Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

1 minute ago, Marco said:

Sadly, yes. Gerrard's name helps us in terms of recruitment, but the downside is we'll have to endure him being linked to any PL job. He was even linked to the Everton job which says it all!

Just because the media use his name for click bait doesn't mean we have to read about it here constantly.

1 hour ago, SIRB_72 said:

Seen some decent names mentioned and some not so decent names mentioned.

One I haven't seen is Serhiy Rebrov. He has a fantastic track record with Dynamo Kiev and Ferencvaros domestically and in Europe. 

With Dynamo, before last season, he was the only manager to win them any titles (two in a row) since 2009. In the league his win rate was 82% with both seasons combined and lost 1 game in 52. In his first full season he also took Dynamo to the QF of the Europa League and were level on aggregate before a sending off away to Fiorentina. In his second season he took Dynamo to the L16 in the CL getting knocked out by Man City. 

All this in a league that is arguably stronger than our own, in effectively a two horse and smashed the competition by winning consitently along with doing extremely well in Europe. From what I can tell it was with what he was given as well.

We've all seen what he's done with Ferencvaros. In his three seasons there he won the league by 13 points, 13 points again and then 20 points. Similar to his time at Dynamo, Ferencvaros had won one league title in 15 years before his arrival.

in Europe he was extremely impressive, like Gerrard. In his first season they were out of Europe before he joined, in his second they missed on the CL after losing to Dinamo Zagreb but got Ferencvaros to their first European group stage in 15 years. In his third and final season we know what he did do to a certain team but more importantly got Ferencvaros to the CL group stages for the first time in their history.

In between Dynamo and Ferencvaros he took a spell in Saudi Arabia, presumably for the pay day, and has now taken a job in the UAE, no doubt for the same reasons. However, his pedigree domestically and in Europe is too good to ignore. I also suspect due to his 4/5 years in England he has a decent grasp of the language along with how British football works.

That's a great shout and the kind of name I'd be looking for.

35 minutes ago, We Will Follow Rangers said:

Just because the media use his name for click bait doesn't mean we have to read about it here constantly.

This is a forum to discuss our club. Gerrard, who is the manager of our club, is the current bookmakers favourite for the Villa job. It’s only natural that people are going to want to discuss it and the potential fallout of if it happens.

39 minutes ago, We Will Follow Rangers said:

Then don't click on the threads that are very clearly about it and you won't need to. 

2 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

Seen some decent names mentioned and some not so decent names mentioned.

One I haven't seen is Serhiy Rebrov. He has a fantastic track record with Dynamo Kiev and Ferencvaros domestically and in Europe. 

With Dynamo, before last season, he was the only manager to win them any titles (two in a row) since 2009. In the league his win rate was 82% with both seasons combined and lost 1 game in 52. In his first full season he also took Dynamo to the QF of the Europa League and were level on aggregate before a sending off away to Fiorentina. In his second season he took Dynamo to the L16 in the CL getting knocked out by Man City. 

All this in a league that is arguably stronger than our own, in effectively a two horse and smashed the competition by winning consitently along with doing extremely well in Europe. From what I can tell it was with what he was given as well.

We've all seen what he's done with Ferencvaros. In his three seasons there he won the league by 13 points, 13 points again and then 20 points. Similar to his time at Dynamo, Ferencvaros had won one league title in 15 years before his arrival.

in Europe he was extremely impressive, like Gerrard. In his first season they were out of Europe before he joined, in his second they missed on the CL after losing to Dinamo Zagreb but got Ferencvaros to their first European group stage in 15 years. In his third and final season we know what he did do to a certain team but more importantly got Ferencvaros to the CL group stages for the first time in their history.

In between Dynamo and Ferencvaros he took a spell in Saudi Arabia, presumably for the pay day, and has now taken a job in the UAE, no doubt for the same reasons. However, his pedigree domestically and in Europe is too good to ignore. I also suspect due to his 4/5 years in England he has a decent grasp of the language along with how British football works.

Would certainly be an interesting shout. 

27 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Was against him when he was offered it never mind now, would really struggle to get behind McInnes.

Don't really want to contemplate Gerrard going but I would take an ambitious Farke type signing over Jack Ross or Callum Davidson all day.

I know you're only using him as an example and not necessarily suggesting him but I've seen him mentioned before, I think he'd be a terrible appointment. 

He's shown twice in the premier league with Norwich that he's willing to put his philosophy over points and that just doesn't work here unless you are exceptional.

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

It’s as logical a step as he will get if he stays in British football.

I’ve said it before but I think us to Liverpool is a massive jump in every aspect apart from the expectations among supporters. I honest think he needs a second job to bridge between the two jobs and he won’t get many better options in this country than Villa to achieve that.

Don't agree with that. Villa don't put enough resources in to be competitive and get into Europe. Gerrard could easily to there and work with not much and hover about below mid table.

Best thing he could do is stay out frankly for a few years and then see what opens up for him. 

49 minutes ago, We Will Follow Rangers said:

You can see the type in the media that are pushing this no surprise the OP jumped on the bandwagon.

There is a real desperation from some quarters for Gerrard to go but they are the same ones who say he hasn’t really achieved much.

So which is it, he’s done so well that all EPL jobs point to him or he hasn’t done that well and is 1 cup exit away from a sacking :headwall:

1 minute ago, keithgersbear said:

Don't agree with that. Villa don't put enough resources in to be competitive and get into Europe. Gerrard could easily to there and work with not much and hover about below mid table.

Best thing he could do is stay out frankly for a few years and then see what opens up for him. 

They've spent somewhere close to £300m in the past 3 summers.

14 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

This is a forum to discuss our club. Gerrard, who is the manager of our club, is the current bookmakers favourite for the Villa job. It’s only natural that people are going to want to discuss it and the potential fallout of if it happens.

So does Gerrard have to come out everytime there is a nonsense story drummed up by the absolute filth in the media/ bloggers and perpetuated on here by the weak minded.

3 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

There is a real desperation from some quarters for Gerrard to go but they are the same ones who say he hasn’t really achieved much.

So which is it, he’s done so well that all EPL jobs point to him or he hasn’t done that well and is 1 cup exit away from a sacking :headwall:

Haven't seen a single poster saying they want him to leave.

Just now, Smile said:

So does Gerrard have to come out everytime there is a nonsense story drummed up by the absolute filth in the media/ bloggers and perpetuated on here by the weak minded.

If it’s in the news people are going to talk about it. The exact same thing happens when players are constantly linked with moves so why would it be any different for Gerrard? I don’t see why people are so precious about it. The thread title is clear. If you don’t agree with discussing the topic then don’t come in the thread.

10 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

I know you're only using him as an example and not necessarily suggesting him but I've seen him mentioned before, I think he'd be a terrible appointment. 

He's shown twice in the premier league with Norwich that he's willing to put his philosophy over points and that just doesn't work here unless you are exceptional.

That's a fair point and you're right I'm not necessarily suggesting him.

I'm always going to lean towards managers that play attacking football though, just like you're going to get people who lean towards the McInnes/Warnock/Pearson pragmatic type ones.

2 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

That's a fair point and you're right I'm not necessarily suggesting him.

I'm always going to lean towards managers that play attacking football though, just like you're going to get people who lean towards the McInnes/Warnock/Pearson pragmatic type ones.

If that's the mould we were going for I wonder if we could tempt Thomas Frank