*****Official Dundee Hibs v The Champions Match Thread*****

BridgeIsBlue

1 minute ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Anyone else think Malmo and now Dundee United have looked a bit fitter than us?

Both had a sharpness to winning second balls and making blocks. Barisic, Kent and Tav kept checking back rather than taking their man on.

For me both defeats go back to how do we find ways to create clear chances against teams who are happy to flood their box with defenders. Both games reminiscent of when we struggled post the winter break the season before last. Have all the ball but don't get the break of it, struggle to create, teams defend for their lives then take their one or two only chances which for whatever reason we can't seem to do.

Talking to my mate about that during the game, don't think it's anything to do with fitness levels, it's more to do with the fact they want it more

After United scored there was a period of about 15 minutes where we hounded them down into mistake after mistake, if we didn't have the fitness that wouldn't have happened.

It's a case of does this squad have the fire to go and win another title, right now it seems most of them are still stuck in last season & winning that title was all that mattered.

8 minutes ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

I disagree, I think Bassey looks to beat a man more than Barisic tbh, his crossing isn't  up to the same standard though, but all I've seen Barisic do is try hit a cross ball "through" the opposition player recently as he can't skin them. 

That all Barisic can do is worth 15-20 assists a season.

Bassey can charge forward but his final ball is terrible.

2 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Both had a sharpness to winning second balls and making blocks. Barisic, Kent and Tav kept checking back rather than taking their man on.

For me both defeats go back to how do we find ways to create clear chances against teams who are happy to flood their box with defenders. Both games reminiscent of when we struggled post the winter break the season before last. Have all the ball but don't get the break of it, struggle to create, teams defend for their lives then take their one or two only chances which for whatever reason we can't seem to do.

I was saying the same thing to my mate earlier. Today it seemed like they were either fitter than us or had more desire.

1 minute ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

I Thought that's what Fashion had been signed for tbh. 

Even guys like him, united, especially after scoring, are happy to sit on their 18 yard box with their midfield 10 yards in front, dropping balls in behind them its brutal to get bang on

In games like this you need a hagi or arfield type, someone who plays in the space between their midfield and defence, shirt forward pass and all of a sudden we have a man that forces their defence to step out of shape and press, creating space in their backline, 

2 up front and a number ten in behind them was badly needed, especially when we conceded, united are always like this with uz, our last time here it was two set pieces that got us the win, we were awful in open play yet again 

Gerrard needs to tell our players that last season is history and that games like this need 100% battle commitment not like the half arsed shite we were coming up with today. Lackadaisical, sideways movement, sloppy passing, second best so much of the time.

I don’t know if there is also a complacency problem with some our players but we are going to face umpteen games like this this season so we better find a way of winning.

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Doesn't matter if we know how teams set up against us, if we set up playing 3 sitting mids and giving the ball to the fullbacks more often than not then even the best midfielder in the world would find it hard to pick a forward pass

Sideways passes are shite, but the likes of kamara, davis and even lundstrum only had that because they look up and see 3 united men to everyone of our guys, 

It’s up to us to break them down! Did I not say that?  

3 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

This one is on me. I just realised I broke my own rule and wore a Gers top during a game. Never did it at all last season. My bad.

I did the same, last season relied on my 'lucky blue boxers' and today added a Rangers top, that will not happen again with a TV game.   :sad:

3 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Think Malmö are about 13 or so games into their season, while Arabs had their league cup section which was competitive.

As I said a lot earlier, I think our early season has been very disjointed for various reasons including players who’ve been involved in tournaments over the summer. 

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

That all Barisic can do is worth 15-20 assists a season.

Bassey can charge forward but his final ball is terrible.

I'm not saying otherwise and it's not an over reaction to the result. Barisic looks poor at this moment in time, plus he has never been out and out great defensively either, as Alot of wingbacks aren't these days. 

Just now, Lovenkrands72 said:

Everyones entitled to their own opinion. Just think it was a massive over reaction. I agree we’ve started shite, 100% and some serious work needs done to get back on track but if someones only ever happy when they’re slaughtering the team then why even watch it? It’s too early in the season for reactions like that. 

Dont think the guys happy slaughtering the team mate,just venting his frustration which he's in his right to do,aye we're only a few games into the season,but every game and every point matters in the end,these are the games that the fans look back on when the winners are decided.

if we had played well against malmo after livingstone and lost today playing the same way,you could put it down to bad luck,however something clearly isn't right with us at the moment and its up to Gerrard to rectify it and quickly. 

Just now, Valance1690 said:

Talking to my mate about that during the game, don't think it's anything to do with fitness levels, it's more to do with the fact they want it more

After United scored there was a period of about 15 minutes where we hounded them down into mistake after mistake, if we didn't have the fitness that wouldn't have happened.

It's a case of does this squad have the fire to go and win another title, right now it seems most of them are still stuck in last season & winning that title was all that mattered.

Yeah there's definitely a degree of that to be fair, think both Malmo and these cunts today were helped out by their fans.

Equally I do think they were a bit sharper. Take the chance we had where Kamara had the ball in their box and just needed to shift it out to Kent for more or less a tap in, there were two or three phases to that and they got to every ball first.

Midfield is the issue for me. It’s not dynamic enough.  We take too many slow easy passes in there. We  have to move the ball quicker to the forward and wide players. Davis despite being our best player usually is particularly guilty of this. (They  all are to be fair)He’s been brilliant for us, but he slows games down too much for me.  At the moment we don’t have right blend in there. 

Lundstrum hasn’t turned up yet but I see him more as Arfields replacement anyway.  Not one who dictates play. We really need someone who can zip passes thru the opposition.  Up the tempo when required or slow it down if necessary. I think it’s the step we need to take to go up that next level. 

And our wide players not turning  up today doesn’t help midfielders find options either. 

Our attitude has to be better also. Utd we’re always gonna try and start quickly and press at home. That’s what all these clubs doo. If we match that attitude and fight and get tore in for first 20 mins and gets a goal, it nullify that and they tend to collapse. 

Disappointing result but just need to learn from it.