*****Official Dundee Hibs v The Champions Match Thread*****

BridgeIsBlue

Gerrard has a lot to do, he’s been lauded as a “God” for the relatively modest achievement of winning one Scottish League in three attempts, in a season with no fans and celtic in crisis.  Just my opinion but he and team have still to prove they can play under real pressure and he has to prove he can change games when they’re slipping away.

1 minute ago, RFC55 said:

He will be on the bench or starting and Defoe won't on Tuesday

But he came on against Malmö and looked lively. Gerrard needs to stop overthinking things and play the strongest available regardless. Their goal was the kind of thing McGregor would block 

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Easy to single out individuals, which people will always do, but the bigger problem is that collectively every player still looks miles off the pace required for competitive football. Far too slow on the ball, taking extra touches, slow to get back in position. That’s the concern as much as anything else.

Yip but the lack of investment in the midfield needs addressed.

We spent just over 2 Million on a 3rd/4th choice striker yet have spent circa 300k on midfielders.

Also the right wing position, it’s again a different player nearly every game.

2 minutes ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

When we are cruising games Barisic looks like a superstar, when we are up against it he is totally negative. Bassey has a bit of grit and determination about him, and impressed me in the games he played, even though it was pre-season. Shouldn't have been dropped. 

I'm a big Tav fan also, but his place shouldn't be guaranteed above Patterson, whom I rate highly. Tav is captain though so not so easy to drop. 

Bassey offers nothing going forward though and that’s the issue the way we set-up.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

Bassey offers nothing going forward though and that’s the issue the way we set-up.

Don't think he's great. Players wouldn't even play him in last week when he was open

Btw worst part of the day kamara opens his body and goes leftni think it was Kent had a tap in 

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

And who does he pass to, thats the point, tight pitches like that playing 3 sitting mids, he has kent, aribo and morelos as the only 3 playing in front of him, whereas united likely have 8 or 9 in front of him, 

That’s not an excuse. We know how teams set up against us. Up to us to break them down. Square passes look wonderful? Oh aye. 

Very slow build up from the back giving opposition time to get in defensive shape,what's the point buying fast forwards when the rest of the team are tippy tapping at the back.The games against Livi and Malmo were showing the win against Real Madrid was a fluke.

2 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I disagree, I think Bassey looks to beat a man more than Barisic tbh, his crossing isn't  up to the same standard though, but all I've seen Barisic do is try hit a cross ball "through" the opposition player recently as he can't skin them. 

4 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Aye cause we don't attack.

Honestly man there is criticism that can be thrown at us but that is ridiculous man 

You can’t deny that we are ponderous at best on the ball at times 

This was the case last season in some games as well but we always managed to find something 

5 minutes ago, Lovenkrands72 said:

His reaction after the Malmö game was fucking embarrassing that’s why 

Embarrassing how ?

we shipped 2 goals in a minute to a team that were 13 games into their season and still looked bang average.we were lethargic as fuck and couldn't string 2 passes together,until 15 seconds from full time were we got lucky with a deflection.

Same shite again today against a team that got their arses handed to them by the sheep shaggers,who'll be lucky to finish 3rd bottom.so how is he he wrong?

17 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Seems to be a school of thought that says Davis needs to keep playing, to keep his levels up.

Just where that crosses a line into overuse, I’m not sure.

Couldn’t argue in the 95th minute on Tuesday.

Today? Hmmm.

The problem is that at his age I don't think it's possible for him to play 2 games a week and still perform at his best.

I think we needed to have planned better and get some real quality in midfield so that we don't end up relying on Davis playing every game.  Lundstram was definitely not the answer.  It's still early days but I just don't see how he improves our team or even fits the system we play.