Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

Just now, Sunglasses Ron said:

Stevie will hopefully not be tempted this time.  Depressingly, no doubt there will be another Aston Villa type offer coming along every 3 months or so with the turnover of managers in the PL and we just need to get used to that.

There will be other links but Villa is probably as attractive an offer as he is likely to get, if he doesn't fancy them he's not going to go to another club down there outwith Liverpool.

24 minutes ago, El-Hadji Spit RFC said:

I think SG would be better looking at a championship club over a PL club outside of Liverpool… Promotion to PL, then underdog tag wouldn’t be as risky prior to the Liverpool move. 

Not a chance. His ceiling is far higher than a championship club now. 

That's daft

One thing seems clear , If and when Gerrard moves on , the list of candidates to replace him will be of a higher quality than what we were looking at prior to him taking the job . 

FWIW , I don't see him leaving before the conclusion of the current season . The Title and Champions League qualification will be a big factor in him staying . He's not leaving for any other top 4 team bar Liverpool , and jobs with clubs like Villa will always be linked to him , but whether he would take the risk of failure there , and let's be honest it's pretty ruthless amongst that particular group of clubs , ruining his chances of the job that he's always wanted . I'm not so sure he's in any rush professionally to go anywhere , but family reasons might come into the equation . 

I wouldn’t be massively surprised if we are looking for a new manager before our next game. 

Not saying he’s gone by any stretch but he’s Villa’s number 1 target. Will come down to whether they are willing to pay the compensation we want for him & his entire backroom staff who will leave with him. 

7 minutes ago, peter huistra said:

AVB 

Danny Blind 

Marco Silva  

Frank de Boer with Ronald has is assistant. 

best shout in the thread though is Gio. 

realistically if we are going for a British manager I'd like to see Kenny Sheils with Thomson or McCann to assist. 

Frank DeBoer is awful and Silva is a fraud who looks good in a suit, fuck sake.

13 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

I wouldn’t be massively surprised if we are looking for a new manager before our next game. 

Not saying he’s gone by any stretch but he’s Villa’s number 1 target. Will come down to whether they are willing to pay the compensation we want for him & his entire backroom staff who will leave with him. 

That’s a worry. Do you have any idea if we already have a list of potential candidates lined up? Surely we’ve had the foresight to know Gerrard wouldn’t be here forever and we’ve been doing groundwork and homework in the background for when he did eventually leave.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

That’s a worry. Do you have any idea if we already have a list of potential candidates lined up? Surely we’ve had the foresight to know Gerrard wouldn’t be here forever and we’ve been doing groundwork and homework in the background for when he did eventually leave.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before that Ross Wilson has a list of potential managers that he regularly updates.

I'm really not sure what we do. Go down the Gerrard route again, go for a well known manager or an out if the box appointment.

If Gerard was to leave, I think Beale would be the logical candidate if he wanted it.  Bit of a risk, I know, as he has never been the main man at any club but I cannot see too many better candidates given the financial constraints we have to work in.  Would also hopefully allow a continuation of the progress made over the last few years without the disruption which could be caused by bringing in a new man.  

I know there is still mixed feelings about him on here at times but I would be gutted if we lost Gerrard right now. It’s such an important season and moment for the club and if he were to leave I think it it could all come tumbling down if our replacement isn’t spot on.

1 minute ago, Ibroxholm said:

If Gerard was to leave, I think Beale would be the logical candidate if he wanted it.  Bit of a risk, I know, as he has never been the main man at any club but I cannot see too many better candidates given the financial constraints we have to work in.  Would also hopefully allow a continuation of the progress made over the last few years without the disruption which could be caused by bringing in a new man.  

If he goes he’s taking the entire backroom staff with him all the way down to the doctors and analysts. 

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

I know there is still mixed feelings about him on here at times but I would be gutted if we lost Gerrard right now. It’s such an important season and moment for the club and if he were to leave I think it it could all come tumbling down if our replacement isn’t spot on.

It's the stage of the season that concerns me, I think he is replaceable but we have our biggest 2 months of the season coming up.

The timing couldn’t be any worse really.

A fortnight ago you would have assumed that both Eddie Howe and Frank Lampard would both have been high up in the clubs thinking and now one of them has a job and the other is one the verge of getting one.

Losing him now would honestly be a sickener.