Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

He can change a game with subs/tactics. I just hope he can make some decent signings before the CL qualifiers. Playing the last few games and especially the cup finals without starting a recognised striker was tough.

Essential-Need a big robust striker that can score for fun.

Essential-Need a quality centre back if Goldson definitely away

Got to give Lowry game time in pre season friendlies to see if he is up to it.

Other signings will depend on who leaves

Just one thing regarding our league form under him and I suppose a couple of positives to take from it. 

In his 24 league games we picked up 56 points compared to celtic's 64 which on the face of it is not great. However take away the 3 games against them it looks a much more respectable 55-57. Then you factor in how some of those points were dropped with 3 absolute clangers at Ross County along with horrible finishing and officiating at Tannadice it doesn't look so bad on him as he was let down by the players at times.

Obviously you cannot discount the celtic games but when you compare the last 2 compared to his first to it is night and day with the improvements we've shown. Things will be tight with them in the next couple of years but he definetely has an edge over them now. Just unfortunately it was a little too late this season.

A lot to get excited about going forward under Gio.

23 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

Just one thing regarding our league form under him and I suppose a couple of positives to take from it. 

In his 24 league games we picked up 56 points compared to celtic's 64 which on the face of it is not great. However take away the 3 games against them it looks a much more respectable 55-57. Then you factor in how some of those points were dropped with 3 absolute clangers at Ross County along with horrible finishing and officiating at Tannadice it doesn't look so bad on him as he was let down by the players at times.

Obviously you cannot discount the celtic games but when you compare the last 2 compared to his first to it is night and day with the improvements we've shown. Things will be tight with them in the next couple of years but he definetely has an edge over them now. Just unfortunately it was a little too late this season.

A lot to get excited about going forward under Gio.

Pretty sure he has a better points per game record than Gerrard this season in the league, and that’s with him being thrown in the deep end when he arrived and having livi, hibs, hearts away etc when he’d barely met the squad, could be wrong but think I read that somewhere. 

4 minutes ago, hando said:

Pretty sure he has a better points per game record than Gerrard this season in the league, and that’s with him being thrown in the deep end when he arrived and having livi, hibs, hearts away etc when he’d barely met the squad, could be wrong but think I read that somewhere. 

It's actually pretty marginal in terms of ppg overall. Gio has 2.33 ppg whereas Gerrard had 2.31 ppg. The big difference is when you take out the celtic games. Gio has 2.62 ppg against the other 10 teams whereas Gerrard was 2.25 ppg this season.

Gio's bottom 10 ppg isn't far off the number we got last season when we went unbeaten (2.71 ppg). Take that over those 34 games we picked up 92 points last season and under Gio we'd have picked up 89 points which is still superb. The obvious bright point here is that he has improved against celtic so should, hopefully, pick up more points against them next season.

4 hours ago, bam74 said:

He can change a game tactically with his subs which is a refreshing change from Gerard where it was just like for like all the time and usually too late. Plus the way he conducts himself off the park is totally fitting of a Rangers manager. He's class.

His subs seem a tad odd at times but they usually work. They are often married with a change in tactics/formation. 

No more sticking to plan A for us. Gio adjusts tactics often and decisively. 

Just now, RFC55 said:

He makes changes we all scratch our heads at but he’s fucking good at it 

:lol:

Never a truer word said. 

Gio plays Lundstrum as a CB, Aribo as a striker and changes from a 443 to a 541/ 352, etc. 

It's hard to keep up with the formation changes at times, but he has the players well drilled in them and everything clicks. 

8 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

His subs seem a tad odd at times but they usually work. They are often married with a change in tactics/formation. 

No more sticking to plan A for us. Gio adjusts tactics often and decisively. 

Bang on with this . Gerrard made changes that were like for like and kept the same formation and tactics .

He has proved what everyone with any football knowledge knew already that he is clearly an upgrade on Gerrard in terms of tactics. He has also managed to do so with shite recruitment from ross wilson. 

Im excited to see what he can do with his own players (if he gets to pick them). Id love to know just how much say our managers have in terms of recruitment. 

Was looking at what players Gio signed at Feyenoord - Berghuis probably being the pick of the bunch.

Not sure if this has been highlighted before but noticed an interesting quirk when looking at their league results.

2015/16 - lost 9 league games in total, 7 of which were in a row between 20th December and 14th Feb.

2016/17 - best season, won the league, only lost 4, mainly towards the end of the season.

2017/18 - lost 8 in total, 5 losses were in 8 games between 21st Jan and 3rd March.

2018/19 - lost 9 in total, 6 came in 12 games between 16th Dec and 31st March.

Tended to finish most seasons really strongly, 6 wins from 7 in 2018/19, 8 in a row in 17/18, 8 wins two draws in 15/16.

Although we didn't have the same amount of losses, the timing of the bad patches reminded me of ours this season a bit where we won 3 games in 8 between 18th Jan and 27th Feb.

Really like and respect the guy, what he has done and how he carries himself. A true Ranger for me.

He has all the capabilities to be successful, but will live and die by success of his signings.

This needs to be Gio's signings, not Ross Wilsons. And for Gios systems to work, we need FIT players and established pros. I'd also like to see us get a bit of extra bite and some more goalscorers. We dont score enough, and thats what you need going through those blips, someone to dig you out of the inevitable dodgy winter/midweek/post Euro performance.

And maybe a potential Billy Gilmour loan aside, any untested young players shld only come through our own ranks, and we shld be signing players that will jump straight into the first team and are making the next step or looking at us as stepping stone for EPL etc. No issue with that if they deliver and make us money. 

The thing i’ve liked the most about Gios teams of late was how aggressive we’ve been, especially in Europe, when the other side have had the ball.

I hope he gets the chance to bring in players that fit this style of play and isn’t forced into signing the old squad players we have due to lack of funds.

For run of mill SPL games we have got to be more attacking. Smother these teams, treat them with disdain.

Even on Saturday in Cup Final i thought we went back to passive football, side to side then back, for 70 mins until Kamara came on.

On 22/05/2022 at 08:04, Ambrogio said:

Bang on with this . Gerrard made changes that were like for like and kept the same formation and tactics .

Gio does that as well, but only if it suits, he brought Wright on fot diallo in the cup final because we were dominating and the system at that point was working, he could have panicked and brought on a striker but he didnt

6 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Except for Sands in a European final. I could scratch a hole in my head at that 

It was to move lundstram into midfield, once jack went off we missed a bit of bite in the middle with lundstram dropping to sweeper when we were defending, sands filled that role and lundstram moved into the middle consistently 

7 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Except for Sands in a European final. I could scratch a hole in my head at that 

Was that not a change to 5 at back with Tav and Bassey pushing forward? Usually he moves Lundstrum back in but I think he wanted his dominance in the midfield.

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

It was to move lundstram into midfield, once jack went off we missed a bit of bite in the middle with lundstram dropping to sweeper when we were defending, sands filled that role and lundstram moved into the middle consistently 

Sorry, it was Sands in a European final. Before Roofe or Ramsey we brought in Sands 

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Do roofe or ramsey play defensive mid? 

Shape should have been changed and we should have went for it. We had an unused sub in Balogun if he wanted another defender. Sands is a piss poor footballer and should never have seen that final 

42 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

For me the issue with that sub wasn't Sands, in fact he was the best option to fill that role. It was that we did it well into extra time rather than a bit sooner. 

As you say it could let Lundstram influence the game and give us more options to pass out rather than the Goldson diagonal!

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Gio does that as well, but only if it suits, he brought Wright on fot diallo in the cup final because we were dominating and the system at that point was working, he could have panicked and brought on a striker but he didnt

True mate. A was more thinking gerrard done it when it was clear it wasn’t working and a change of formation / tactics etc was needed