Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I suppose Lampard got Chelsea thru Derby so mibee that is true.

Chelsea were desperate, Liverpool are not in that category and I can only see Klopp’s leaving on a high rather than being sacked. Also Lampard did fairly well at derby not sure what Gerrard would have to do at Villa for it to be classed as successful enough to get the Liverpool job.

12 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

A deep run and 56 does more for him than going to Villa and being mediocre but going to Villa and being a success guarantees him the Liverpool job.

That’s the risk he has to weigh up. If he goes to Villa and fails then he potentially blows his chance of the Liverpool job in the future but if he’s successful he puts himself in that mix.

Staying here is safer but more difficult to see how he can convince others down south he has done enough to prove he can take the Liverpool job. If he stays here and wins consecutive titles for 4/5 years waiting for Klopp to leave then it would put in him in a good stead.

1 minute ago, Colin Traive said:

Success being going from fifth bottom to sixth bottom?

What?

1 minute ago, NeoGeo7 said:

That’s the risk he has to weigh up. If he goes to Villa and fails then he potentially blows his chance of the Liverpool job in the future but if he’s successful he puts himself in that mix.

Staying here is safer but more difficult to see how he can convince others down south he has done enough to prove he can take the Liverpool job. If he stays here and wins consecutive titles for 4/5 years waiting for Klopp to leave then it would put in him in a good stead.

Yeah he's definitely more likely to succeed here. Arguments to be made from his point of view for going and staying.

57 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

This is a forum to discuss our club. Gerrard, who is the manager of our club, is the current bookmakers favourite for the Villa job. It’s only natural that people are going to want to discuss it and the potential fallout of if it happens.

And what does that mean in reality mate, come on.

You've got as much chance of taking the villa job as Gerrard.

Rebrov seems like a very sound appointment I’ve read up on him since he was mentioned in this thread, some real credentials there. 

Gerrard hasn’t left yet though, and I really would be surprised if he goes even next summer, I’m not sure what he’d gain from leaving in the summer and not getting that eagerly awaited crack at the CL if we win the league

1 minute ago, The Specky Liar said:

What?

My bad, was actually looking at Villa catching up with some of the “Dean Smith to replace Gerrard” nonsense from earlier.

I suppose that success at Newcastle is fourth bottom this season.

Interesting that relocating hundreds of miles from the south coast wasn’t a problem after all.

But then Newcastle aren’t facing industrial scale child rape class action.

Just now, Colin Traive said:

My bad, was actually looking at Villa catching up with some of the “Dean Smith to replace Gerrard” nonsense from earlier.

I suppose that success at Newcastle is fourth bottom this season.

Interesting that relocating hundreds of miles from the south coast wasn’t a problem after all.

But then Newcastle aren’t facing industrial scale child rape class action.

I haven't a clue what you're talking about here sorry.

6 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Rebrov seems like a very sound appointment I’ve read up on him since he was mentioned in this thread, some real credentials there. 

Gerrard hasn’t left yet though, and I really would be surprised if he goes even next summer, I’m not sure what he’d gain from leaving in the summer and not getting that eagerly awaited crack at the CL if we win the league

In reality....his 'crack at the CL' group stage could easily do more harm than good. With the resources at our disposal, it's very difficult to see us progressing from the group stages and the likelihood is a quick exit.....while he could be spending millions at Villa. Still.....we'll get a decent price for Kent when he comes back for him in January.

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

That’s why Scott Parker would be my dream appointment, even if it is a pipe dream. He strikes me as somebody who has that balance between having a modern footballing ethos but also that understanding of what is required at a club like ours and how unique the demands would and can be.

Yeah he'd be another I'd be fairly excited about.

Think he'd want to get a second league title before he leaves but equally, the opportunity to work in an environment hes accustomed to with money to spend will be appealing. 

All managers are mercenaries nowadays, if the right offer comes along then Gerrard will go.

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Rebrov's never been linked with Spurs has he the half dozen or so times it seems that job's come up in the past couple of years?

Seems a bit peculiar if he's that good no?

Massive jump from what we'd require to what Spurs are looking for as seen in the last week

Just now, keithgersbear said:

Like Everton they don't get anywhere and they don't win anything. It would be a move he'd just regret after a year when sacked. 

You're right they don't win anything but it's not right to say they don't back their managers, they do. Massively.