Recruitment

Hopefully we learn the lessons of last season and any ‘sellable assets’ are sold if they won’t sign new contracts or indicate they don’t want to be here. 

Fully expect Goldson, Barisic to be gone and probably Aribo, Kent & Kamara. Hoping we can get another season out of Morelos. 

Holding onto some of these players I think cost us this year domestically. Goldson, Barisic, Kamara & Kent really had substandard seasons outwith EL run and if we didn’t have European football their value would’ve plummeted massively. 

The thing is with a rebuild, success doesn't happen overnight. Now that it did happen across the city there will be expectations that a rebuild has to work straight away which is very difficult.

We absolutely need to be smart about signings. We need to bring in players with sell on value which Wilson has failed to do. The likes of Davis, Balougun, Helander, Arfield etc are all injury prone or the wrong side of 30 and need moved on but have no sell on value. It's madness giving Arfield new contract and would be to do the same with Davis. Leagues like the Scandinavian league have absolute gems on a budget if scouting is done but I fear we don't do that. I mean the likes of Sakala and Itten are just rotten signings tbh.

If there is any substance to the Gilmour rumour then it is a no brainer for me. I know people are never keen on loan deals but he only has one year left on his contract so we could maybe get him permanently after that. Chelsea have handled him very poorly.

I've been an avid Ryan Jack fan but he looks to have lost a step since returning from injury. A midfield three of Lundstram - Gilmour - Lowry sounds promising.

Replacing Goldson will be the hardest recruitment of them all.

I expect a decent turn over of players this summer and I think GVB will be backed to rebuild the squad

We've probably made somewhere between 30-35 million from this years europa league. Throw in the Patterson fee and the money we got for Gerrard. You are looking at 50+million. 

The future looks good we are certainly on the up. Champions league football next season would really take us to a different level. Huge games ahead. 

There certainly needs to be a trimming of the squad. Players who have never really featured at any stage of the season.

Simpson, Ofoborh, Itten, Katic and Helander most have had injury problems or have been out on loan but It looks like Goldson could be away and Barasic I think will leave as well along with McGregor retiring would leave us with a possible defence of...

McRorie

Tavernier     Souttar      Balogun       Bassey      with young King as a back up

Lundstram

Then Amad going back to Man City and Ramsey back to Juventus. I would like to see Sands gone and its possible Kamara and Aribo sold leaves us with

Wright , Jack Arfield Hagi Davis, Sakala     with only Lowry, McCann and possibly McKinnon good enough to step in.

Meaning we will need at least three possibly four first team standard midfielders.

Upfront Roofe appears injury prone. Itten is on the outer and Morelos and Kent possibly sold leaves us massively short on good strikers.

If all the predictions are on or close to the mark this will mean a massive rebuild in the summer for midfield and attack.

Question is who can we get or afford that will give us a real chance in the domestic competitions and Europe.

1 hour ago, KingKirk said:

I expect a decent turn over of players this summer and I think GVB will be backed to rebuild the squad

We've probably made somewhere between 30-35 million from this years europa league. Throw in the Patterson fee and the money we got for Gerrard. You are looking at 50+million. 

The future looks good we are certainly on the up. Champions league football next season would really take us to a different level. Huge games ahead. 

I took the view that in the Summer we would have been confident of qualifying for the Champions League with the £30-odd-million that brings, crashing out has been made up for with the Europa run. Patterson's sale tided us over from failing to qualify for the Champs League and the semi-expected subsequent sell-off that never happened. In other words I think it's possible we needed a return on investment and we've basically took the season to pull in what we should have at near the start.

I could be entirely wrong as I'm reading between the lines with no real knowledge as to our affairs but did anyone think it was a good idea to have Goldson as our number 1 CB at the start of the season knowing he would be out of contract this Summer? Did the Malmo game not then confirm we needed someone else? Did the failure at both stages to recruit not suggest that we weren't in a position to spend?! 

Having failed to qualify I thought a sell-off would happen to "balance the books" and it didn't happen, at that stage I thought 'maybe we're more secure financially than I thought' but we were linked with handy looking affordable types last Summer and January and nothing happened with them, instead we sold Patterson and bring in 2 injury prone loans, a Polish guy nobody knew in a position Patterson couldn't get a sniff in, and Sands - An American who appeared to be nothing we needed and average at it. The end result of that recruitment is that they offered nothing towards winning the league with a certain £30-odd million + bounty attached and contributed hee haw in our quest for the Europa. A substantial amount of money missed out on either by shocking recruitment or by financial constraints upon recruitment.

Essentially we had last Summer and January to rework things for the better, we had extra impetuce to do so after coming up short against Malmo. Between that Malmo tie, the league and the Europa Final we've missed out on 3 opportunities to secure £30+ million in the 1 season; surely this indicates that we didn't have the money to do so?!

As a side - I personally felt selling Aribo following malmo was possible and should have been done in January, he hadn't started where he left off last season, he would have commanded a good fee you'd imagine and we'd avoid a Goldson situation from happening again, it could have been used to strengthen us in January (up until that point I felt he was a shaddow of the player he was the season before).

Not sure if you'd (or anyone else) would agree with any of this?!

The first two signings we should be making are Doig at LB to replace Barisic and Ferguson to replace Jack in midfield. Two Scottish boys who know the league, are talented and have a bit of bite (irrespective of the pish folk on here spout about them). 

That allows us to retain our flexibility in our team with Bassey at CB to start games, easily shifting to a 3 at the back where he excels and Lundstram can drop deep or push up depending on the game situation. 

Doig is 20, Ferguson is 22. Between them they have 200 professional appearances already. 

After that we need a proper top quality RW and reliable CB if Goldson is definitely away. Solbakken on a bosman from Bodo/Glimt could be the RW we need. 23 years old Norwegian international, would cost no money and his wages wouldn't be ridiculous. If we aren't at least enquiring about him then Wilson truly is a fucking clown.

If Kent, Morelos and Aribo fail to sign new contracts we have to sell at least 2 of them - I don't think we can really afford (from a playing perspective) to lose all 3 in one window, so we might need to just let one of them run their contract down. 

55 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if that Kipre news is legitimate. We were interested in him when he was at Motherwell 

Brutal

Would be very ingesting to see how Ryan Jack would react to it if we signed him. Shouldn’t even be on the table considering it was Kipre’s awful tackle which really started his injury problems.

5 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Would be very ingesting to see how Ryan Jack would react to it if we signed him. Shouldn’t even be on the table considering it was Kipre’s awful tackle which really started his injury problems.

Hoping that we punt Jack in the summer and don't sign Cipre so we don't need to find out. 

How long did Jack last the other night? 75 mins or something? 

He's one of my favourite players at the club but he just turned 30 and he can't play twice a week or even a full 90 once a week. 

I expect Goldson, Davis, Barisic, Kamara, Balogun, Itten, Simpson and McGregor to be away. I’d like Katic to be assessed properly by Gio and his team before a final decision is made. I still hope he has a future with us. Helander can leave whenever he likes imo. God knows what’s happening with Ofoborh, updates from the club non-existent.

Core squad for next season probably:

McLaughlin, McCrorie, AN Other

Tavernier, Souttar, King, Bassey, Sands, Katic, A N Other x 2 minimum

Jack, Arfield, McCann, Lowry, Hagi, Lundstram, Aribo, AN Other x 2 

Morelos, Kent, Wright, Sakala, Roofe, A N Other x 2

Lots of work for our recruitment team to do, really hope they up their game significantly.

31 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Hoping that we punt Jack in the summer and don't sign Cipre so we don't need to find out. 

How long did Jack last the other night? 75 mins or something? 

He's one of my favourite players at the club but he just turned 30 and he can't play twice a week or even a full 90 once a week. 

It’s a problem right through the spine of the team - Helander, Jack, Roofe - all good players but all far too unreliable when it comes to fitness.

1 hour ago, psb07158 said:

The first two signings we should be making are Doig at LB to replace Barisic and Ferguson to replace Jack in midfield. Two Scottish boys who know the league, are talented and have a bit of bite (irrespective of the pish folk on here spout about them). 

That allows us to retain our flexibility in our team with Bassey at CB to start games, easily shifting to a 3 at the back where he excels and Lundstram can drop deep or push up depending on the game situation. 

Doig is 20, Ferguson is 22. Between them they have 200 professional appearances already. 

After that we need a proper top quality RW and reliable CB if Goldson is definitely away. Solbakken on a bosman from Bodo/Glimt could be the RW we need. 23 years old Norwegian international, would cost no money and his wages wouldn't be ridiculous. If we aren't at least enquiring about him then Wilson truly is a fucking clown.

If Kent, Morelos and Aribo fail to sign new contracts we have to sell at least 2 of them - I don't think we can really afford (from a playing perspective) to lose all 3 in one window, so we might need to just let one of them run their contract down. 

For both would cost 10+million mate no danger I'd be spending that. 

48 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Wouldn't go near Ferguson, absolutely bang average.

Doig has also had a poor season. Jury is still out if he had a purple patch or not.

I wouldn't say he's bang average mate but for the price the sheep would want am sure we could get better 

1 hour ago, psb07158 said:

I like Ferguson more than most but the fee puts me off big time. I suppose like in England there is a premium for English players because the Euro nationality rules but we can sign someone in Europe for half the price and supplement the squad with our youth which I think we should be doing anyway. Lowry and King should absolutely just be part of the 22 now (well I suppose they are).

Not a fan of Doig at all though.