Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

21 minutes ago, SonicWill said:

I'll be gutted if he leaves but, realistically, the day was going to come.

I also don't get any of the anger or bitterness directed towards him.

If you got offered a better paying job, closer to your family, with more career progression opportunity then you'd very likely take it.

And whilst mid-season isn't ideal, it's not up to Steven Gerrard to have a succession plan in place. 

He was brought in to rebuild our club and stop celtic doing the 10. He's done that and I'll be forever grateful. He's been incredibly upfront about the fact that he wants to manage his boyhood club and this move will take him a step closer to it.

If he leaves, I'll always support him and wish him the best of luck. 

Could stand either side of this argument. 

Asked the majority of us what we wanted from him at outset I’d say he’s ticked most boxes. Stop the downward trajectory (fucking free-fall), get the title back, stop OF embarrassments, getting us back in amongst European Football (holding our own) and in general have us looking like a modern, professional club again...he’s done all that and for that reason I for one consider him to have done a good job, excellent tbh.   He is one of few managers in my lifetime that would hand the club over in a better place than he picked it up, by some distance. 

it’s the timing though isn’t it - will there ever be a good time ? Answer is probably not but you’d struggle to find a worse time. This campaign is so crucial...last year emotionally it was peak, the stakes are higher this year. 

I guess what he has said, installing that feeling of getting it, understanding where we are trying to get to and more so where we have been...I guess it’s easily chalked up as ‘they all say that’....Well I fell for it. Naive? Yeah, seems so but there you have it  

Unfortunately the timing is the difference of take a lap of honour to leaving a bit of a bad taste, I do think history will be kind to him as far as we are concerned  

Gorra emphasise - total speculation, but reading between the lines I’m thinking it’s in flow now. 

passionate fan hysteria on here as we care

media and blogger hysteria as they know nothing but will print half stories for sales and clicks 

silence from SG which is the professional way   

silence from Rangers and Villa which is the professional way

Rangers should have or will now be thinking about contingency plans which aren’t for public consumption 

Villa should have or will now be thinking about contingency plans which aren’t for public consumption 

11 minutes ago, Big Al 55 said:

The reason is irrelevant. I suppose we could have got rid of SG after 55 to give us a better chance of qualifying.

We all know you don’t rate SG, you’ve said it about 40 times on the thread already.

No it isn’t. Had we qualified for the CL we’d have had more money to spend. It’s completely relevant. The football side has been well backed by the Board. 

That’s just a nonsense statement. I’ve never said I wanted rid at any point. Just not in the ‘gut punch’ or ‘heartbroken’ category. 

Put your dummy back in.

7 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

SG doesn’t jump to command for the media and the release clause is the only truth they can release as they know nothing at this stage. 

No, he jumps to the club's command. If the Rangers board don't know Gerrard's position at this moment, they aren't fit for purpose

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

No, he jumps to the club's command. If the Rangers board don't know Gerrard's position at this moment, they aren't fit for purpose

Could have asked for time to think about it? Not sure why discussions like this would or should be leaked by the club at any point. 

Just now, The Dude said:

and now you’re speculating what the board know and don’t know which is ok as you’re a fan and on a quest to film the voids on things no one yet knows  

5 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

I know this seems like going back in time a bit, but what about Michel Preud’homme?

League winner with Standard Liege, Al-Shabab and Club Brugge, missed out on leagues with Gent and Twente by a bawhair.

When he decided to go to Twente, there was very serious interest from AC Milan and Porto, but he didn't like their vision on how the club should be run (he's the kind of manager that wants to be in almost total control) so he decided to go with Twente instead.

His personality is a bit weird though. He's an absolute maniac at the sidelines, and his press conferences can be a bit edgy (like Louis Van Gaal). 

His biggest strengths are that he makes all of his players a hell of a lot better and gives them the confidence they need, and that he obsesses over match preparation. He wants to be able to 100% analyse the opponents and almost always figures out a way to beat their tactic.

Doesn't sound like the type of guy who would want to work with a DoF plus hasn't he moved into an admin role at Liege or something now? Guy might have moved on from the day-to-day stuff.

2 minutes ago, LiverpoolBlue said:

Ideally, he leaves after wrapping up 56, forever a Rangers legend

leaving now, he'd be our Brenda!!

Fair comparisons to be made there I agree - could argue the Clyde Tunnel 1 left with a gift wrapped title being handed over. 

3 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Doesn't sound like the type of guy who would want to work with a DoF plus hasn't he moved into an admin role at Liege or something now? Guy might have moved on from the day-to-day stuff.

Yep, he’s Sporting Director there I think.

Still think it’d be worth asking him the question, if he says no we just move on to the next candidate.

1 minute ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

The vast majority of the support aren’t going to see him as a “legend” if he leaves now, it’s naive at best to think that. 

He wasn’t a legend anyway ffs. The way this has went he’s totally tarnished his reputation for me anyway. 

Loyalty, I’m happy here, this club has my heart. All mouthpiece rubbish. 

10 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

"I should have sat back and enjoyed the success at Rangers for a little while, but I didn’t do that and I regret it."

Graeme Souness.

Take note Stevie 👍

Aye back when Scottish football was half decent, it is dying on it's arse and l wouldn't blame him if he decided to take the job if offered.

10 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Sky sports running with a story saying he's keen on it. They're usually well sourced and don't fuck about.

Screenshot_20211110-110004.png

It says he is open to a return to the Premier League, not a move to Aston Villa. What they don’t say is as important as what they do say. 

24 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

That’s exactly it. I think there’s going to be pros and cons to every candidate. We just have to hope the board get it right. Who would you like to see get it?

I actually havent a clue, at this stage of the season i really don't know, in thr summer you'd pick plenty people to start their own side, but the now we'd need consistency over upheaval, and i havent the first clue who that could be right now

Just now, Bronzy said:

Yep, he’s Sporting Director there I think.

Still think it’d be worth asking him the question, if he says no we just move on to the next candidate.

I think what's for sure is we will have bigger names wanting our job now. 

When Gerrard came in, nobody wanted the job because of 10iar hanging over the club like a dark cloud - that is now gone. We're back on equal footing. We have a supportive board and the best squad in the country.