think that if we didn’t have an emotional investment to Gerrard and we had won fuck all and say celtic had had the season we had people on here would be in uproar if their manager got manager of the year over Davidson. 

It’s all by the by now because the award went to Gerrard and  he is a deserving winner, but my point all along has been that if Davidson had won I wouldn’t have had any complaints.