Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

5 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Tell ye something his tactical awareness is extremely impressive. 

That’s it for me. Has the ability to make changes and sort the game out. Not the same formation and approach to every match until the last few minutes when you throw on an extra forward. 

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

That’s it for me. Has the ability to make changes and sort the game out. Not the same formation and approach to every match until the last few minutes when you throw on an extra forward. 

Really impressed me last night especially when Aribo and Jack forced his hand as well. The balls to go 3-5-2 at times last night was unbelievable. 

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

Really impressed me last night especially when Aribo and Jack forced his hand as well. The balls to go 3-5-2 at times last night was unbelievable. 

There was times last night especially in the 1st half we basically played 3-4-3, it worked really well as it always kept Leipzig stretched.

Rewatching the post-match celebrations again, and another thing I love is that this brings GVB's illustrious cv and the squad's closer together. 

He's no longer the guy that went on to do these amazing things in elite world football so listen to me, this squad has now too.

His education in Dutch total football has to have had an influence on his tactical flexibility, combined with superb man management.

I also think it makes a difference that he never loses it on the sidelines, that when team look over to him and take instruction he looks in total control and focus.

Always was first choice for me when gerrard left and hasn't dissapointed - ok the league has gone but when you think about it they haven't lost  since september or something and if we'd have beat them at Ibrox a few weeks ago we'd be level going into the last three games. Give him the summer transfer window with a good budget (£12 - £15 mill)  and watch us go next season in the league, whether we get into the  champions league or not (think we will)

Crazy some wanted him gone (same as Lundstram), some posters are fckn wee dramma queens. 

9 hours ago, stevemac said:

Genuinely only club I think he'd leave us for is Barca, which you couldn't blame him for turning that kind of opportunity down, but honestly can't see it happening, despite his history and ties to the club. 

I think after his time in china Gio will be well wary of the grass appearing to be greener elsewhere.

22 hours ago, Orange Persson said:

It is a man who has us playing total football with goals from the team, rather than an individual striker. He said we can cover for Alfie and was right.

We used to experience a lot of draws/losses when Morelos was out.  Built the team around him but were far too reliant on him.

Gio doesn't stick to the same formation when Morelos is out the way Gerrard used to. He makes tactical changes to get the best out of the players available.

It took Gio a while to fine tune his tactics but they are paying dividends now. The fact that we are in a European final whithout a recognised striker and without key players such as Helander, Ramsey, and Hagi is testament to that. 

On 06/05/2022 at 01:33, King Jela said:

Goldson and Tav have consistently been back to their best under him, Bassey has came on leaps and bounds, he's turned Lundstram into some freak of nature as both centre back and centre midfielder and he got Morelos scoring again. 

He's improved so many players. Genuinely never doubting the guy again. A Europa League final. Fucking amazing, gaffer. 

Tav is such a better player with less defensive duties, playing as a wingback has allowed him to thrive,and i dare say so is barisic, 

Can see him adopting the 352 even for domestic games next season, its easy to make it an attacking system

8 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

We used to experience a lot of draws/losses when Morelos was out.  Built the team around him but were far too reliant on him.

Gio doesn't stick to the same formation when Morelos is out the way Gerrard used to. He makes tactical changes to get the best out of the players available.

It took Gio a while to fine tune his tactics but they are paying dividends now. The fact that we are in a European final whithout a recognised striker and without key players such as Helander, Ramsey, and Hagi is testament to that. 

Frightening how a new manager needs time wether its a settled squad or not

The most impressive thing about Gio is he seems to be able to make lineups that genuinely make me think wtf is going on.... then the team go out and pull off epic performances.  Wright starting two Euro semis is a call none of us would have made.

51 minutes ago, RDB14 said:

The most impressive thing about Gio is he seems to be able to make lineups that genuinely make me think wtf is going on.... then the team go out and pull off epic performances.  Wright starting two Euro semis is a call none of us would have made.

Tbf wright doesn't start if any striker is fit

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Frightening how a new manager needs time wether its a settled squad or not

Aye, successful managerial transitions usually take time Jim. The new manager needs to stamp his ethos on the team and bring his own players in. Usually takes seasons as opposed to months.

The odds are against you when you take over a club mid season who conceded the first goal 6 times games in a row and are dropping needless points.

Gio has us in a Euro and domestic final and he hasn't even been manager for a season! No pre-season, hadn't met our squad, only the January transfer window to bring fresh blood in with limited funds.

Credit to you Jim mate. You didn't flap when things were going pear shaped. You knew he was a good manager and stood up for him. There weren't many of us.