Why Rangers?

Born into a Rangers family. My first memory of Ibrox was my eldest brother literally throwing me over the turnstile at the 'Father & Son' gate!!    No idea who we played that day....... I was just in awe of the atmosphere and the crowd....and the fact I managed to

a) get in for free, and

b) find my brother when he got in

Don' worry, I've more than recompensed the Club for my Father & Son antics

I grew up supporting Rangers and can't remember a time in my life where I didn't but the first thing that really made it click for me was watching a game with my dad and uncle when I was really wee (maybe 4 or 5) and seeing how much it made them happy when we scored and I just wanted a part of that.

I was brought up on Dalmarnock Road and then up in Craigend. My old man used to take me to the Piggery until one day I said no more. I was about 9 so it was a real act of defiance.

Its either in you or it isn't. 

Took Rangers from my Ma's side of the family.
Great Grampa and Grampa were Orange order from NI and passed it on to most of the family.
Remember an Uncle taking me and an older brother to matches in the late 50's early 60's,and was amazed at how many buses used to leave the town to go to the match.
Actually remember about half a dozen of us who must have been about 8/9 years old,standing singing TBB outside one house where a family of catholics had moved in.

Everyone on both sides of my family was a bluenose, mother’s family lived a bye kick from Ibrox in Orkney Street across from the polis station, old man’s side weren’t from much further away in Kingston.

I wouldn’t be surprised if my great-grandfathers saw the Gallant Pioneers.

Granda was a Rangers family, Nanna's family were mad Airdrie fans, where they grew up.  Was always Rangers for me but definitely always looked out for Airdrie results but then as a younger lad migrating to Australia has been nothing but Rangers since.   Distinctly remember the 1992 cup final as a 10 year old kid being a huge deal in my grandparents house and being a right wee shite tormenting my nanna at the result :lol:

Born into a Rangers family through generations.knew it when I was 3 when my dad slipped my first Rangers jersey over my head at Hamilton races in 75.could see the sun through my blue round neck Jersey. Nothing so beautiful when my head popped through, looked down on the royal blue with a sewn on Crest.ran about like wee daftie, with my dad and my  uncles with a football on the grass.all the lassies,  my mum , ma sister and my aunties singing colin Stein colin stein. Been Rangers daft since then.now that I've moved home to ardrossan, got a job up here, I can be at ibrox all the time, rather than 10 times a season.its what my dad would have  wanted for me god rest his soul.im so fuckin happy, no even the SG thing can get me down, we have been in far worse situations, 

No Surrender 

Rab 

Just now, DiamondDan said:

My old man was Rangers so was in Rangers strips from a toddler, but he only ever took me to a couple of games and a stadium tour. 

Uncle was an Airdrie fan and took me to Broomfield every match from the age of 6, when Airdrie played Rangers I would wear my Rangers gear in the Airdrie end.

By the 1992 Cup final I wanted Airdrie to win. Went to see Airdrie most weeks for decades, Rangers in European games since the 90s, few league games a season and armchair supporting.

Season ticket at Ibrox for the last 5 years or so. Loads of lapsed Airdrie supporters following Rangers now.

LOL, Dad is diehard Gers, but first strip as a kid was Airdrie.

The story in our family goes like this.

My dad (in the 50’s) was a Clyde supporter and when he started dating my mum, my grandad (staunch, shipbuilding, south side) asked my mum what team he supported.

She asked him one day, he replied Clyde, and she reported back.

”What sort of fuckin answer is that? Is he a fuckin taig?

Next time they met, my mum asked him if Clyde were taigs? Long story short, my grandad took my dad to Ibrox in the 50s and after that my dad was hooked and never went to Shawfied again (except for the greyhounds).

I was born a bluenose, into a bluenose family in the early 60s and was lucky to go to Ibrox with them both.

On 10/11/2021 at 15:32, Thermopylae said:

You just know when you've met the right one :pipe:

Did a post about why,and never mentioned my Da was an Ayr United fan who used to take 3 brothers and myself to Somerset.
I remember being up on his shoulders and him telling me to knock the Rangers fans hats off,and i refused.
It was like a carnival when Rangers came to the town,and i just remember how happy and funny the Rangers fans were.
I definitely knew when i was a kid i was a Rangers fan,and i couldn't wait to go to Ibrox.
3 of us ended up Rangers fans,and in his later years  remember taking my Da to Hampden and Ibrox to watch us.

Rangers gripped me by the fucking balls from the first moment i laid eyes on the club. Everything about our club has been a trance on me thats never left. I still remember walking into my first game at Ibrox and thats when i knew this is going to be the majority of my life now. 

14 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Did a post about why,and never mentioned my Da was an Ayr United fan who used to take 3 brothers and myself to Somerset.
I remember being up on his shoulders and him telling me to knock the Rangers fans hats off,and i refused.
It was like a carnival when Rangers came to the town,and i just remember how happy and funny the Rangers fans were.
I definitely knew when i was a kid i was a Rangers fan,and i couldn't wait to go to Ibrox.
3 of us ended up Rangers fans,and in his later years  remember taking my Da to Hampden and Ibrox to watch us.

You better not tell the Scottish mhedia that Rangers fans are good guys that's not the line they like to push at all :lol:.

Ayr always makes me think of Murray because they didn't want anything to do with him ... obviously they could see it would eventually all end in tears :ang:.

Glad your dad finally saw the light nothing beat chatting about the team with the old man :pipe:

25 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

You better not tell the Scottish mhedia that Rangers fans are good guys that's not the line they like to push at all :lol:.

Ayr always makes me think of Murray because they didn't want anything to do with him ... obviously they could see it would eventually all end in tears :ang:.

Glad your dad finally saw the light nothing beats chatting about the team with the old man :pipe:

:thumbsup:
Took my son to Kilmarnock for a league cup group match around 89 when he was about 5 and went for pies at half time,and left him with his uncle,who was a killie fan.
When i came back he was sobbing.
He wondered where i had went,and we had scored and he shat himself at the roar.
My take was his uncle was nipping the poor kid because his team got beat by about 6/7 goals that day.
He's now a home and away with his mates since he was about 15/16.
Met my Daughter at Queen Street Station with my Grandson who was about 5 about 2014 and took him out to ibrox on the Underground and he was mesmerised by the Rangers support,one actually offered him a guzzle of Buckfast to which he just shook his head :tonic: :mutley:....left him on his own at half time to get him a hotdog and when i came back i'm not sure he knew i had been away,he's a laid back kid. 
He actually goes to Dunfermline matches with his Dad,but i take him to Ibrox when i get a chance. 

This is a local story about Murrays old man who was a large coal merchant,and used to put stones in his coal to maximise his profits,and if i remember correctly he went out the game because of drink.