Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

1 hour ago, TheKingObv said:

Things obviously improved considerably after this thread was created which gives him plenty money in the bank. He can definitely do the job in cups.

The question of whether he has the ability to deliver a league title is still very much in doubt though.

The thread was a fucking joke tbh. As was the reaction last Tuesday.

social media and online is absolutely fucking wild (for most teams) 

10 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

@esquire8 bumping the thread during the Scottish Semi when they scored then us going on to win was class :lol: 

10 hours ago, The Specky Liar said:

No chance hahahahaha 

Absolute fucking freak

Thats a belter, but there's a hell of a lot more, ive been hell of a negative at times but people in the start of this thread were blades to the wrist material lol

Sure one person had us down to be pumped at hampden in the semi and off braga, 

The people not wanting him to assemble his own squad though i can never get my head around, given the players history for collapsing under the manager who signed them, it was unreal how gio got the blame for the same type of collapse

12 hours ago, TheKingObv said:

Things obviously improved considerably after this thread was created which gives him plenty money in the bank. He can definitely do the job in cups.

The question of whether he has the ability to deliver a league title is still very much in doubt though.

It will always be in doubt until he wins it, thats the nature of scottish football and the OF, but wanting him punted 7 months into a job with no players of his own bar some jan cover signings, with a squad that had a history of arse collapsing, while we were atillin Europe is a fucking riot

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Thats a belter, but there's a hell of a lot more, ive been hell of a negative at times but people in the start of this thread were blades to the wrist material lol

Sure one person had us down to be pumped at hampden in the semi and off braga, 

The people not wanting him to assemble his own squad though i can never get my head around, given the players history for collapsing under the manager who signed them, it was unreal how gio got the blame for the same type of collapse

As soon as Morelos was announced as being out I said it would happen too tbh 

It's definitely Gio's team now. He has put his stamp on it. The only guaranteed mainstays from the Gerrard era are Tav, Goldson, Lawrence and Kent.

He has changed goalkeepers.

Lawrence is taking in swinging corners (finally)

He feels no pressure to play our three expensive summer signings.

Or play Jack or Morelos, who would have started tonight under Gerrard.

Binning Sakala (harshly)

His love for Wright, which most disagree about.

It's his team now for sure and I think he is doing a great job. (with the exception of tonight's subs)

6 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

It's definitely Gio's team now. He has put his stamp on it. The only guaranteed mainstays from the Gerrard era are Tav, Goldson, Lawrence and Kent.

Binning Sakala (harshly)

It's his team now for sure and I think he is doing a great job. (with the exception of tonight's subs)

Got to be honest I don't see the hype around Lawrence. Early days but I don't see where he fits in with everyone fit. 

1 minute ago, KingKirk said:

Got to be honest I don't see the hype around Lawrence. Early days but I don't see where he fits in with everyone fit. 

Lawrence is fantastic KK. His work off the ball is exceptional and he finds pockets of space to receive it.

He won't be on the ball as much as Tillman, but he is just as effective. Maybe an unsung hero at times.

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Lawrence is fantastic KK. His work off the ball is exceptional and he finds pockets of space to receive it.

He won't be on the ball as much as Tillman, but he is just as effective. Maybe an unsung hero at times.

I always thought he was a 10 but maybe its just me😂 he did play wide left for Derby but for us he's more like a box2box midfield. Just strange to see him playing so deep mate no sure it suits him either. 

40 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Binning Sakala (harshly)

Can see why he made them at 2-1, just we lost control of the game pretty quickly after. Don't think that was just down to the subs though.

15 hours ago, KingKirk said:

Love Lawrence personally - brilliant technique and touch, and not bad at putting his foot in either. 

Hopefully grows to be more influential on games.

20 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Love Lawrence personally - brilliant technique and touch, and not bad at putting his foot in either. 

Hopefully grows to be more influential on games.

Bright future with us, I'm really sure.

17 hours ago, J-Maestro said:

Can see why he made them at 2-1, just we lost control of the game pretty quickly after. Don't think that was just down to the subs though.

Dont really recall psv really having gilt edged chances either, the guys subbed off wouldnt have defended the corner any better given our centre half didn't defend it well

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Dont really recall psv really having gilt edged chances either, the guys subbed off wouldnt have defended the corner any better given our centre half didn't defend it well

Think he was expecting Kamara to provide that calmness in the middle that Davis does, they were struggling with guys on the turn too so can see why Wright was on.

They had a couple but none came from something Wright or Kamara did, think regardless of who came on the rest of the team dropped their levels.

18 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Binning Sakala (harshly)

Lawrence is a Gio signing.   He should feel pressure to play our 3 expensive signings.  Pointless spending big bucks just to leave the players out.  I don't have total confidence in Gio as I feel he is too stubborn.  God knows what he sees in Wright.  His substitutions can be baffling at times.   The zonal marking isn't working.   Playing Sands as a CB is not the answer to any defensive question.

13 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

Lawrence is a Gio signing.   He should feel pressure to play our 3 expensive signings.  Pointless spending big bucks just to leave the players out.  I don't have total confidence in Gio as I feel he is too stubborn.  God knows what he sees in Wright.  His substitutions can be baffling at times.   The zonal marking isn't working.   Playing Sands as a CB is not the answer to any defensive question.

Davies is out injured, Matondo shouldn't be playing ahead of Tillman or Lawrence in that game(especially after his last European performance) and Yilmaz is just in the door with Barasic having picked up form since then.

9 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Davies is out injured, Matondo shouldn't be playing ahead of Tillman or Lawrence in that game(especially after his last European performance) and Yilmaz is just in the door with Barasic having picked up form since then.

I wasn't specifically referring to last night's game.  My point still stands.  Pointless spending big bucks on players not to use them.  Matondo should have been on instead of Wright last night.    

17 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Matondo shouldn't be starting but towards the end of that game last night it was crying out for him on the pitch to help get us out - we were playing long balls in behind them but were too tired / sitting to deep to latch onto it and they comfortably dealt with it. Matondo for Kent is what i'd have done after about 70 mins

21 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I think Gio sees in Wright something that is not there. Sands to me is a stop gap as we don't have anyone fit at the required level. Don't know if he is too stubborn or just does'nt have the options yet. Zonal marking is not for me.

Just now, JCDBigBear said:

I wasn't specifically referring to last night's game.  My point still stands.  Pointless spending big bucks on players not to use them.  Matondo should have been on instead of Wright last night.    

They're completely different players though? Gio felt he needed something on that Wright offered and Matondo didn't.

1 minute ago, psb07158 said:

Matondo shouldn't be starting but towards the end of that game last night it was crying out for him on the pitch to help get us out - we were playing long balls in behind them but were too tired / sitting to deep to latch onto it and they comfortably dealt with it. Matondo for Kent is what i'd have done after about 70 mins

That's a fair point, but I don't think any manager should ever be under pressure to play his most expensive players. If Barasic keeps playing well he shouldn't lose his place and that goes for any player.

Don't think Colak should be losing his place either once Morelos is fully fit unless he plays badly.