Recruitment

There’s a great spine there if we can keep it.

Mcgregor needs replaced. What a servant but too old for next season. Alexander probably fine.

Tav, Bassey and Goldson are very good. Ok one switch off last night but by and large they were excellent.

Barisic-punt. He was dreadful last night and his anxiety and pass backs filtered through the whole team.

Lundstrum, Kamara and Jack more than good enough for CDM.

Nail Morelos down and sign a fit back up striker. Get rid of the dead wood. And develop Lowry into the attacking threat we’ve been crying out for.

Its on a tightrope. Keep the majority, punt the deadwood. Sign a great attacker and left back or CB and we have a great team. Equally lose Kent and Morelos. And you’re looking at a front 3 that’s not capable of winning the league.

Can we start shopping in the Japanese market btw? What a player that Kamada boy was

2 minutes ago, TheMightyGer said:

Don't think we need a massive rebuild tbh as we have the core of a good squad. What we do need is 4 quality players to come straight into the first team. Hopefully spend a bit of money to make that happen. New contract for Morelos also v important. 

Mcgregor past it, Davis past it, Goldson out of contract, Helander always injured, Roofe always injured  Barisic heart of a mouse, Kamara and Aribo not really wanting to stay it seems. Thats a big rebuild and based on Wilsons last 4 transfer windows Gio should be getting fired around Xmas 2022 unless he does a Gerrard before then. Pessimistic review of what might happen. Hope not.

Nucleus of the team is decent but we need to improve our attacking options 

Lack of goals in general and midfielders chipping in is the biggest issue - So much burden on Morelos

We have been crying out for a RW similar to Kent for seasons

We have a lot of deadwood that are offering little - Need to use the youngster’s more and add real improvement to the starting 11

Think there are some players in Scotland who will be worth looking at too. I wanted us to go for Fuchs from Dundee United. Cost Peterborough £150k and came 3rd in their player of the season voting despite only joining in January. They got relegated but he apparently really impressed and they want £10m for him now. I know they’re always like that with transfers but would have been a low-risk option with sell-on potential. I know people liked Baningime at Hearts too although not sure how he’s done since January. 

6 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I'm not sure about this tbh.

Due to various circumstances, I think apart from Bassey, Morelos, Tav, McLaughlin and Lundstram there is an argument all could be sold. 

McGregor - Retire

Balogun, Roofe, Helander and Jack all injury prone. Ofoborh heart issue.

Aribo, Kent inconsistent and a year left on their deals. Kamara not been good enough this year.

Diallo, Ramsey hopefully away, Sands can join them imo.

Itten, Simpson and Davis should be let go.

Wouldn't have gave Arfield a new deal either tbh.

The problem is we can't change a whole squad.

I think Morelos could easily be sold too tbh. I don’t think we will want him walking away for nothing in a years time.

40 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Jack struggles to complete 90 minutes now. Great player for us when he’s fit but much like Roofe and Helander his fitness can’t be relied on anymore.

This is it we cannot continue with players who although good players do not have the level of fitness to play a full season.

15 minutes ago, TheMightyGer said:

Don't think we need a massive rebuild tbh as we have the core of a good squad. What we do need is 4 quality players to come straight into the first team. Hopefully spend a bit of money to make that happen. New contract for Morelos also v important. 

I know it’s stating the obvious, but winning last night offers more in prestige in CL entry, and the rewards, than being Europa league winners.

Losing will affect our business.

we can’t guarantee cl football to potential signings, a thought 6 month ago we’d all have scoffed at.

Losing last night changes everything. From signings, actual pre season training.

the players and potential new players will be back within 3-4 weeks tops. 
another 11 month season coming up.

It’s actually worse losing last night than 2008, because the carrot for winning is incredible for teams, like us and Frankfurt.

a team sitting 10th in their league who haven’t won a league match since March go into pot 1 of CL?

mental.

6 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I think Morelos could easily be sold too tbh. I don’t think we will want him walking away for nothing in a years time.

It would depend on how much was offered mate, I think he's more valuable to us over a season in the league and Europe than selling him for under £10m.

I'm sure the board said the run in the Europa League has been worth more than reaching the Champions League groups. Granted we've settled the SD case but this board have to dip their hands in their pockets this summer.

Aribo, Morelos and Kent. Here's your contract offer, sign or sell. We can't lose any of those for nothing.

If we invest cash in the right areas and the right players we make it back when we qualify for Champions League. It's not a guarantee but group stage football is. I think not going out and signing the likes of Veerman cost us big this season, we have to learn from those mistakes.

I know a while back there was talk that Aribo was off to Palace so I'm not sure if that's still the case now but I'd hope we can convince 1 or 2 of those 3 to stay. 

Either way, we are obviously losing Goldson and I think 2 of Aribo, Morelos, Kent and Kamara.

Huge summer.

18 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Think there are some players in Scotland who will be worth looking at too. I wanted us to go for Fuchs from Dundee United. Cost Peterborough £150k and came 3rd in their player of the season voting despite only joining in January. They got relegated but he apparently really impressed and they want £10m for him now. I know they’re always like that with transfers but would have been a low-risk option with sell-on potential. I know people liked Baningime at Hearts too although not sure how he’s done since January. 

Go home Peterborough, you Sir, are drunk

14 minutes ago, Smile said:

This is it we cannot continue with players who although good players do not have the level of fitness to play a full season.

I think there's a few players that have the quality worth the risk of niggles. 

The problem is we have so many of them. Jack, Roofe, Helander, Balogun (to a degree). We then signed Ramsey and have another in Souttar comign in. We can't carry 5-6 players that are going to miss a big chunk of games. We suffered two bad injuries in Hagi and Morelos as well on top of that. It just stretches the rest of the squad too thin and risks losing them to injury as well.

Roofe is a player that I think possesses so much quality but it's clear that we are never going to get a 12-15 game run out of him. 

The funds for the run will certainly go some way, and providing spent correctly we can still perform well in the CL early rounds next season. We are destined to sell some players, not through lack of funds but with contract situations and at deals thar benefit the club. I think aribo and morelos are likely to go so that should somewhat plug the gap between funds raised for our European adventure and our failure to secure CL guaranteed football, shift a few more dead wood players and hopefully gio is allowed to go for realistic signings. We arent currently far away from where we need to be to win the league again, the gap at the top shows that. And that is realistically all that matters, as amazing as European nights are, win the league and you get plenty enough cash even if you get spanked out of CL early doors.

3 minutes ago, Johnsey said:

I think there's a few players that have the quality worth the risk of niggles. 

The problem is we have so many of them. Jack, Roofe, Helander, Balogun (to a degree). We then signed Ramsey and have another in Souttar comign in. We can't carry 5-6 players that are going to miss a big chunk of games. We suffered two bad injuries in Hagi and Morelos as well on top of that. It just stretches the rest of the squad too thin and risks losing them to injury as well.

Roofe is a player that I think possesses so much quality but it's clear that we are never going to get a 12-15 game run out of him. 

We also carry Nnamdi Ofoborh as well. 

This is going to be an overhaul summer.

At least a dozen outgoings. More if some like Aribo and Morelos don't sign extensions.

Need to push out Barisic, Kamara, Simpson, Katic, and more, plus those out of contract all need to go.

We could sign 11 new starters and we'd not be top heavy squad wise.

9 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

At least a dozen outgoings...

We suggest this every summer without a league win. As much as it feels like it should happen now, it rarely does. And our record of buying/loaning quantity over quality of late isn't encouraging.

Think we'll have a good transfer budget in the summer with Gerrard+Patterson money and our Euro run even before selling the players on the last year of their deals.

Good chance to get our business done early and qualify for the Champions league. 

Gio needs to work out what the core of his team will be and then build around it. Lots of comings and goings but Bassy, Lowry, King, Lundstram would be the core I would build around, everyone else is sellable. Have a look at who will be staying and if they are good enough. No more Ramsey projects, no more injury prone players no matter how good they are, they are no good on the treatment table. Sell for the maximum we can get and use the money to build. We must have made a few bob out of our Europa run, so that will help. We must get our transfers right this season.

We can’t get rid of everyone 

For the starting 11 next season ideally I would like to see McLaughlin, tav, bassey, lundstrum Lowry, kent, Morelos. 

I’d sell aribo as I don’t think he will sign a new deal. Kamara can go for a decent offer, anything for barasic and Itten and the rest that are out of contract can go as well.

we really need to sign quality , no more squad filling shite. Hopefully Gio has a few good targets in mind 

After last night, I'm expecting players to leave. Goldson, Ariblo, Kamara & Kent will all leave.

The starting 11 who play in the CL qualifier may look more or less unrecognizable.

Will Morelos, Helander & Hagi be ready to start? 

There is a lot of work to do.