What is wrong with this team?

graeme_4

It has everything to do with winning 55. After that we had the tame surrender to Slavia at Ibrox and then the St Johnstone cup result. We did have a couple of good results at the tail end of the season against teams that had already thrown in the towel.

This season is a follow up to the post celebration form.The loss to Tranmere was a warning of things to come for this season and the win against a  Real Madrid reserve side merely disguised the fact that we were struggling. The performance last night was even worse than the performances against Malmö. The worse performance however was against Dundee Utd.

We've had a broken pre season and our worst one in years.

Anyone who's played at any level knows how vital a settled pre season is for everyone, from a fitness point of view and from a team bonding point of view.

Weve had suspensions for 2 players who would play for us from the start. They're massive players for us and central to how we play.

It's not been the best start though. But I'm more confident as we go into games against teams who will play us rather than sit in 

38 minutes ago, mark1963 said:

We never got the answer to our drop in form after our Dubai trip, similar at mo so should be easy to identify unless the slump then wasn't identified.

Helander getting injured to be replaced by Katic and Edmundson, Tav getting injured and missing most of January and needing to get rushed back because we only had Flanagan and Polster to replace him and finally Morelos's suspension, which was a joke, which left us with only Defoe who got injured and then we were left with Kamberi after the window.

Lack of a decent squad killed us that year. A year later add Balogun, Patterson and Roofe to that situation and it doesn't look so bad.

7 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

We've had a broken pre season and our worst one in years.

Anyone who's played at any level knows how vital a settled pre season is for everyone, from a fitness point of view and from a team bonding point of view.

Weve had suspensions for 2 players who would play for us from the start. They're massive players for us and central to how we play.

It's not been the best start though. But I'm more confident as we go into games against teams who will play us rather than sit in 

So what you’re saying is you aren’t confident for the weekend or next Thursday 

51 minutes ago, WilkoBear said:

Sadly I think our players are shitebags in front of fans, no bottle.

Last night was the definition of bottle! 

Seen on here alot about "when we are favourites we struggle with the expectations from the crowd"

Last night we showed fight and passion and courage on the ball to come out 2nd half and get the win.

Good win at the weekend with Roofe and Kamara back and I think this will be the turning point.

Drop Tav & Kent for Patterson n Wright and make a statement to the rest of the squad, Gerrard needs to do this!!

None of our big players have turned up.

Tavs been shite, Kent has been absolutely shocking. Goldson who was pretty much 8/10 every week seems to be struggling a bit.

Probably 3 of our biggest players struggling desperately for form.

Good news is hopefully Roofe, Kamara and Alfie who have missed a decent amount of games/pre season for one reason or another can lift the levels in the next few games.

4 minutes ago, Nk89 said:

Seen on here alot about "when we are favourites we struggle with the expectations from the crowd"

Last night we showed fight and passion and courage on the ball to come out 2nd half and get the win.

Good win at the weekend with Roofe and Kamara back and I think this will be the turning point.

Nonsense

Wright came on and pulled us over the line in the second half 

We've not had the best start to the season. The CL elimination an obvious sickener, especially because of the crazy manner we lost it. The first leg we had issues up top and in midfield because of injuries and suspensions. The second leg we lost it because of a crazy 5 minutes.

I think the manager could also have done more to change that game, we didn't even give Malmo something to think about. I think the manager got it wrong against Dundee Utd as well, especially in midfield.

However, I think he knows this. I think he knows how good our squad is so is willing to bring in Bassey after giving Barisic more than a fair crack. Even Kent, I cant recall Kent getting subbed too often in his Rangers career nevermind at half time.

Against Dunfermline we looked much more like ourselves with much more balance and control to our game. Last night we struggled for about half an hour but I felt that last 10 minutes of the first half we had them sussed and were getting closer until the sending off. 

Last night wasn't great 11 v 11 but I feel like we're getting that control of games back slowly but surely that we lacked against Malmo & Dundee Utd. Yes, Dunfermline and Alashkert are weaker than most or all of the teams we play week in week out but you have to build momentum from somwhere.

It was the same this time last season, people were unhappy we were only winning games 1-0 or 2-0 but that helped us build the momentum and get that winning taste and I'm sure that's us going now.

I think the manner we won last night might actually have done us more good than if we were 3-0 up at half time and the tie were effectively over.

I could be wrong, and if I am I will be as gutted as anyone, but I'm sure when we get to October, November, December and the dog days of winter when this side will play it's best football and win most of it's games I'm sure we will be back to talking about how good we are again!

17 minutes ago, Nk89 said:

Drop Tav & Kent for Patterson n Wright and make a statement to the rest of the squad, Gerrard needs to do this!!

Even though Tav’s pass set up Morelos ?

Disruptive pre season, predictable tactics, star signing doing his best Joey Barton impression and players with a poor attitude

Just need to get through the next 3 games best we can and regroup after the international break

The thing I cant work out is a few weeks ago, albeit in a friendly, Kent was enigmatic and played some phenomenal stuff against a quality of opposition who on paper are well ahead of anything we have played so far this season, yet since then he has been largely ineffective. Makes no sense.

My worry is after winning the league some of the team are taking for granted what is needed to beat lower teams as they think just turning up to play is enough, and only when they feel the opposition is a bigger side do they feel it needs the extra effort turned on!

1 minute ago, islanderbear84 said:

The thing I cant work out is a few weeks ago, albeit in a friendly, Kent was enigmatic and played some phenomenal stuff against a quality of opposition who on paper are well ahead of anything we have played so far this season, yet since then he has been largely ineffective. Makes no sense.

My worry is after winning the league some of the team are taking for granted what is needed to beat lower teams as they think just turning up to play is enough, and only when they feel the opposition is a bigger side do they feel it needs the extra effort turned on!

Let you into something mate 

Nobody especially wingers are amazing every game.

Players had a fire lit under them last season, for alot of them it was their last chance as individuals to make a name for themselves & they probably knew it was Gerrards last chance here also

If the taigs won the 10 last season, this group of players would've been the ones who let that happen, Gerrard wouldve left, the squad would've been broke up, players sold to shitty championship/league 1 teams and that's the end for them.

By winning the league they took us back to the top, stopped the taigs and where plastered across everything for months, now they're finding it hard to get the drive to go again when in their eyes, there's nothing left to prove.

The roles are reversed now, the taigs have a fire lit up their arse & if we continue with the same pishy attitude, players looking like they'd rather be anywhere else etc then we'll lose the league to them this season. 

Thankfully it's only August and we have time but the game against against at the end of the month is absolutely massive in terms of the season.

It’s not overly effected us so far bar maybe malmos second goal at ibrox but I’m not having the goalkeeping situation either , if Greegs has said two games a week is to much now, like Gerrard has indicated, McLaughlin would be in till he’s injured or has a loss of form for me , game each helps no one 

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

Players had a fire lit under them last season, for alot of them it was their last chance as individuals to make a name for themselves & they probably knew it was Gerrards last chance here also

If the taigs won the 10 last season, this group of players would've been the ones who let that happen, Gerrard wouldve left, the squad would've been broke up, players sold to shitty championship/league 1 teams and that's the end for them.

By winning the league they took us back to the top, stopped the taigs and where plastered across everything for months, now they're finding it hard to get the drive to go again when in their eyes, there's nothing left to prove.

The roles are reversed now, the taigs have a fire lit up their arse & if we continue with the same pishy attitude, players looking like they'd rather be anywhere else etc then we'll lose the league to them this season. 

Thankfully it's only August and we have time but the game against against at the end of the month is absolutely massive in terms of the season.

we seem to have put everything (signings and drive) last season into stopping 9.75 and it looks like they’re throwing everything at the automatic CL qualification and the immediate financial return that brings. 

Our signings so far and the malaise of the recent performances is giving me the feeling that as a club we’ve fell asleep at the wheel but I take heart on the win last night with ten men.

The performance from 60 minutes I hope will be the boost the players needed and we’ll kick on from here.

6 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

It’s not overly effected us so far bar maybe malmos second goal at ibrox but I’m not having the goalkeeping situation either , if Greegs has said two games a week is to much now like Gerrard has indicated, McLaughlin would be in till he’s injured or severe loss of form for me , game each helps no one 

I normally laugh at his time wasting antics but last night he ripped the piss right out of it and I think only the subs stopped him getting a booking. AM for the bigger games with Jon for all others.