Derek Ferguson

MacBoyd

9 hours ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

Souness and him didn’t see eye to eye.  Played again him a few times as youths and trials. Thought he was a very good player.  Similar to his wee brother in style but not quite as good.

Really? He was before my time but my da and everyone of his generation say if he had the right attitude and stayed injury free he would’ve been better than Barry talent/ability wise.  Just wondering btw as a said never seen him. 

5 minutes ago, KyleBJK said:

Really? He was before my time but my da and everyone of his generation say if he had the right attitude and stayed injury free he would’ve been better than Barry talent/ability wise.  Just wondering btw as a said never seen him. 

He was a very good player.  Loved his style, like Barry, head up, control fantastic.  He was close to Durrant and Ally by all accounts and Souness didn't take to him at all.  Who knows if he had stayed.

54 minutes ago, murzo said:

A bit like Charlie Miller in that he  should have had a better career with us than he did as he had the ability. Whether it was his attitude or injuries  (seemed to dislocate his shoulder a fair bit if I remember right), it just didn’t happen. 

Another player who had all the ability in the world but just didnt know how to get the head down and ignore all the noise. 

Seem to remember Miller getting a bad injury or two as well. That wouldnt have helped. Shame. 

Another in a long list of homegrown and homebased Scottish boys whose potential talent was vastly over egged by fans and media alike. Illustrated by the fact he only ever won a handful of caps for Scotland...

Spent half his time in Burnbank masonic and the Cricklewood pissing his career away.

He certainly was not over-egged, he had the ability to do great things in the game. Sounness saw him as his successor. 

Pissed his career up against a wall. Fuck all to do with being overhyped 

14 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

Couldn't stay sober for more than 2 minutes, wasted talent. Better than Barry potential-wise.

Defo have to agree he was better than Barry at the same age .Didn’t kick on at all in his 20s .I can’t even remember where he went after he was at Hearts .Goes to show how mediocre his career actually was .

On the plus though maybe his own mistakes made sure his wee bro didn’t make the same ones .

2 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Defo have to agree he was better than Barry at the same age .Didn’t kick on at all in his 20s .I can’t even remember where he went after he was at Hearts .Goes to show how mediocre his career actually was .

On the plus though maybe his own mistakes made sure his wee bro didn’t make the same ones .

He went to Sunderland. I remember him signing for Adelaide City too in the old Australian league. The Rangers Monthly did a feature on all Rangers players who were out there at the time like Stuart Munro and David Mitchell. 

4 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He went to Sunderland. I remember him signing for Adelaide City too in the old Australian league. The Rangers Monthly did a feature on all Rangers players who were out there at the time like Stuart Munro and David Mitchell. 

Sunderland ,remember that now 👍