Morelos new contract 'all but in place' - Chris Jack

2 minutes ago, don logan said:

McCoist wasn't that great a finisher. Missed far more than he scored.

Most strikers do ,Getting in the right place at the right time is only part of the job .

Watching modern football these days (following shots on target betting etc) Its amazing how few chances most of the top players actually get in games these days .

Massive statement of intent of the club can get this over the line. 

The player trading model is obviously the future for us but we also need to be able to hold on to some of our top talent along the way as well 

Morelos gets nowhere near the level of service from midfield that the likes of McCoist had. A lot of Morelos' goals are from his own hard work.

I like the squad Gio has assembled though, I am quite excited at the thought of a fit and firing Morelos in this team next season.

You do wonder what the hold up could be. Is it simply money? In which case it's not great. Surely our record European scorer, 5 year serving player, title winning goal machine wants to stay at the club and money isn't an issue? Is he wanting a realistic release clause in his contract? Is that what's holding it up? Seems a bit strange both parties have allowed such a situation to fester and continue. The thought of him seeing out his contract and leaving for nothing is unthinkable. He kind of has the club over a barrel because no one is going to pay a fee for him this window. He then gets to January and can talk to anyone he wants and leave for next to nothing. 

Graeme 4 is correct, Jelavic was a better player. That isn't even debatable imo. I also really liked Cousin. Then there is Prso, Boyd, Novo all of whom contributed to great success at the club before we get to Mols, Wallace, McCoist etc etc etc. Morelos has won 1 trophy in almost 6 years. Now the club is settled and the team is strong enough to compete, last season should have been his breakthrough season to truly be spoken about in the same terms as those other names but injury curtailed that. It would be a shame if he saw out his contract and didn't fulfil what some our fans think he can achieve here. I'd love to see him play in this seasons team with all these attacking players we have now. Especially Yilmaz who looks like he could be an assist king! 

Came here for Morelos news as I really hope we have him and Colak fully fit for the season ahead

but….I’m left wondering how the hell a guy with two European golden boots, multiple 30/40+ goal seasons including one at 49 goals and 355 altogether in a Rangers jersey isn’t a great finisher?

the varied amount of goals Ally scored from tap ins to belters with either foot or headers was immense, I like Morelos and he has a case in Europe but his finishing overall is pretty poor at times that his better goals really stick in your head 

13 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

The thing that really annoys me is over the years McCoist has been memorised into a penalty box poacher reliant on others. He really wasn't. In reality he was an excellent footballer who could play off either foot and often was involved in moves that he finished off much earlier. It's a shame assist stats from his era don't exist.

Agreed he was actually pretty quick, very agile and like you said could link up well, even take it by a player for a shot etc.

Don’t get me wrong he absolutely did poach and score the shitty goals as well but I can remember plenty of chips, volleys, long Rangers all kinds of goals in fact there’s plenty of footage out there as well.